cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g72gx internal charge port issues

river1wolf1
Level 7
I didn't see a thread about this anywhere. I have a g72gx (specifically g72gx-rbbx0) series rog notebook that isn't charging. it started out overheating and then shutting off. I tried cooling pads/fans, you name it, didn't work. Finally removed and cleaned various fans and even the heat sync (sp?). Cleaned all of that out, it worked for a few minutes, then it started burning up at the internal portion of the charger. Well in trying to pull that charge port out, its hidden under the motherboard and I have no idea how to get that little piece out to replace it without ruining the motherboard. It also won't charge the battery, it acts like the battery isn't even attached even though it is. The AC adaptor still fits into the charging point for the laptop, so I know its not broken off there, I just think the port itself is out.

Has anyone had this issue before? Anyone know how to take the motherboard out without breaking it? (As any screws that can be seen holding it in have been taken out and its still stuck). Or does anyone know of a video I can watch to take it apart myself? I've got the pieces I need to replace the old ones with, just not the knowledge of taking the laptop totally apart.
3 REPLIES 3

C4RN1
Level 9
I just looked on youtube, there seems to be an ok video on how to dissassemble the g72.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhyHxZgevUs

At the 9 min mark he gets stuck removing the top, he should have just removed the hinge covers and kept going.

Once you get down to the motherboard test your dc jack, here's a good tutorial I made on how to test and replace your dc jack.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/681240-asus-g73sw-dc-jack-repair-tutorial...

Let me know if you have any questions.

KiteBlaze
Level 7
A side question on this Article. I have a G72gx series that keeps jumping between Charger mode and battery modes while the laptop is on and plugged in. When the Laptop is off, it charges fine, but it keeps jumping between the 2 while it was on and running. I think it may be the Charger being that it's aftermarket, and about 2 years old now. but i just didn't want to get a new charger when it could be something as simple as a setting.

C4RN1
Level 9