cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM Driver power state failure BSOD: UPDATE

troomc4
Level 7
So I have posted a few times on this subject. Every time I tried to update my drivers from the incredibly/perfectly stable 332.60 drivers, I would get the BSOD. So I stayed with those.

Until I went to play Dragon Age Inquisition and FarCry 4. Dragon age told me I was not able to play using the 332.60 drivers. That I knew before I installed it. And had the 344.75 ready to install.

So I installed that and enjoyed a week of playing those two wonderful games with no BSOD issues with the 344.75 drivers. Until today, when I went to play some FTL. I launched the game, tabbed out. Tabbed back in and it had crashed (not responding) and wouldn't let me close it. So I went to restart my laptop giving me the dreaded frowny face BSOD again.

So I do not know what to make of these 344.75 drivers. Were excellent for a week or so.

As far as I know there are no known fixes for this issue. It's like Asus and Nvidia are not even aware that it is an issue.
32 REPLIES 32

troomc4
Level 7
Just made a massive rant on r/techsupport. Hopefully they will provide some other imput that hasnt been said here.

I also wanted to add that I have the Nvidia gpu activity icon thing down in bottom right of my screen. I did noticed that when im playing a game its all orange and green, and when im not its grey.

When I got the last crash it was lit up like I was playing a game. But I wasnt. So idk if that has anything to do with it.

Edit: So fed up with this issue I went to nvidia support and got into a chat with them. They had me send them a msinfo.nfo file.

Once they looked it over they told me,

"from the system information report the graphics card and its drivers are being detected correctly. there are no other conflicts in regards to the graphics card. since this is an Optimus Laptop you would need to first install an updated driver for the onboard Intel graphics adapter and then install an updated driver for the GeForce graphics card, this works in many cases"

Who knows if this will work or not.

troomc4
Level 7
Update to the update I contacted nvidia and posted what they said. And on their forums https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/801521/geforce-drivers/driver-power-state-failure-bsod-issu... a user suggested contacting Asus. So I did.

They told me that it could be a hardware issue with the memory and/or GPU and that I should send it in for a service. Which is incredibly inconvenient.

Jaitsu
Level 7
This is one of those cases where it's a known issue, but they will not admit it's a known issue because then they have to do something about it. So, they will continue to stonewall you until you give up, or we create a class-action lawsuit about it, which is becoming increasingly tempting. For now, however, Nvidia seem to be aware of the issue (even if they won't answer anything) enough that newer drivers seem to be less and less likely to BSOD. I'm on 347.09 right now and have had no BSODs on it whatsoever. At this point, following the latest Nvidia drivers seems like the best course of action; you get much better performance than the older drivers, and the chances of BSODs seem to be negligible.

troomc4
Level 7
I've only gotten it twice since updating to 344.75. But I'm pretty sure I caused one of them. As I mentioned in the original post. I will give 347.09 a try later tonight. If I still get them, I will suffer through it until I beat Dragon Age and then go back to 332.60. lol

kobby2k6
Level 7
--------

"Guys, there has only been one post for this fix for the G751 - 860m, but it might be worth trying out on the G750:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post456309

"Needless to say that after uninstalling update KB2975719 4 days ago......I have not had a single BSOD error."

If it does work, you may have to do it more than once, as it has already been re-released by Microsoft - turn off auto-updates from Microsoft, and if you see it come back, make it Hidden so it won't get re-installed.

If you try it out, please post whether it worked or not "---------------

I got this G750JM in June, did all the nvidia updates and never had a BSOD till the nvidia update 2 versions ago (which was about two weeks ago). I tried this fix and haven't had a single issue since. I'm currently on the latest nvidia update (347.09) and haven't had a single BSOD since.

P.s. Your results may vary

RAM-disk
Level 7
Never had the KB2975719 installed in the first place windows update is disabled still getting BSOD (Power state failure) when exiting games with unmodified drivers. I'm running a modified 347.09 driver now.
"Ram disk" is not an installation procedure !!!

RAM-disk wrote:
Never had the KB2975719 installed in the first place windows update is disabled still getting BSOD (Power state failure) when exiting games with unmodified drivers. I'm running a modified 347.09 driver now.

RAM-disk, you might be safe now to do all the outstanding Microsoft updates - maybe don't do KB2975719 - but it might help to have the rest of the updates.

Maybe set a restore point / recovery point before doing the updates 🙂

If you are leaning toward tossing it off the roof still, it might be worth a try before the fling...

RAM-disk
Level 7
Windows updated now, KB2975719 not to be found, still BSOD with unmodified drivers.
"Ram disk" is not an installation procedure !!!

RAM-disk wrote:
Windows updated now, KB2975719 not to be found, still BSOD with unmodified drivers.

RAM-disk, are you running the original Asus OS build, or did you do an install from Windows 8.1 Microsoft media?