Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKP View Post
    Yes, although I haven't seen it in a long while, all the R&D I have done on it pointed to a windows 8.1 issue. Since it's so rare for me, and what I have read about it I'm not too worried about it. Doesn't exactly feel like a hardware thing to me either.
    I haven't been too worried about it, but it's annoying when I have to either restart or use the hibernate option right after starting up.
    It seems that it happens from a cold start/boot. It's just weird that I'm the only one having this issue on a consistent basis.

I do have the fans spooling up on high, but it usually subsides after a few seconds. I then have to deal with the slow video/audio.

Do you guys think this is related to virtuwatt. I notice that sometimes it appears as disabled after start up.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by chrimen View Post
    I haven't been too worried about it, but it's annoying when I have to either restart or use the hibernate option right after starting up.
    It seems that it happens from a cold start/boot. It's just weird that I'm the only one having this issue on a consistent basis.

I do have the fans spooling up on high, but it usually subsides after a few seconds. I then have to deal with the slow video/audio.

Do you guys think this is related to virtuwatt. I notice that sometimes it appears as disabled after start up.
    I got virtuwatt uninstalled and i still get the fan thing once in a while. I think i am actually being too worried about this problem right now, I had so much expectation for G20 and it is the first gaming rig I ever bought.

ROG Enthusiast Array

ok, one thing is I think you don't see the fan issue the way we do. You'd know you had a problem if you saw it. When it happens the NVidia card does not start at all and you have just the Intel onboard card running. The fans do spool up in a start up they are supposed to do that, and they do taper off when done with the sequence. I don't think you need to worry about that. Have you been getting both the NVidia driver updates (not from Asus, but from NVidia, and have you been updating your Windows. I have been keeping up with those and I think they have made the slow video thing happen less and less.

Oh yeah, The virtuwatt thing. I see it also. I thought I had a big problem at first. It's nothing. The license code is flaky in that software. I pay it no mind.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by zhangyifu View Post
    I got virtuwatt uninstalled and i still get the fan thing once in a while. I think i am actually being too worried about this problem right now, I had so much expectation for G20 and it is the first gaming rig I ever bought.
    I have had experience with other high end gaming rigs and I have to say the Asus G20 (after I had a windows update that jammed and drove me nuts and nearly took out the OS) has been the most solid I have seen.

I liken it to cars, exotic cars have exotic touchiness. It's the same with gaming pc's as well. There is a lot of newer engineering in these G20's and at the time I got mine they had only been out a month or so in real time. besides the ice cold boot thing (very controllable in mine apparently) and the twitchy Virtuwatt (which I put back on and am currently studying) everything is great, and I have been learning more than if I had a perfect time.

Right now my only real reservation on the G20 is how long is the hard drive going to live in the 42 - 44 degrees C when gamming. At rest I am finding temps at 34 degrees C which is pretty optimal for a hard drive. When I finally saw the internal layout pics posted, it reminded me of some of the systems my work had purchased for workstations that were compact, and burnt drive after drive, "all in one" units with HD drives packed tight like that, although the G20 is designed as one big cooling tower and those did not have good air flow. Just makes me a bit skeptical over the really long haul.
    I could tell you what real horror is. My Alienware experience had all the makings of a pants crapping horror flick. No Joke. and It was my first full gamming rig experience. It's taken me a long time to come down from that one.

ROG Enthusiast Array

ok, one thing is I think you don't see the fan issue the way we do. You'd know you had a problem if you saw it. When it happens the NVidia card does not start at all and you have just the Intel onboard card running. The fans do spool up in a start up they are supposed to do that, and they do taper off when done with the sequence. I don't think you need to worry about that. Have you been getting both the NVidia driver updates (not from Asus, but from NVidia, and have you been updating your Windows. I have been keeping up with those and I think they have made the slow video thing happen less and less.

