cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 on G75VW

DirtTrash78
Level 7
Ever since I got this notebook all my USB 3.0 ports have ran at a speed as though it were 2.0.

Yes, I am using 3.0 hard drives and flash drives. I have tried every USB driver on the G75VW specific support page. And have formatted and started from scratch multiple times. Anyone with viable information please give input. And please lets keep this on topic. Thanks in advance.

-Semper Fi
Stay Low Move Fast Kill First Die Last...OOORAH!!!
8 REPLIES 8

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well if your running window 7 the correct drivers are in the Win 7 section of Asus Support Downloads If you are running window 8.1.1 or any version of window 8 you would use the Native Windows drivers. Intel never wrote a window 8 or later USB Driver. The last ones would be on the Intel web site.
You can uninstall Asus USB Charger Plus program that has been know to cause issues. Otherwise you may have a hardware issue? You do understand that USB 3.0 is nowhere near what the advertised speeds are. they are hover as fast as any Hard drive Spinning type. Transfer speeds are more in the 40 to 60 MBS range with large files where as USB 2.0 are closer toe 6 to 12 MBS Actually the USB 3.0 speeds are pretty close to eSATA now. Still they can only be as fast as the drive you are using with it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

DirtTrash78
Level 7
Yes, I realize speeds don't hit anywhere near USB "advertised" speeds. And I have already gone through and uninstalled Charge Plus, and disabled legacy support.

Every system I have ever owned I've seen 2.0 speeds, for files larger than a few hundred MB's, in the range of 20-30mbps. And for 3.0, same size files, I'm used to seeing transfer speeds in the range of 60-100mbps. On my last two "G" notebooks G73 and G75 those speeds have been horrific, aside from 2.0 which hasn't changed, seeing every 3.0 device identical to that of 2.0. Both systems are identical to 2.0 speeds. It doesn't matter which drives used 2.0/3.0 hard drives and/or flash drives. And same regardless which port I use.

I am a Network/Computer Engineer and the systems I am refering to regarding past speeds are HP's, Dell's, Toshiba's, and my own custom systems I built that always had various Sabertooth boards in them.

This and other small issues are steering me away from newer ASUS ROG notebooks, sad to say. And everything I build has always had nothing but ASUS components, where applicable. After a ton of research I am seeing a lot of ROG customers stating the same issue regarding 3.0. I guess it is what it is, damn I hate that saying.

-Semper Fi

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
DirtTrash78 wrote:
Yes, I realize speeds don't hit anywhere near USB "advertised" speeds. And I have already gone through and uninstalled Charge Plus, and disabled legacy support.

Every system I have ever owned I've seen 2.0 speeds, for files larger than a few hundred MB's, in the range of 20-30mbps. And for 3.0, same size files, I'm used to seeing transfer speeds in the range of 60-100mbps. On my last two "G" notebooks G73 and G75 those speeds have been horrific, aside from 2.0 which hasn't changed, seeing every 3.0 device identical to that of 2.0. Both systems are identical to 2.0 speeds. It doesn't matter which drives used 2.0/3.0 hard drives and/or flash drives. And same regardless which port I use.

I am a Network/Computer Engineer and the systems I am refering to regarding past speeds are HP's, Dell's, Toshiba's, and my own custom systems I built that always had various Sabertooth boards in them.

This and other small issues are steering me away from newer ASUS ROG notebooks, sad to say. And everything I build has always had nothing but ASUS components, where applicable. After a ton of research I am seeing a lot of ROG customers stating the same issue regarding 3.0. I guess it is what it is, damn I hate that saying.

-Semper Fi

By the way have you tried comparing the speeds of the USB 3.0 ports on both the left and right sides?
If you haven't checked the USB 3.0 ports on the 'right' side, check them to see if they work any better than the left USB 3.0 ports in your notebook.

Hope this helps.

I have Albert, thank you. Both sides run the same.

Hmm then you must have a hardware issue, in the beginning back in 2012 I had issues with USB 3.0 but I resolved them and never really had any further issues the latest Intel USB 3.0 drivers on Win 7 and the native driver in window 8 and above. Many people have issues with USB 3.0 on the Left side those are on a daughter board the ones on the right side are part of the MB I for one do have issues with the left side so I just use a 4 port hub from the right side front port.

I find that mine transfer speeds with USB 3.0 are just a little bit slower that eSATA 2 speeds with the same hard drives
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

cl-Albert
Clintlgm wrote:
Hmm then you must have a hardware issue, in the beginning back in 2012 I had issues with USB 3.0 but I resolved them and never really had any further issues the latest Intel USB 3.0 drivers on Win 7 and the native driver in window 8 and above. Many people have issues with USB 3.0 on the Left side those are on a daughter board the ones on the right side are part of the MB I for one do have issues with the left side so I just use a 4 port hub from the right side front port.

I find that mine transfer speeds with USB 3.0 are just a little bit slower that eSATA 2 speeds with the same hard drives

Clintlgm (and DirtTrash78), I may be wrong, but if USB 3.0 ports on both the left and right sides are affected, I would think there is still a fair chance of a software issue, but really depends on what kind of Windows image DirtTrash78 is using or the condition of the software.
It could also be a hardware issue as Clintlgm mentioned, but would be inclined to think the USB ports would usually not work at all if this were the case, so it is probably worth investigating more.
Edit: Wondering if it could also be bios-related, but probably not worth fooling around with if the unit is out-of-warranty.

We may want to start comparing driver versions/device manager entries and USB 3.0 speeds?

DirtTrash78, if you're interested or think it is worth pursuing more, you may want to tell us which version of Windows (and bios version while you are at it?) you are running and how you are testing the USB 3.0 speeds, so we can try the same thing or something similar on our end.

If you have a painless way to reinstall the original ASUS factory Windows image, it's always something I like to try, but probably not something you will be able to try right away.
It should still work if you are using your own Windows image, but we may want to compare drivers more carefully.

Sorry, it's probably too obvious, but just wanted to make sure different USB 3.0 cables were tried or USB cables are not the issue before we start worrying about other things, but trying USB 3.0 flash drives on the right-side should eliminate this possibility.

Well, I'll see if I can get more info from my system later to compare with if you just want to wait for this since it sounds like you have checked just about everything already.

DirtTrash78
Level 7
Albert...I would love to pursue this issue more. Especially because their may just be some kind of resolution out there. And I agree, I too beleive its software or bios related because both sides are affected.

I am running the latest bios from the support page with Windows 7 Professional. Unfortunately when I did a clean wipe to put Pro on the system I lost the recovery image. But I know their is no difference there as I have the factory system drivers disk.

USB 2.0 and 3.0 speeds are identical running 20-30mbps on all 4 ports, both sides. Using 2.0 and 3.0 hard drives or flash drives. All file sizes tested are various from 30-50mb files up to 500-1.5gb files.

-Semper Fi

cl-Albert
DirtTrash78, sorry for the delay.

Below is a device manager screenshot from my G75VW Win7 unit with 218 bios.

I was getting about 55mb/s while copying a 10GB file to the notebook from the right USB 3.0 ports, so everything appeared fairly normal on my unit at least.

Using the Intel USB 3.0 driver V1.0.3.214 as in the screenshot below as well as the older ATK Package v1.0.0015 which may not make much difference.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to try, but if you're still under warranty, you may also want to consider sending it in to check the hardware if we can't get it solved.