cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar Phobeus Sound card humming issue

Hailex
Level 7
So I installed my sound card about a couple weeks ago, but I didn't install the drivers cause my motherboard was crap, so when I switched I installed the drivers and it was working perfectly. Now during the first couple days I used it, I had no issues with it at all. However after a week of using it, my friends told me about a buzzing sound that would come. At first I thought it was my mic boost cause I had it at 30 so I tuned it down to 20. Then it still came and I decided to go research online. I saw other people having this problem and saying you need to move the sound card away from the graphics card as much as possible. Unfortunately I cannot do this due to my case, so now I want to ask, why is an issue like this in the sound card? And doesn't Asus know about this issue?
7 REPLIES 7

Florin
Level 7
I have the same problem on my mic with this card.. till now no success ... not even moving the card in other slots. I now use a 6$ USB mic from Ebay ... i`m pretty sad that i can`t properly use this expensive soundcard ... but at least it`s not buzzing when i listen on it.
i7-4790k + Corsair H80i | Asus Maximus VII Ranger | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 | Sapphire R9-290 OC Vapor-X 4GB | Asus Xonar Phoebus + Audio Technica M50 | 1xSSD Corsair 120 GB | 4x1 TB Seagate HDD | Corsair CX750M | Corsair Carbide 300R | Razer Taipan + Logitech G11 | Windows 10 64bit

I'm glad I looked into this before buying one
What surprises me the most is not the bug, it's the fact that asus and ROG are not doing anything about it
Shame on both of them
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

Undertoker wrote:
I'm glad I looked into this before buying one
What surprises me the most is not the bug, it's the fact that asus and ROG are not doing anything about it
Shame on both of them

If i was to emphasise on MIC quality i would have sold this card in a second, but i really don`t care about this "feature" so i keept it for it`s sound quality ... but if i was to buy it again... i wouldn`t. I would go for creative again.
i7-4790k + Corsair H80i | Asus Maximus VII Ranger | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 | Sapphire R9-290 OC Vapor-X 4GB | Asus Xonar Phoebus + Audio Technica M50 | 1xSSD Corsair 120 GB | 4x1 TB Seagate HDD | Corsair CX750M | Corsair Carbide 300R | Razer Taipan + Logitech G11 | Windows 10 64bit

Iustin_Grainea
Level 7
Yes,this card is a bad joke when try to use a mic!

g13hOMI
Level 7
ya, this card seems to be a bad joke no matter what.

Korth
Level 14
There's a lot of google about Xonar sound card mods. People do all sorts of audiophile upgrades, fix the inputs and outputs, replace the caps, install electrical filters/shielding, even run the card off "clean" battery power. All out of warranty, of course.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Florin
Level 7
I was thinking about making my own OP amp sockets to change them but i`ll keep this in mind for later.