cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Asus G751JY] Cannot update BIOS to 204 - [solved]

Karzmu
Level 7
Hello,

I've got a problem with updating BIOS on my G751JY from 202 to 204. I downloaded WinFlash and BIOS for my laptop model but when i choose the bios and then click "flash" button the process ends in below 1 second. When i click "exit" my computer doesn't reboot automatically and when i do it manually the BIOS is not updated.

I wonder if this is the problem that I've got my laptop with no OS previously installed and installed by myself Windows 8.1 64-Bit and Linux Mint 17.1 64-Bit both in legacy mode (not UEFI) in Dual Boot. Windows 8.1 preinstalled on laptops of this kind seems to be installed in UEFI mode.

What can i do to update my BIOS?
5 REPLIES 5

NitroX
Level 10
First of all, you should go for the 205 bios version since that one is the last. From here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/ .
Try with that version and see if it's working. It worked for me and I also installed the windows myself because it came with a free dos version. If this still doesn't work, I think there is something in the bios that might let you update the bios version from there. I can't tell for sure just now because I can't restart the laptop in order to see the bios.

Karzmu
Level 7
I tried with BIOS 205, still the same. I also didn't find anything in the BIOS itself to update it. Can you tell me did you install Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode or Legacy (BIOS) mode?

NitroX
Level 10
I don't have a clue tbh. I just installed the windows from an USB Stick with the regular options :). Sorry for my ignorance on this subject ... If I'll manage to find a solution I'll get back to you.

Karzmu
Level 7
Ok, I found option "Start Easy Flash" in "Advanced" tab in BIOS. Then i copied new bios file on pendrive formatted as FAT32 and was able to update BIOS from this option. Thanks for help 🙂

Karzmu wrote:
...when i choose the bios and then click "flash" button the process ends in below 1 second. When i click "exit" my computer doesn't reboot automatically...

Karzmu wrote:
Ok, I found option "Start Easy Flash" in "Advanced" tab in BIOS. Then i copied new bios file on pendrive formatted as FAT32 and was able to update BIOS from this option. Thanks for help 🙂

Karzmu, your experience with Winflash is a bug, the way around it is to run Winflash again after exiting the first time and select the BIOS to install again and click Install - it will work the 2nd time you select and Apply.

The BIOS built in EasyFlash is good, but it doesn't let you roll back from a bad BIOS, it will refuse to install a lower rev / older Bios.

If you run across a BIOS that is buggy to install the previous good BIOS you need Winflash /nodate to do the Install, so remember the WInflash 2nd Apply works workaround.