Oh yeah, The virtuwatt thing. I see it also. I thought I had a big problem at first. It's nothing. The license code is flaky in that software. I pay it no mind.
    I actually had the same fan problem issue. The fans would go on loudly and just keep going and I would get no signal on the Nvidia GPU. I had this happen to me a lot, but then my problem evolved into the slow video sound thing.

I keep all the drivers updated and have automatic updates on for windows. I make sure that windows is updated before updating the Nvidia drivers.

I have a feeling that the slow video/audio is temperature related. It seems it only happens on first boot up after the computer has been off for while. It also happens after the computer is on hibernate for a very long time.

I always have to restart or hibernate to get the video going again. It seems that once it's "warmed up" then the I have no issues.

I'm hoping someone can find a solution if it isn't temperature related.
    Last edited by chrimen; 02-12-2015 at 06:04 PM.

New ROGer Array

Hi, I'm having the same issue with the HDMI no signal upon a cool boot up. It happened today again where the fan spun at high speed. I power off the machine using the button and after that I unplug the both power plugs that connects to the G20 and plug them back it. Upon power on, things were back to normal. It's the first time I tried this method.

ROG Enthusiast Array

You don't have to be that brutal about it. Realize this, when the system boots like that your video out is on the motherboard's intel hd graphics output. I have more than one input on my monitor, so I connect both the NVidia and the Intel output to my monitor. So when it happens (rarely now) I make sure I shut down normally. I was doing similar to you at first and I caused OS damage I almost couldn't fix. If you shutdown normally though the os when displayed on the intel gfx wait a few moments, I think you are going to find it will boot ok after that. I think going through the whole boot sequence and doing a proper shutdown gives the NVidia card time to warm up under power. If you don't have the capability to dual use the outputs then I'd time what the longest boot you can think of is and wait 2x that then press the power button briefly once and let the OS shut down then wait a few moments then power back up. You don't have to pull the power. That is if your system is following the pattern like the rest of ours.

I found on mine at least it's all about temperature. If I start it when I have my house heat down it happens always on the first boot of the day. I always wait until my house warms up after turning my heat up (I turn down 10 degrees at night to save energy). I have never seen the problem since I have done that.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by jesterz View Post
    Hi, I'm having the same issue with the HDMI no signal upon a cool boot up. It happened today again where the fan spun at high speed. I power off the machine using the button and after that I unplug the both power plugs that connects to the G20 and plug them back it. Upon power on, things were back to normal. It's the first time I tried this method.
    As far as my experience goes, regardless of whether you use the DVI or the HDMI, the fan issue would occur no matter what. Secondly, power off the machine using the power button might damage your hard drive, so I think it is better to use CyberKP's solution, which is to boot up the system using the onboard graphics card first, and then power off and switch to the discrete GPU.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I actually had the same fan problem issue. The fans would go on loudly and just keep going and I would get no signal on the Nvidia GPU. I had this happen to me a lot, but then my problem evolved into the slow video sound thing.

I keep all the drivers updated and have automatic updates on for windows. I make sure that windows is updated before updating the Nvidia drivers.

I have a feeling that the slow video/audio is temperature related. It seems it only happens on first boot up after the computer has been off for while. It also happens after the computer is on hibernate for a very long time.

I always have to restart or hibernate to get the video going again. It seems that once it's "warmed up" then the I have no issues.

I'm hoping someone can find a solution if it isn't temperature related.
    Ah, your system fits the pattern, but I don't understand why I have seen the video/audio slow thing only twice. Maybe because since then I hook both intel and NVidia outputs up so when fan thing happens (almost never now since I watch my room temp and maybe since I run it every day) I can shut the system down gracefully. It does boot to intel gfx and I soft shutdown, then give it a few moments then power back up.

I am not 100% sure but I think I haven't seen the slow video since I started using both outputs and the graceful shutdown.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I found on mine at least it's all about temperature. If I start it when I have my house heat down it happens always on the first boot of the day. I always wait until my house warms up after turning my heat up (I turn down 10 degrees at night to save energy). I have never seen the problem since I have done that.
    I wish the problem could resolve itself once summer comes.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast