cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, question

Lorca
Level 7
I downloaded Nvidia driver 285.62 and I noticed that in the Windows Task Manager the NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, version 285.62 is listed twice. Both under C:\Windows\System32. Is that normal?
21 REPLIES 21

JRd1st
Level 12
I only have it once under System. Did you install the 32 bit drivers? 😮
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
I only have it once under System. Did you install the 32 bit drivers? 😮

Well, I just downloaded the W7 64 bit version from Nvidia. Should I just reinstall it to see if nothing went wrong during installation?

JRd1st
Level 12
Yes, but uninstall the old and restart windows. Just ignore windows if it tells you it installed an nvida driver and wants to restart. Just install the driver anyway.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Yes, but uninstall the old and restart windows. Just ignore windows if it tells you it installed an nvida driver and wants to restart. Just install the driver anyway.

I have just noticed that I mis-wrote may last reply. I said, "Well, I just downloaded the W7 64 bit version from Nvidia." I meant I have the W7 64 bit version. My last reply seems like I was saying that I didn't have the 64 bit version(which I do). Anyways, I will reinstall it.

JRd1st
Level 12
If you don't use 3d, do a custom install and don't install 3d vision. That a difference in what I do.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
If you don't use 3d, do a custom install and don't install 3d vision. That a difference in what I do.

I just reinstalled the driver and I get the same thing, driver listed twice in Task manager. I have the G74SX BBK7 version so I guess I don't need the 3D support. Perhaps, it is this Nvidia 3D driver that's duplicating the drivers. I'll do what you said.

UPDATE: After installing the driver without Nvidia 3D support, I still get NVIDIA Driver Helper Service version 285.62 twice in Task Manager. I wonder what is going on? Could it be something related to user profiles in Windows?

JRd1st
Level 12
Well, I think all the helper service does is the menu item from the desktop, and the tray icon. So, if you have 2 profiles I suppose its possible to need the helper service twice.

I just tried out that nVidia 285.64 and it seems nicer than 285.62. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Well, I think all the helper service does is the menu item from the desktop, and the tray icon. So, if you have 2 profiles I suppose its possible to need the helper service twice.

I just tried out that nVidia 285.64 and it seems nicer than 285.62. 😄

Lol, how about that! What's going on is that if you tick "show processes from all users" in Task Manager you'll get Nvdia Driver Helper twice. I wonder if having those two running might cause stability problems. I got this info from another site where they have the same issue:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=284054

Btw, you said nVidia 285.64 is nicer. In what way and where can I download it?

BrodyBoy
Level 10
@Lorca: You did the "Clean install" option? That's supposed to removed all the old driver crap that accumulates over time.

Is there actually any issue with your display driver? Maybe this is one of those problems that wasn't really a problem.....but then you happened to notice something like a listing in Task Manager? 😉