cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help choosing a new monitor

tanz700
Level 7
Hello,

I want to buy a new gaming monitor but I am having alot of trouble deciding what I want.

Originally, I was dead set on getting the VG248QE for the 1 ms response time and 144hz. After doing more research, I found that the colors are pretty bad. I began to look at IPS displays but most are 8ms response time and usually anywhere from 60hz - 75hz.

I read somewhere that although the new G-Sync ROG Swift is a TN panel, it does support true 8 bit color (no dithering). Is this true? Is it noticeable over other TN panels?

I am not particularly looking for a 1440p monitor. I would like 1080p because I wouldn't get a decent framerate at 1440p. I only have a single GTX 770. Any word/news regarding Asus releasing a 1080p G-Sync? Possibly with true 8 bit color? I know other brands have released 1080p G-Sync models but I am partial to Asus.

So basically to sum things up:

Should I go ahead and get the VG248QE?
Are there any IPS monitors you would consider good for gaming?
Should I wait a few more months to see if Asus releases any new 1080p monitors?

I have had my gaming rig for about a year now and using a Samsung TV as a display. It's not bad, but limited to 60hz. I was hoping to get a new display soon but will wait if anything worthwhile will be coming out in 2015.
4 REPLIES 4

Duke_of_Alinor
Level 7
I suggest keep your monitor for now and save up for a better graphic card or a second one, by then the monitor you want will be obvious.
Then save up for the new monitor.

logzz
Level 7
Save yourself a headache and DO NOT BUY the ROG SWIFT monitor. The amount of issues with the thing is unreal and the problems just keep coming. Im worried about how long this thing will last. My one gets really hot along the bottom bezel and it has the inversion problem, but the way these things keep dying has me worried. I don't want the warranty to run out then have it die on me. It is the worst purchase I have ever made.

Agreed - don't buy the Rog SWIFT. I wish I hadn't. I have had nothing but issues with it. Black screen at login, no signal even at bios startup, screen fuzziness, inconsistent gsync.

tanz700
Level 7
Thank you for the replies.

I wasn't planning on upgrading my graphics card until Nvidia Pascal is released. I don't think upgrading to a 970/980 would be worth it from a 770. I'd like to see how well Pascal can run 4K res before I make the jump to anything over 1080p.

I have read numerous negative forum posts/reviews about the ROG Swift. It kinda sounds like that G-Sync PCB runs hot and causes issues. I'm not really looking for any headaches so I think i'm going to hold off on g-sync. I'm going to go ahead and get the VG248QE. It seems to be the best and most reliable gaming monitor on the market right now.