cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for Horiztonal Lines on G-series Laptop Screens

xXxLoliHunterxX
Level 9
This is a current, correct fix for horizontal lines on Asus G series laptops. This fix works for those with LG screens, and should also work for those with Chi Mei.

Upon investigation, it turns out that many systems are getting incorrect EDID readings for their panels, which is setting incorrect horizontal blanking timings, resulting in the horizontal lines. Refresh rates are also being set incorrectly, at around 59.991, which still shows as 60 Hz in Nvidia Control Panel, but the true correct refresh rate is actually 60.004 Hz (Which reports as 60 Hz as well).

The following correct fix requires two FREE tools, some of your time, and having the advanced monitor specs for your screen. This WILL completely remove your horizontal lines, but on screens that have had the blanking times set incorrectly for long periods of time have may already have some permanent damage done to the panel. My G75VX with a brand new LG Phillips LP173WF1(TL)(C1) screen I put in this past week shows NO lines after setting the correct EDID fix (I did before this fix) , but my dads G75VX still shows them after applying the same fix to the same screen -- he has had the laptop for nearly 2 years now, running it daily. Please note the fix still greatly reduces the lines on systems even when it cannot make them go away. It depends on the age/quality of your screen.

Anyone can try the following fix, as it is safe to do and is of course fully reversible.

First, grab both these pieces of software. You can go to the bottom of this post for more info on what they are and do, if you really want to know what you are doing.

EDID Manager:
http://www.extron.com/product/software.aspx?id=edidmanager&s=5

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU):
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

EDID Manager website requires an email to download, but you can give them a fake one if your concerned about privacy, as they don't send the download link to you email. Download and install.

CRU is also free, and doesn't require installation to run. On first run, it will ask what to do, make sure to click "Load EDID from Registry".

The next screen asks you which screen you want to select. You should only have one pop up unless you are currently connected to external monitors. If you are, disconnect from all external screens, then close and run EDID because you don't want to play with the wrong screens settings. Once you do, select your only current screen, which will be labeled "Active", then click OK.

Once EDID is open, go ahead and click on the "Full View" tab to see a report of your LCD panels data. A lot of the data here is useless to you, but you need to view and take note of your settings. You will find these settings under "Detailed Descriptor #1: Preferred Detailed Timing (1920x1080 @ 60Hz).

Make sure you not only find this section, but make sure it lists your correct resolution and refresh rate, which should be the max supported. Some may have a 1600 x 900 screen.

What you need to note here is everything from your listed "Pixel Clock" all the way down to where it displays your modeline.

Next, unzip CRU and run it as admin.

Once both are downloaded and EDID Manager is installed, run it as admin. Right away you will see an entry under "Detailed Resolutions:". We are going to edit this value, as this is where windows and Nvidia get your resolution, refresh rate, and sync settings from. Make sure to click the entry, then click "Edit..."

For starters, compare what is currently set inside of the EDID data by viewing the data from the "Detailed Resolution" box that just opened, and compare that to your out from EDID manager.

"Blanking Time" in EDID manager is "Blanking" in CRU. The "Sync Offset" in EDID is known as your "Front Porch" in CRU, and "Sync Pulse Width" is listed as a simplified "Sync width".

For me, all values matched what EDID was reporting. I had to find and download a PDF of timings for my screen from the internet but doing a net search. That listed my correct normal timings, which included the all important "Blanking" timings.

The PDF listed my correct timings as 178 pixels for Horizontal, and 17 lines for vertical.

My incorrectly set timings were set to 236 pixels horizontal, and 17 lines for vertical.

The horizontal pixels were incorrectly set - this is the important thing to change to your correct values.

I also changed my Refresh rate to 60 Hz, and confirmed that my sync polarity matched from what was read from EDID manager.

Again, all I changed was my horizontal blanking setting, and my refresh rate (which needs to be set to 60.000 Hz.)

Now click okay.

On my laptop, CRU now shows my detailed resolution setting as "1920x1080 @ 60.004 Hz (138.10 MHz) [-/-]". What is important to note is now that MHz reading, which is the pixel clock, is now reported as a correct reading. It matches the first reading from EDID manager once you have things set correctly. The refresh rate is also now much closer to 60 Hz.

Before clicking OK on CRU and saving changes, make sure that your Pixel clock is set correctly, and that your Polarity for Horizontal and Vertical is set correctly (should not need changing).

For the LG LP173WF1-TLC1 screen, view the attachment for the correct settings in CRU. This will ONLY work correctly for this screen, I image that Chi Mei and other screens require different settings. If anyone finds out what those settings are, post here and let me know.

Once set, click OK to close CRU, and restart your computer!!

Also, make sure your nvidia color settings are set back to default to make sure your settings are great. It will at least get rid of a majority of your screen lines, if not all.

Note that complete driver removal, or even registry cleaners may remove this tweak. You may want to export and save your settings from within CRU for keeping.

EDID Manager:
Helps to find out what you current monitor timings are. Pulls EDID manager not from your monitor, but directly from the windows registry, showing you what current timings are being used.

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU):
Great bit of software for setting custom resolutions. This is different from Nvidia display manager -- it sets it on the registry level. This doesn't actually change your resolution, but tells your drivers and windows what supported resolutions are. Great for editing default resolutions and sync rates that are set incorrectly.

Tested on TWO G75VX-BHI7N11's, both using LG Phillips LP173WF1-TLC1 screens.

Feel free to ask any questions or if you need help with anything, I will be closely watching this thread.

Really wish this had been figured out two years ago though 😛
3 REPLIES 3

BuLaXa
Level 7
I would love to try and change this in my laptop, as it's something that has always bothering me.
However, your guide is just too confusing!
I think you should edit this post and add clarity in all the steps you give (maybe even put some more screenshots), and tell everyone where to find their screen default/normal timings.
You keep changing from Cru to EDID in the beginning without even warning us...
Overall, please clarify the whole guide.
But thank you for your help anyway, it's much appreciated, as it seems like no one has tackled this issue for some reason.
Asus G75VX-T4022P
Processor: Intel i7 3630QM
Memory: 32GB (4*8GB 1600Mhz)
Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB 7200rpm
Screen: Matte 17.3" LED FHD / NG
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX670MX, GDDR5 3Gb
Wireless: 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

confucius6
Level 7
I tried this with my Chi Mei LCD using timings and settings found via the factory pdf found online. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with EDID but I changed the settings in CRU to what the pdf said and restarted but there was no change in the lines. I then tried it with 60.000hz and the pdf settings mentioned but again there was no change in the lines. If anyone has gotten this to work on the Chi Mei LCD I would really appreciate some help.

@xXxLoliHunterxXx A little help
I have the same problem with the vertical lines
I Tried this tutorial but i can't understand good enough the timings i found for my panel online
They are here http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/B173HTN01.1.pdf on page 20
and another one here http://www.twscreen.com/media/pdf/M20121224094347950/B173HW02_V1_Ver0.1_20110427_201306195161.pdf on page 21
but the CRU software can't accept the "112" optimal blancking that the .pdf suggests.. 😕

Any help would be appreciated