cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY ethernet socket not working

rik1301
Level 7
Hi all,

I may be doing something wrong here but when plugging in the ethernet cable from my router nothing happens. I have also attempted to connect to the router using the IP via a browser but no luck there either. says no connection. The wifi is working ok however. Any ideas folks? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

hmscott
Level 12
rik1301 wrote:
Hi all,
I may be doing something wrong here but when plugging in the ethernet cable from my router nothing happens. I have also attempted to connect to the router using the IP via a browser but no luck there either. says no connection. The wifi is working ok however. Any ideas folks? Thanks.

rik1301, if you plug in the ethernet cable, you should see a connected light on the router - do you see one?

The Ethernet adapter should show up here:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

And after connecting the ethernet cable to the laptop and router, right click on the Ethernet adapter icon and your Status should show Connected, and Details will show IP, and when you get an IP route-able through to the Internet it will show "Internet Access"

If you don't see the connected light on the router, try a different port on the router, and also try a different Ethernet cable. Are you pushing the ethernet cable into the laptop/router until it clicks?

If the Ethernet port isn't working, it's good you found out early, if you are still in the Sellers return windows, take it back for another new unit.

Rares95
Level 8
it needs to click 2 times, put it in deeper

Rares95 wrote:

Rares95, you have an odd connector on that cable, all of my ethernet connectors only click once.

I have run across people that only gingerly place the ethernet connector into the socket, they are afraid to press till it clicks, they don't want it to get stuck.

Just 1 click is enough. To remove the cable, press down on the tab on top with your thumb and the connector/cable will remove easily.

Thanks folks.

Rares95 wrote:

This did indeed solve the problem! The first click sounds and feels like it's in as you need to depress the click to release it, but apparently it does go in even further and that works. Much appreciated all.

rik1301 wrote:
Thanks folks.
This did indeed solve the problem! The first click sounds and feels like it's in as you need to depress the click to release it, but apparently it does go in even further and that works. Much appreciated all.

rik1301, there was only 1 click needed if the base connector was long enough to make the connection.

If pushing it in further is required to make contact you should get another Ethernet cable with a longer base connector - that one is going to be flaky over time.

If you need to push it in after the click, it only takes a slight tug on the cable to break connection again, that isn't reliable.

The whole point of clicking in and not being able to pull it out without releasing it, is so the connection is solid at first click.

At least you know it works when a solid connection is made 🙂