cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551 Middle-click function on touchpad

ixnay19
Level 7
Has anyone found a reliable way to add the middle-click function to the touchpad?

In particular, I want to be able to browse the web and open new links/close tabs using the middle-click function (three-finger tap, I suppose). It's a small detail, but one that I use all the time, especially when on the go and not using a mouse. Right clicking to open links in new tabs is an annoyance. This worked on my last ASUS, but that one is using the Elantech driver.

I tried following other suggestions here (for other touchpad problems people were having) by uninstalling the Smart Gesture driver and installing one for Elantech, but that didn't help. Instead, my cursor started showing the spinning circle every few seconds, like something was loading, and I lost the ability to swipe down from the Start screen to the App list.

Does anyone know of a solution, a new driver that will work for the G551JM, or some third-party software that will provide what I need?

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

BigDRim
Level 7
If that can help, ctrl + click opens links in a new tab.

ixnay19
Level 7
Thanks, I have been doing that. Unfortunately, I don't know of any hotkey for closing tabs (ctrl-W closes the current tab).

I'm really interested in getting back this middle-click function. While it's not a huge deal, not having it is tedious when navigating numerous tabs, especially when doing research.

Any other solutions from people out there?

ixnay19 wrote:

I'm really interested in getting back this middle-click function. While it's not a huge deal, not having it is tedious when navigating numerous tabs, especially when doing research.

Any other solutions from people out there?

Did anyone find a fix for this? The G55 had the same issue, what I did for that was I ran a file named DellTpad.exe inside the Elantech driver folder. With the G551 I did get the middle button click working by installing the elantech driver but lost the scroll function.

I agree with the OP, this is not the end of the word but it is a nuisance. Its a function I have been using for years and am quite used to...

BVr77
Level 7
Hi, i use the R+L buttons to get the middle click (mouse Wheel button) on the touchpad.
otherwise you just have to modifiy the register with "regedit" and search for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Smartpad
find "Tap3_press_enable" and set the value to "1"
then find "Tap_three_finger" and set the value to "2"

TADA: you have the middle click on three fingers tap.

i think this solution should already be somewhere in this forum.

BVr77 wrote:
Hi, i use the R+L buttons to get the middle click (mouse Wheel button) on the touchpad.
otherwise you just have to modifiy the register with "regedit" and search for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Smartpad
find "Tap3_press_enable" and set the value to "1"
then find "Tap_three_finger" and set the value to "2"

TADA: you have the middle click on three fingers tap.

i think this solution should already be somewhere in this forum.

Using the left and right buttons for middle click is exactly what I want but it does not work on the g551. I edited the registry for the 3 finger tap but it does not work either.

doesn't mind what laptop you have, all elantech touchpad work the same.
you did something wrong.
here is the drivers i use, not sure it does anything.:
Elan touchpad v 11.5.16.2
ATK package v 1.0.0037

and have a look in Asus Smart Gesture program be sure you have enable 3 fingers options.

FYI i did a better, IMO, tweak i've putted the mouse scroll button click on 2 tap fingers as the default is right click button and i found that really useless.

Bubba wrote:
Using the left and right buttons for middle click is exactly what I want but it does not work on the g551. I edited the registry for the 3 finger tap but it does not work either.

I found this thread after searching for my issue... First a little background:
G750JM owner, upgraded to win10 from win8.1, trackpad worked fine as i wanted it : meaning left+right button = middle click..
Unfortunately it didn't have the three finger swipe function to go back/forward in explorer or chrome

After I updated to SmartGesture for WIN10 version 4.0.12 i got functionality for back/forward (instead of swapping desktops like that's more useful) BUT lost the L+R button= middle click.

Trying to fiddle with the registry I noticed that the aforementioned in this thread registry location concerns the ELAN driver which i also have BUT the smart gesture driver/program only follows the registry entries under software/Asus/asus smart gesture/

Now if only we could figure out which entry needs to change for L+R=Middle functionality...

THIS website gives some direction for the ELAN registry settings but no good on the ASUS one, or am I wrong?

Any thoughts?

Slight hijack - I've got a similar problem (but the forum isn't letting me start a new thread).

I've got a GL752VW, and would really like a middle click gesture/tap on the touchpad for lots of different things (ctrl + click won't cut it). I've already tried lots of things and had no success, thinking the best approach might be to replace ASUS Smart Gesture (which has very limited options) with an ElanTech driver - but I have no idea which one or where to find it. Would really appreciate any help!

ixnay19 wrote:
Has anyone found a reliable way to add the middle-click function to the touchpad?
Does anyone know of a solution, a new driver that will work for the G551JM, or some third-party software that will provide what I need?
Thanks.

It depends which Windows version you use.
Look in my sticky guide here for the right driver for the right windows version.
also, from these links you can get newer/older version of same driver type, which cannot be obtain from the specific laptop support page. ( these drivers are from asus official site/server nontheless ).
i'm currently looking for solution for windows10 on my G751JT using of course the "Smart Gesture" driver ( which is THE SAME driver of the latest ROG laptops, i.e from the G751/G551 till the latest models.
i'll report back if i'll find a solution.

EDIT: please see the following solution under "Answer", and note the "update" about windows 10.

HmmmBeee wrote:
Slight hijack - I've got a similar problem (but the forum isn't letting me start a new thread).

As this is the same issue on similar laptop ( i.e Asus Rog serie laptop ) please DO NOT open new thread about it, as this thread as server as a "library" of knowledge for that issue.
now... for solution, please read my above comment.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]