Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by chrimen View Post
    I got it directly from the Asus website here in the US. It costs about $100. Below is the link.
    http://store.asus.com/us/item/201506...+Power+Adapter

Essentially it's a laptop power brick. You can see the models of the laptops it fits.

Hope this helps both of your issues.
    Thanks Man, very much appreciated have a good Christmas.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by KingBlaak95 View Post
    Thanks Man, very much appreciated have a good Christmas.
    Have a great Christmas..

Do let me know if the new power brick works. I'm curious to know if this works.
    I have a feeling that a lot of the DOA 760 cards, and boot up issues were due to faulty power bricks.
    But that is just speculation on my part.

ROG Member Array

Have a great Christmas..

I have a feeling that a lot of the DOA 760 cards, and boot up issues were due to faulty power bricks.
    Well I thought the new brick worked cause the first cold boot went OK, but subsequent cold boots failed just like with the old brick. I'm using mine with a EVGA 960 4GB blower style card.

The part number of the new brick was slightly different than the original but it looks identical and has the same specs.

The cold boot issues are getting more intermittent now that the ambient temps are warmer here in New Zealand. I got my G20 last summer so the issue didn't show up until it got cold in winter.

Might try another GPU or upgrade to the new G20CB with i7/GTX1070...*

New ROGer Array

Unhappy

Have a great Christmas..

Yeah ****... just got the new power adapter and the same thing happened just like with zkzanuck. I think its the gpu(gtx 1080 FE) gonna try putting back the gtx 745 that it came with and see if that works. Fingers crossed lol

ROG Enthusiast Array

Sorry to hear that guys. Just be careful because when I had those issues and upgraded my card it ended up frying the 1070 so I had to return it and get a new one. Do post a solution if you happen to find one. I'm curious to know.

New ROGer Array

Sorry to hear that guys. Just be careful because when I had those issues and upgraded my card it ended up frying the 1070 so I had to return it and get a new one. Do post a solution if you happen to find one. I'm curious to know.
    Hey, how do you know if your gpu is faulting because I swapped the old gtx 745 back in and the system booted up the same way with a black screen (but the monitor picks up a signal) and no function except to press ctrl+alt+del for the restart.

P.s. Could it maybe be a ram problem?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Honestly I'm at a loss here and don't want to lead you guys down the wrong path.
    Does the on board graphics card work?

Only way that I know of to test the GPU is to put it in another rig.

If you have a way to test things on another system that would be great. That way you can eliminate things that are working such as the cables, GPUs etc.

ROG Member Array

Final fix for me

Gents, just wanted to let you know that I have solved my cold boot issues once and for all!

I decided to upgrade the old 960 to a PNY 1060 6GB blower card. The card upgrade did not fix the cold boot issues.

It suddenly occurred to me that regularly during my cold boots I was having to always change chipset HDD settings from RAID (BIOS default) to AHCI in order to get a boot in to Windows. My theory was that the BIOS settings weren't being saved upon shutdown. I decided to go ahead and replace the Motherboard battery (CR2032). Now I have not experienced any cold boot problems for over 2 weeks. This was a pain in the ass as far as disassembly/reassembly but worth it in the end!*

I recommend replacing your BIOS battery ($5 + 30mins) and your cold boot issues shout disappear! I'm very happy with the boot times and performance of the G20 now. And even though mine only has the i5, the GTX 1060 has made this thing a 1080p beast!

Good luck!*

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Welsh Whoopee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zkanuck View Post
    Gents, just wanted to let you know that I have solved my cold boot issues once and for all!

I decided to upgrade the old 960 to a PNY 1060 6GB blower card. The card upgrade did not fix the cold boot issues.

It suddenly occurred to me that regularly during my cold boots I was having to always change chipset HDD settings from RAID (BIOS default) to AHCI in order to get a boot in to Windows. My theory was that the BIOS settings weren't being saved upon shutdown. I decided to go ahead and replace the Motherboard battery (CR2032). Now I have not experienced any cold boot problems for over 2 weeks. This was a pain in the ass as far as disassembly/reassembly but worth it in the end!*

I recommend replacing your BIOS battery ($5 + 30mins) and your cold boot issues shout disappear! I'm very happy with the boot times and performance of the G20 now. And even though mine only has the i5, the GTX 1060 has made this thing a 1080p beast!

Good luck!*
    nice mate, sounds like it did the trick

upgrade to a nice i7 4790k
    [B]YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://bit.ly/2E1zKTE
    ASUS ROG G20 PLAYLIST @ https://bit.ly/32uD4Py

ROG Member Array

4770 non-K

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Whoopee View Post
    nice mate, sounds like it did the trick

upgrade to a nice i7 4790k

Funny you should say that becuase I did use your videos on YT as a guide for all the work I did recently - thank you. I went with a 4770 non-K becuase this motherboard doesn't support overclocking and an extra 8GB DDR3. Beast!

I really hope the other guys in this thread see my post above about the BIOS battery fix.

*Cheers

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast