cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High cpu temps g751jy

Boom_austin
Level 7
under basically a max cpu load around 85%-100% usage im getting temps per core most cores 85-90c and one up to 93. keep in mind the stress im putting on the cpu had been for over an hour at high usage. im just wondering if i should be concerned.

i was reading on other fourms that theres a difference between cpu temp and the temps per core.

my old g75vx had max temps of around 85 per core and that was during a stress test
31 REPLIES 31

Boom_austin
Level 7
wait nevermind im running cpu burner from furmark and my temps arent going higher than 81c per core. idk why i was getting 93s before when i wqant even running a 100% load test

Boom_austin
Level 7
another wait. i figured out to try both a cpu and gpu stress test at the same time and then boom temps are back up to around 92 before i shut the benchmark off because i dont want to wreck this thing

Boom_austin
Level 7
also all these temps im reporting are core temperatures

NitroX
Level 10
This is a common problem for G751 owners (including myself). You can find out more details in these threads:

1) http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54521-Cpu-or-Fan-problem
2) http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55539-G751-Fan-Control-and-Overheating

We (the members of this forum and owners of G751), are currently testing different solutions for these high temps.

You don't have to worry about wrecking the laptop, because the hardware component will automatically throttle if the temps get too high (over 95C). You should also test to see if the maximum temps are constant or just peaks that remain for a brief of a moment. I also was hitting higher temps and now I'm running an undervolted CPU which has better temps. And I also was worried about the high temps it can reach, but after I started to monitor the temps using MSI Afterburners OnScreen Display, I saw that the average temperature was much lower than the highest temperature that HWInfo or HWMonitor showed me.

For the moment, the possible solutions that we've found are to: Undervolt the CPU, raise the rpm of the vents or even do a repaste (for the brave ones).

You could also see the undervolting results I got, over here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52467-Got-your-new-G751JY-G751JT-G751JM-Post-your-review-te...

i have some good news to report. i just the did the undervolt it helped a smidge but the cpu would eventually build up enough heaf (over 10 mins cpu and gpu stressing with furmark and the stress test in intel xtu. so next i went under core and lowered the mutiplier under 3 cores active and 4 cores active to 33x. doing this instantly mady my temps settle down to82-85 during a stress test again. the pcu was running at 3.19ghz so stilla very admirable speed. and after 20 mins of the dual stress trests my temp never went over 85

Boom_austin wrote:
i have some good news to report. i just the did the undervolt it helped a smidge but the cpu would eventually build up enough heaf (over 10 mins cpu and gpu stressing with furmark and the stress test in intel xtu. so next i went under core and lowered the mutiplier under 3 cores active and 4 cores active to 33x. doing this instantly mady my temps settle down to82-85 during a stress test again. the pcu was running at 3.19ghz so stilla very admirable speed. and after 20 mins of the dual stress trests my temp never went over 85

Boom_austin, as long as you are there you can also bump up the 1 core / 2 core active multipliers to OC for single/dual threaded - most - situations.

During the benchmark only the 4 active setting is in effect, so you can try raising the 3 active multiplier to max.

Uusing Intel XTU to set the CPU core/cache multipliers is likely the best/easiest way to avoid Thermal Throttling and get the best performance for the G751's.

NitroX
Level 10
Yup. Strongly confirming what Hmscott said. I did the undervolt for the CPU and I keep my "4 cores" option to x33 when gaming. The temps are damn better now and the CPU ca still handle everything. If the guys from ASUS will eventually release a driver that will raise the RPM for the CPU then we will have even better temps. I just saw a thread today with a guy who has problems with the CPU fan working at maximum RPM which is 4200rpm. From the 3000rpm that I saw when my CPU was at 91C to 4000rpm is a very long distance that could improve the temps significantly.

Boom_austin
Level 7
i know a selling point of this laptop is how quiet it is but thats awesome when just browsing the web or stuff like that. i really with they would sllow the fans to go to full speed. i dont really care if its loud when gaming id rather have loud and cool then hot and quiet

NitroX
Level 10
We all would love that and this is why we will keep the pressure on ASUS in order to release a future driver that will fix the RPMs. I'll make an official feedback these days since we have enough evidence now that the fans are indeed too lazy.