Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	afterIntelCutoff.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	45720
    Quote Originally Posted by zhangyifu View Post
    Good luck with that, we count on you man!
    Thanks for the super words! I had a thought to check the device manager and here is what I find. My rig is definitely on one card now. I am fairly certain the Intel Hd card is turned off on the firmware level. Now we have to see what the effect of this is on the display and the boot sequencing. I hope my gut is right. I feel the worst that can happen is the system acts like it's got no video card until I get the PCIE card to respond. If the pattern follows under these conditions it should recover after a power cycle or two. My guess would be that I'd get stopped at post with a no card signal, and with no OS boot, until the card finally responds. But this is the worst case. The best case is the two cards are vying for supremacy and taking one out of the fight puts everything right. The last time I did something of this magnitude it took a week for results to surface. I have to be very vigilant and patient. I'll try to mix behaviors that seem to be triggers for me in the mean time.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have been running some experiments also. There is a side effect to all this. (someone correct me if I am wrong) If I read right VirtuWatt is a GPU virtualization tool. That being said, what I have done will cut that off. I think it adds the processing power of the Intel on chip system to the Nvida's already awesome power. Now my Elite Dangerous has never liked it anyway so no loss there. I'm not even sure that it was working correctly in the first place, I'm not a big fan of virtualization over raw hardware power. So for me it's no big loss for now. If Asus takes any trouble reading our posts and finally rolls out a fix for this then rolling back should be a non-event. But I wanted to warn anyone following this about my thoughts. Also I know I am stepping out on a limb with only my warranty as a safety net, so I wouldn't follow me unless you understand the risks, and are willing to take them. I wouldn't want anyone bricking their rig on my account.
    Last edited by CyberKP; 01-21-2015 at 04:37 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by zhangyifu View Post
    Just the fps in games.
    Have you tried turning off the virtuWatt ? maybe the virtualization is buggy. Are you stuttering all the time?

ROG Member Array

i didn't install it at all... With DVI everything works perfectly....(one week now) ... the last 2 days i changed DVI to HDMI and chose the PCIe card in BIOS and it works so far... (with the DVI it works immediately (funs blow one time and then silence) but with the HDMI fun go full speed and back 2 times and then it boots normally...) ALSO DVI worked without choosing the PCI in BIOS.. It was set to AUTO and it worked perfectly.....

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by billmavra View Post
    i didn't install it at all... With DVI everything works perfectly....(one week now) ... the last 2 days i changed DVI to HDMI and chose the PCIe card in BIOS and it works so far... (with the DVI it works immediately (funs blow one time and then silence) but with the HDMI fun go full speed and back 2 times and then it boots normally...) ALSO DVI worked without choosing the PCI in BIOS.. It was set to AUTO and it worked perfectly.....
    Ah, so you did change the bios setting like I just did (It was your idea in the first place). I just made one additional change also. I'm going to roll back my multi-monitor support on mine back to the "enabled" default setting. we'll see if we can get two of the machines to behave the same then with same bios settings. If I figure it right that should show the Intel graphics card back in the device manager. The major difference between our systems then is I am running a 4K monitor on the display port ( It's the only way to get the full 60hz on the 4K display I'm using) and you are using the HDMI. If I have more trouble then I can always bios disable the Intel again.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by billmavra View Post
    This makes me wonder also, all the people in the world that don't have this issue. I wonder if they all are using the DVI ports?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey guys, I have been home sick today from work and had a chance to tinker a bit and do some digging on VirtuWatt. It's not what I thought. It's interesting, but pure crap. It does not combine power additively that I can see. It's quite the opposite. It looks like it powers down the discrete video card when it's not needed. To me that's a level of complexity with very little gain and a huge chance for buggy behavior to creep in.

Also just an update, I have been cycling with various behaviors and so far Bill's discovery seems sound with just the one setting change. No sign of the issue and I have both cards back. We'll it's still day one yet though. It also makes complete sense to me with all the original tests I did. That auto setting for primary card might be buggy in the bios with our rigs. Giving it the assertion of which card to solidly use sounds right here. I actually looked for a setting like that the first day I was doing my diagnostics but I never found it. Thanks again Bill !

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKP View Post
    Hey guys, I have been home sick today from work and had a chance to tinker a bit and do some digging on VirtuWatt. It's not what I thought. It's interesting, but pure crap. It does not combine power additively that I can see. It's quite the opposite. It looks like it powers down the discrete video card when it's not needed. To me that's a level of complexity with very little gain and a huge chance for buggy behavior to creep in.

Also just an update, I have been cycling with various behaviors and so far Bill's discovery seems sound with just the one setting change. No sign of the issue and I have both cards back. We'll it's still day one yet though. It also makes complete sense to me with all the original tests I did. That auto setting for primary card might be buggy in the bios with our rigs. Giving it the assertion of which card to solidly use sounds right here. I actually looked for a setting like that the first day I was doing my diagnostics but I never found it. Thanks again Bill !
    Hurrah!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKP View Post
    Have you tried turning off the virtuWatt ? maybe the virtualization is buggy. Are you stuttering all the time?
    I uninstalled VIrtuwatt. Everything worked fine after I restarted.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Do you guys think this will fix the issue with the slow sound video on start up?

I always have to restart otherwise I have slow sound or video. This ony happens when connected to the discrete GPU.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast