cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 2 TB HD stopps spinning

MikeW83
Level 7
Hello,

I'm new with my ASUS G751JY. It's a great notebook, BUT... I have installed some games on the second hard disk (2 TB) and during the game I noticed some lags. I listend to my hard drive and every time when such langs occure the drive stopped spinning and has to start again. I hope you know what I mean.

Is there any possibility to stop this "power saving mode" on my hard disk?

Thank you very much.

Best regards, Michael
13 REPLIES 13

ReDFoX2200
Level 7
in windows go to Power Options -> (select the plan ur are always using)-> Change Advanced power Settings
there you should see Hard disk ->Turn off hard disk after -> type "0" (zero for never)
good luck

MikeW83 wrote:
Hello,

I'm new with my ASUS G751JY. It's a great notebook, BUT... I have installed some games on the second hard disk (2 TB) and during the game I noticed some lags. I listend to my hard drive and every time when such langs occure the drive stopped spinning and has to start again. I hope you know what I mean.

Is there any possibility to stop this "power saving mode" on my hard disk?

Thank you very much.

Best regards, Michael

ReDFoX2200 wrote:
in windows go to Power Options -> (select the plan ur are always using)-> Change Advanced power Settings
there you should see Hard disk ->Turn off hard disk after -> type "0" (zero for never)
good luck

Guys, Windows power save feature isn't the only power management in action, the HDD has APM that can be disabled to stop head parking and powering down done by the HDD on it's own.

quiethdd is a few years old now, but still works. You need to run it at each boot and apply the settings. There is a GUI and CLI commands.

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/#TOC-Windows-Power-Settings:

Disabling APM, setting both values to 255, stops in game load lag.

Have fun 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Guys, Windows power save feature isn't the only power management in action, the HDD has APM that can be disabled to stop head parking and powering down done by the HDD on it's own.

quiethdd is a few years old now, but still works. You need to run it at each boot and apply the settings. There is a GUI and CLI commands.

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/#TOC-Windows-Power-Settings:

Disabling APM, setting both values to 255, stops in game load lag.

Have fun 🙂

Thank you very much. This is working for me. But is there any possibility to make this settings permanent instead of setting the values every time I boot?

MikeW83 wrote:
Thank you very much. This is working for me. But is there any possibility to make this settings permanent instead of setting the values every time I boot?

MikeW83, I haven't had a need for it, but it does use command line options so you could put together a .bat file to run at boot.

hmscott wrote:
MikeW83, I haven't had a need for it, but it does use command line options so you could put together a .bat file to run at boot.

Thank you. I already thought about this solution and give it a try.

MikeW83 wrote:
Thank you. I already thought about this solution and give it a try.

MikeW83, cool.

Please post your .bat and solution info when you are ready 🙂

fabrimacator21
Level 7
Ok... I downloaded queithdd and unzipped it with windows file explorer.( windows 8.1 64 bit) It asked me if queithdd is allow to access hard drive and I hit yes. How do you open it to change the values? Is there a way to check if its running? What am I doing wrong?

fabrimacator21 wrote:
Ok... I downloaded queithdd and unzipped it with windows file explorer.( windows 8.1 64 bit) It asked me if queithdd is allow to access hard drive and I hit yes. How do you open it to change the values? Is there a way to check if its running? What am I doing wrong?

fabrimacator21, read the directions on the site, they have nice diagrams and images of the software configuration, I am sure you will figure it out 🙂

fabrimacator21
Level 7
I think I figured it out... I right clicked on the .exe and hit run as administrator. Just played X plane 10 and now it's SMOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!