cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4BE : Oh... Found a Mini-PCIe form-factor slot.

UltraNEO_
Level 11
Happy New Year everyone!!

Well messing around with this faulty board of mine, I discovered the WIFI-GO adapter actually sits in a slot and completely removable. Does this mean users can exchange the card for one with better performance at a later date?

Also, out of curiosity - not that I'm about to try it - but how is this mini-slot wired, electrically?
I mean, it uses the same form-factor as found on other Mini-cards and MSATA SSD's. So could one in theory replace it with some form of storage device, or some other communication device, if he/she isn't using the WIFI component of the board?
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV
4 REPLIES 4

Seraphim85
Level 7
Very curious about this as well. Is that an MSATA slot or just a pci x1 ?

NEOAethyr
Level 7
That's cool, do you have to de-solder it to remove it?
I'm getting a new wireless adapter next month because asus used a crappy custom broadcom chip for there wireless (useless).

I wonder if they make mini-pcie ethernet cards, this board should of 2 to being with...

NEOAethyr wrote:

I wonder if they make mini-pcie ethernet cards, this board should of 2 to being with...

Looks like someone does.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100010064%20600420504

Seraphim85
Level 7
Looks like we're dealing with PCI-E. Though it looks like the product isn't available by the manufacturer any longer.

http://www.embeddedworks.net/wlan507.html