Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Ok, I must be getting faster with the reboot cycle or something. Today it took a few tries with my method. So the almost every time is somewhat inaccurate. Although I have always been able to get the system up in the end. The method works, I just have to figure out how to get predictable results from it.

What perplexes me is so far, once I get past it, the whole day through final shutdown at night all works fine and I usually shut off and turn on more than a couple of times.

I wonder if there are some bios settings I can toy with here, the issue could be attached to something in that exotic power stuff they put onboard. I'm really at a loss here.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I did some checking, I see they posted a new bios update yesterday. I wonder if it has a fix?

ASUS G20AJ BIOS Version 0601, update 2015/01/08

ROG Enthusiast Array

So I've tried 3 things during the past week
    1. disabled the intel hd 4600 from device manager
    2. installed the latest driver for the Nvidia card,
    3. unintalled Virtue Watt

And it turned out that this problem has been fixed somehow. Don't know exactly what fixed problem but my G20 is now working fine. Gonna go install the new BIOS today.
    Last edited by zhangyifu; 01-09-2015 at 09:56 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I just installed the bios upgrade I found. I have to see what happens there, it's too soon to tell. I also like where you are going with this, zhangyifu. I think you are closer to the actual issue than I got. I did try uninstalling VirtuWatt and still had the issue. I also upgraded the NVida drivers, that also did not change anything. I think your #1 idea may be it. It's where I'll go if I see the issue again. Although I could see it cause an issue that might leave you in the dark, if the NVidia card refuses to come back, but to me it sounds like you are going in the right direction.

ROG Enthusiast Array

OK, things are curiously different this morning. Now I am cautious. The system came on quietly, no full speed fans, but to a blank blue screen on the html (onboard Intel) port. Remember, I had them both outputs connected to determine a full boot occurred before resetting during the full fan event. I figured that both cards were displaying so I removed the onboard cable and switched over to the port the NVida was on (I'm using the displayport output), and it was fine. It's going to take a while for me to call it a fix (three periods, whatever that is.), but I have certainly have never had that series of things happen that way before.

Now, for the VirtuWatt. I took if off as part of the attempt to circumvent the bug. We'll I have been trying to put it back (call me crazy, but I'm trying to go back to stock software) Every time I install it, it works then the next day it shuts off with some kind of warning on the icon. I'm not even sure what that thing even does, I guess it manages power by switching off something in the graphics that's not being used.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Ok, new bios day two. No repeat of the issue. I have never gone this long without an incident. More promising, but I'm not completely convinced yet.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Day 3, no sign of the incident. I think I can tell when it would have occured and I think the BIOS update took care of it. It seems like there is more post processing going on and it's catching something. I did have one boot over the weekend that caused all played media, you tube, Cyberlink DVD, and others to play slow, but I think that's a window's 8.1 thing, and not any part of anything evil.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKP View Post
    Day 3, no sign of the incident. I think I can tell when it would have occured and I think the BIOS update took care of it. It seems like there is more post processing going on and it's catching something. I did have one boot over the weekend that caused all played media, you tube, Cyberlink DVD, and others to play slow, but I think that's a window's 8.1 thing, and not any part of anything evil.
    I downloaded the latest bios yesterday and the fans booted just as they should have.
    I have been having the slow play on the media issue almost on every boot. I have to do a restart for the media to begin playing normally.
    Has this been happening to anyone else?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by zhangyifu View Post
    So I've tried 3 things during the past week
    1. disabled the intel hd 4600 from device manager
    2. installed the latest driver for the Nvidia card,
    3. unintalled Virtue Watt

And it turned out that this problem has been fixed somehow. Don't know exactly what fixed problem but my G20 is now working fine. Gonna go install the new BIOS today.

Guys i tried zhangyifu's solution and it worked perfectly for me.... (upgrading my bios didn't help at all....)

ROG Enthusiast Array

so you still got fans running high with new bios? The fan isn`t the nvidia card it`s the case fans that go full speed. I have been using the intel only for last couple weeks and got the high speed fans that dont stop until you reboot.
    Never updated bios but it`s been 5 days since it acted up, my virtue watt was also disabled not to run on start up.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast