cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20aj No signal, Gpu Fan at Full Speed

zhangyifu
Level 7
I recently bought a G20aj with a GTX 760, and I us an HDMI cable for the monitor. BUt occasionally when I boot the computer, there's no signal and the Gpu fan runs at full speed. Everything started to work fine after a force restart. Any solutions? BTW my Cpu fan would go pull speed for 3 to 4 seconds on startup, which is quite stange.
132 REPLIES 132

toronto699
Level 13
that's normal for fans to run at full speed at startup or boot

Bodycount69
Level 9
Some time Mine runs fans full out and just sit there no video so I have to hold power and wait a min or so and power back on.
Asus ROG PG348Q Black 34" 3440 x 1440, 100Hz Curved IPS G-Sync 21:9 WQHD Gaming Monitor
2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition in SLI

mine too, fans run full speed and need to repower. I have GTX770 and only have the intel card running for now because of the bsod issues. Wish asus would make fix with bios or something.

hori wrote:
mine too, fans run full speed and need to repower. I have GTX770 and only have the intel card running for now because of the bsod issues. Wish asus would make fix with bios or something.

Yes I wish they would fix this.
Asus ROG PG348Q Black 34" 3440 x 1440, 100Hz Curved IPS G-Sync 21:9 WQHD Gaming Monitor
2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition in SLI

toronto699
Level 13
If your G20 has issues right out of the box I would return it, I would not accept a defective G20 right out of the box, I get another

chrimen
Level 7
This has happened to me a few times as well.

Yeah, sorry to say the same thing happened to me on Sunday. Purchased the G20-B09 (the 1299.99 USD Best Buy model) and spent two whole nights installing all my games and programs (basically used a full terabyte real quick). Then Sunday afternoon I wake up (I work overnights, not lazy/unemployed) I go to turn on my comp, I heart the fan cycle up on high, which is normal for about 3 seconds... but it doesnt stop, then the video isnt outputting, I try swapping cables and three different monitors (turning off and on each time) I finally try the default Intel HDMI output and it works, after a system restore, re installing drivers, etc no dice. I was pretty angry because I literally wasted 2 whole nights setting it up to where I wanted it before it crapped out. I spent an hour with tech support and wrote one very long angry letter to the Asus Loyalty line which I now semi-regret.

So i exchanged the unit at the Best Buy (luckily a 5 min drive) and spend all Sunday into Monday re installing everything again (I developed a double external hard drive system to maximize my copy-paste steam backup method from my old comp).

I'm now happy, and have no issues, My advice with ANYONE if you have these issues is to exchange ASAP if you are within your normal Return/Exchange period.

In the next few months Ill likely perform the 900 series upgrade listed in other threads so the bad 700 series issue shouldn't crop up again. I want to point out I am a HUGE Asus fan despite this issue, I've had 2 gaming laptops, 2 tablets and now this desktop (At least 6000 worth of their products)

hori
Level 7
I don`t think getting another is gonna fix as it`s not a random issue. There are too many people having same problem. Asus needs to fix issues with bios update. Mine is month old and was fine for first week then was getting bsod with nvidia card so switched to intel and that fixed that problem for now but week or so after that the fans would stay on high and have to power off and restart to go back to normal.
ASUS NEEDS TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE.

I think you are right, hori. I have been dealing with it also. I have tested everything. The system is solid, rock solid (besides the periodic start up issue). I have also figured out a whole bunch about it. I am a programmer with a heavy IT background. Here's what I have figured out. It's a power sequence issue between the Nvida card and the system in general. For instance, (VERY IMPORTANT), the comupuer does in fact boot when our fans go to full speed, However, it is not using the Nvida card, it's using the onboard graphics output (the MB HDMI) output. I hooked up my monitor's extra HDMI connector and found that out. I did a whole bunch of R&D on the subject and found much on the nature of the card and motherboard, this was occurring in other systems when the graphics cards were not getting power or not reporting in properly to the system. With the cool fact we have the spilt (one supplies the system, one supplies the GFX card) power I ran tests (I do not suggest you repeat I don;t know the long term effects) of just powering the computer and wa-la the issue was identical, full fans boot on motherboard Intel graphics. So that proves whatever is happening is the GFX card is not either powering up or it's inital sequence is "off-timed" with the system so when the system polls it it's not in a ready state so it falls back on the onboard card. The Nvida card then shifts it's fans to full speed (perhaps it's a planned defense mechansim for a possibly overheaded card that fails to boot properly, I'm guessing it's a blind response because they rather turn the fans on full when in doubt to save the card) .

Anyway, the point is shutdown normally once it's booted to the win 8.1 login screen. then restart. Then I boot pretty much each and every time. I have been powering off and not doing the warm restart as I don't trust it. You must let the system boot, I have had disrupted the process blindly (before I knew about the secondary output was ok) with disasterous windows consequences durring my testing phases. In fact it's what lead me to try the motherboard's html output. I figured the damage I was causing to the OS by disrupting the boot mean it was booting, Thus there had to be video output somewhere.

I also have been conjecturing temperature might be a factor but I can't prove it. The GFX card may have to warm up to report in at the right time. My only evidence thus far is the issue only has occured to me when turning on the system cold and after sitting the night. But that is hardly proof.

Whatever the root cause is, my gut says it's all about timing. Asus needs to try to address this through bios/firmware updates. It might be bad enough that NVidia may need to bring out a patch for the onboard gfx card firmware.

No matter what, so far I am finding the issue manageable as long as it does not progress into something else, which I don't see happening yet. And I won't cow down to a service tech that knows less than me and go RMA on this. I know my G20 is rock solid and I refuse to go through the service maze at this time.

SO those with the issue....

Let the system boot to windows (verify with the onboard HDMI) I have my monitor cable with both my primary out and my secondary card hooked up full time now.

Do a shutdown from the windows primary login point.

Power back up.

So far that it's "manageable" we need to harp on Asus without talking to their entry level customer servcie techs, someone has to know somebody we can talk to without having to mass RMA and go through weeks/months/years of pain