Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

mine does it every few days? didn`t matter whether update, dvi or hdmi it still happens. I even shut it down and plugged into the intel card and the nvidia fan was till on high even though it was disabled? The machine deff has it quirks and asus is slow at fix. I can`t be bothered to send it in because they wont do anything other than replace video card which works fine.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by billmavra View Post
    Guys mine did it only twice... But i found out something else that may help (not sure yet though)...It did it when i pressed the power button and held it pressed for a little while... Trying pressing it very fast and tell me if it does anything for you...(worked for me)
    Again the problem i had yesterday evening disappeared this morning, all magically. didn' have time to try you suggestion but will do that next time i encounter this problem. And i am pretty sure that it will come up again in the future.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Here is what Asus support told me to do, didn't try it but it might help. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	??.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	46296

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by zhangyifu View Post
    Again the problem i had yesterday evening disappeared this morning, all magically. didn' have time to try you suggestion but will do that next time i encounter this problem. And i am pretty sure that it will come up again in the future.
    Ok, it's been a while.... The bios alone update did not do the trick completely, although it seemed to make it happen less. I did make progress though, It took me a long time to both keep the issue from happening and locking down what I think my cause is by letting it happen. It was a long process to figure out if I was really consistent or just plain crazy. After not having a single incident since the last time I reported one (that's a long time ago if you look back in these posts) I let it happen to mine once a over a week ago, then kept it from happening then let it happen on purpose today. I seem to have figured it out at least in my case.

Well it turns out the manual says the lower operation temperature is 32 degrees F. We'll I think ASUS did not test that on the system level, I think they are using engineering values on the component level. I live in the northeast USA, I also live in an old house where we turn down the thermostat to 60, it's an old thermostat and 60 actually puts the room I have the system in, in the 50's (lower) . Well long story short, every time I go from cold boot under my lower set temp I cause the fan-boot anomaly on the process until the video card warms up. Every single time I let my house heat up over 65 then I have normal operation, no matter what. It's taken me a while but I have been able to repeat the issue and also keep it from happening at will. I don't know if that can help anyone else or not. It just been very consistent and repeatable in my case.
    Last edited by CyberKP; 02-08-2015 at 11:53 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Also, my conclusion comes from observational patterns from the very beginning. Let's say I never had it happen when either the system was warm and/or the environment. I wonder if there is a lower temp flaw in the firmware or hardware. Like a sensor or piece of boot code sees an irrational reading and refuses to init the video card. Everyone including me constantly worries about being too hot with rigs like this. No one ever thinks about the lower end. Maybe it's the same with the engineers that designed it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKP View Post
    Also, my conclusion comes from observational patterns from the very beginning. Let's say I never had it happen when either the system was warm and/or the environment. I wonder if there is a lower temp flaw in the firmware or hardware. Like a sensor or piece of boot code sees an irrational reading and refuses to init the video card. Everyone including me constantly worries about being too hot with rigs like this. No one ever thinks about the lower end. Maybe it's the same with the engineers that designed it.
    That explain why cold boot takes so long for me. If I boot it when it has not been on for like a day, it would take like 40 seconds, and if the computer is warm when boot, i mean physically warm, it would only take 10 secs. How is Asus going to fix this though, sounds like a tricky problem.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKP View Post
    Ok, it's been a while.... The bios alone update did not do the trick completely, although it seemed to make it happen less. I did make progress though, It took me a long time to both keep the issue from happening and locking down what I think my cause is by letting it happen. It was a long process to figure out if I was really consistent or just plain crazy. After not having a single incident since the last time I reported one (that's a long time ago if you look back in these posts) I let it happen to mine once a over a week ago, then kept it from happening then let it happen on purpose today. I seem to have figured it out at least in my case.

Well it turns out the manual says the lower operation temperature is 32 degrees F. We'll I think ASUS did not test that on the system level, I think they are using engineering values on the component level. I live in the northeast USA, I also live in an old house where we turn down the thermostat to 60, it's an old thermostat and 60 actually puts the room I have the system in, in the 50's (lower) . Well long story short, every time I go from cold boot under my lower set temp I cause the fan-boot anomaly on the process until the video card warms up. Every single time I let my house heat up over 65 then I have normal operation, no matter what. It's taken me a while but I have been able to repeat the issue and also keep it from happening at will. I don't know if that can help anyone else or not. It just been very consistent and repeatable in my case.
    I live in Canada and my house is set at 70 degrees F. So should we just let the fan spin for a while if the problem should happen again?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Have any of you experienced slow video and or audio? when you first boot up?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by chrimen View Post
    Have any of you experienced slow video and or audio? when you first boot up?
    Yes, although I haven't seen it in a long while, all the R&D I have done on it pointed to a windows 8.1 issue. Since it's so rare for me, and what I have read about it I'm not too worried about it. Doesn't exactly feel like a hardware thing to me either.

ROG Enthusiast Array

originally posted by zhangyifu

I live in Canada and my house is set at 70 degrees F. So should we just let the fan spin for a while if the problem should happen again?

I just let it boot under the Intel graphics then reboot by that time I'm fine. Although the issue has never happened at room temp over 63 for me. So far I seem to be able to predict with nearly 95% accuracy when it's going to happen. (sometimes I do get a cold boot up ok, and I have never seen the issue when warm) In fact I can tell well enough that I could make good money betting folks about it. It hard to say where the sensor issue is. I do believe it's a sensor firmware thing. could be in the power system, NVidia card, or motherboard, it's hard to say with my crude experiments. Our exotic power setups (with the two power supplies) may be a factor as well, if you remember my experiment with powering up without the graphics power block plugged in. Under those conditions the system behavior was exactly same. Full fans on NVidia card and a boot to the motherboard graphics.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast