Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Boom_austin View Post
    looks weird to me still any updates on how its gone ?
    I have sent it for RMA just yesterday, cause I was away for some time. Will update this post when I get it back.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Okay, I have got my laptop back from RMA today ( I sent it there for high CPU temps).

They reinstalled OS / drivers and made a combined stress test. During the stress test they got 96°C on CPU after which they wrote that the temperature is under the maximum operational limit (100°C) so they do not see any problem with the temperature.

So, that's it. It is pretty sad if you ask me, they could at least try to repaste it and see if temps would be better or no, since I have bought this laptop mainly for its good cooling system, oh well.
    Posting it here just so other people think twice before sending it for RMA if they have similar temperatures like I do.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Use wishmakers nbfc profile mate thats in the other thread on here. Will sort your temps out for sure. Put all this behind you and start to enjoy your machine. Wait till your nearing the end of your warranty then you can send it in for a repaste.
    Thx for going through the rma process tho ... im sure it will prevent lots of fellow users going down the same road..including me.
    Keep your chin up old bean.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

I'm sorry to hear about your experience Boxis . It seems like ASUS does not give a crap on what we think. I have made an official technical feedback were I specifically explained the problem and still I haven't heard a thing that they are working to solve it or something. Ehh, if we are going to take for good what ASUS tells us, then we should be running safe with CPU temps under 100C. Maybe we are just used to see much lower temps from the older CPU generations.

If you do want to lower your temps quite a bit, I recommend downclocking a bit the CPU using Intel XTU and apply and undervolt. I am currently running the CPU at x32, x31, x30, x30 with the cache at x32 and with an undervolt of -80mv core and -80mv cache. Only with these settings I have reduced the maximum CPU peak to 80-82C while gaming. If I also activate NBFC and set the fans to run at 3300RPM then the maximum temp of the CPU is only 77-78 with the average running at 72-73 .

Don't worry about the underclocking and undervolting because it won't affect the performance too much in apps that don't use 100% of your CPU. In games like AC Unity and Crysis 3 I don't even feel the difference from 3400Mhz to 3000Mhz, but I can sure see much lower temps.

NOTE: Be careful to also lower the cache frequency as I stated earlier because leaving it at x35 or x36 will not lower the temps as much as I said.

ROG Enthusiast Array

First of all - special thanks to NitroX for all of his contributions to this forum. Always good and helpful information. Now, to my question. I successfully undervilted my G751JT to the maximum -90mv/-100mv and now I'm getting some 3-4 degrees cooler temps on standalone CPU stress test (Intel XTU). So, not a huge improvement, but just as expected and also a welcome one, having that is free and a very easy one. Haven't tried the combined CPU/GPU stress test yet (I was getting about 91-92 degress on 30min combined before the undervolt). Anyway, my question is : I have the feeling that the system got a bit sluggish after the undervolt. I know it shouldn't be, but I have to ask - is that possible or I'm just paranoid ?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by joro_abv View Post
    First of all - special thanks to NitroX for all of his contributions to this forum. Always good and helpful information. Now, to my question. I successfully undervilted my G751JT to the maximum -90mv/-100mv and now I'm getting some 3-4 degrees cooler temps on standalone CPU stress test (Intel XTU). So, not a huge improvement, but just as expected and also a welcome one, having that is free and a very easy one. Haven't tried the combined CPU/GPU stress test yet (I was getting about 91-92 degress on 30min combined before the undervolt). Anyway, my question is : I have the feeling that the system got a bit sluggish after the undervolt. I know it shouldn't be, but I have to ask - is that possible or I'm just paranoid ?
    First of all, thank you very much for the appreciations !
    Now, on the topic, the undervolt shouldn't affect your system by any means. Though I have also tested -90mv/-100mv and I was sure that it was stable because it passed the stress test and I could play AC Unity without any problems, but when I have played Crysis 3 I started to get random laptop resets. So, I would advise keeping the undervolting to a -80mv/-80mv in order to be more stable. Those -10/-20mv won't even change very much and this way you know your system will not make any problems.
    I also saw someone saying that a safe undervolt would be anything over 0.6V, so this means that with -80mv/-80mv it will be just at the safe point of 0.6V . I didn't got any random restart since I have used -80mv/-80mv, and this profile was set about 2 months ago. So, yeah, I can say that it is pretty stable.

You could also try to make some profiles that underclock the CPU to x30-x32 (for all 4 cores) when you are gaming very intensely to further reduce the temperature. As I said, you won't notice any performance loss in most games.

Aand, if you are interested I am currently working on a NBFC official profile to increase the CPU's fan rpm at the corresponding temperature thresholds. I have been reading a lot of stuff in the past week and I have found indisputable proof that the CPU fan is running at too low rpm's. For example: The GPU fan goes into 5th state at 75C, which means 75% of maximum rpm. While the CPU only goes to 5th state when it reaches 90C. This is why our GPU is way cooler than the CPU. I did told ASUS that the CPU fan profile is not appropriate but they have ignored me due to lack of proof. So, I have decided to take solve this problem with NBFC.

I will do one profile that only controls the CPU fan as the GPU is already cooling itself very good, and I will also add one profile with controls for both fans just for the people who wants to personally change their fan rpm's. I just have to make some more tests because it seems that are some programs interfering with NBFC and with the laptop's Embedded Controller (EC) which is used by the NBFC to write the new speeds.
    Last edited by NitroX; 02-26-2015 at 01:20 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

You are just paranoid my friend, undervolt should not cause any performance issues, only black screen if you undervolt too much.
    I am also on -100/-90 mV for 2 months now, and no problems on idle or playing games, temps lower like 4-5 degrees.

I also use the fan profile and while gaming it's 81 MAX, and yes combined stress test without profile or undervolt i also had temps over 90 degrees!

It's just how our laptops run, they don't have bottom vents to suck the dust, just the vents to blow out the heat. So less cleaning from dust, but more hotter then it should be.

I have not reduced the multipliers on the CPU, that could cause performance drops, mine is set to default.

Undervolt is just pure genius, had no problem what so ever on max undervolt, playing this machine every day

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks for your answers, guys. NitroX, will follow your advice and go back to -80/-80, to play it fully safe. Indeed, Asus should've listen to such complaints, but I think they just built such a support chain that actually effectively and totally breaks the link between clients and the people that should take real actions and decisions, which makes it awful ... that's what I think at least.

ROG Member Array

Sorry for kinda of necroposting, but Dark Souls 3 came out and while it runs like a charm on my G751 jy @i7-4860, I get between 86 and 92 degrees on cpu. Gpu is nicely down at 76 even on max load, but the cpu is warming up. No throttling or anything, but how to reduce that?
    Don't bring up stuff like cleaning, repaste etc, my laptop is fine, this cpu just heats up naturally. Would a coolpad help? I don't want to underclock my cpu.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

A coolpad would make the hard drives, ram & plastic case cool. It won't reach the sinks or anything that could help. Play under a cieling fan. I noticed a couple degree difference doing it. Other than that... You've ruled out any other solution.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast