Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyRaspin View Post
    @Praz

Can you tell me if you have to use the IC Clamp to do this job please ?
    Hello

Yes. Both 3M and Pomona versions work.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array R5Eandme PC Specs
    R5Eandme PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme/U3.1
    Processori7-5930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M8A2400C14
    Graphics Card #1MSI Geforce GTX 980Ti
    Sound CardAsus Essence STX II
    MonitorAcer B286HK 4K UHD
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932
    Power SupplyThermaltake TPG-1200M-F 1200W
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown
    Mouse Asus Sica
    Mouse Pad "And God said ... <Maxwell's equations> ... and there was light."
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro
    Accessory #1 Asus USB 3.1 A, StarTech USB 3.1 C PCIe adapters
    Accessory #2 Syba 1394A/B Firewire PCIe adapter PEX30009
    Accessory #3 Asus OC Panel I

Question What about using EEPROM programmer to "clone" bad chip from good one?

Thank you all I found this thread very useful as I am dealing with a corrupted BIOS1 chip after an attempted COPY from BIOS2 (boot loops with Q code 00) on an R5E/U3.1 motherboard. My question is: what about using a chip programmer to read the contents of the good chip into a bin or hex file, then using that to program the bad chip? Physically removing the good chip and placing it in the programmers ZIF socket to read it. I am thinking it would be simpler than using FD44Editor to manually program mobo-specific parameters such as mac address, UUID, S/N into a downloaded BIOS image file from ASUS, then writing to chip? I will be using the GQ USB Universal Programmer (GQ-4x4) and its software interface which looks very similar to EZP2010/2013. GQ-4x4 works with the Winbond W25Q128FVxx chips on my R5E.

R5Eandme PC Specs
    Processori7-5930K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    Mouse Asus Sica
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro

Was able to clone the good BIOS2 chip to a replacement BIOS1 chip

Sorry for my previous questions but I found a solution with help from the good technical info on the forum. On my dual BIOS R5E, I used the COPY BIOS2 to BIOS1 command, which corrupted the BIOS1 chip. It would enter an on/off post loop with Q-code “00”, a situation others have experienced. To replace the corrupted BIOS1 chip, I was able to clone my good BIOS2 chip to a new BIOS1 chip that I ordered from www.bios-chip24.com. They are both Windbond 25Q128FVIQ EEPROMs. The corrupted BIOS chip was toasted. My SPI programmer couldn't read Device_ID, Manufacturer or chip Device Type, which are always present from the chip manufacturer. Device_ID was "FFFFFF" while it should have been "EF4018". Using a GQ-4x4 SPI programmer, I read the contents of the good BIOS2 chip into a bin file and used the DF44Editor program to verify the presence of my unique MAC address, motherboard serial number, and BIOS UUID (thanks to all who developed FD44Editor!). The chip from www.bios-chip24.com arrived flashed with latest BIOS vers 3701, however, DF44Editor revealed no settings for MAC, UUID and S/N. So to avoid problems with Windows authentication or any other system that uses those unique mobo identifiers, I used the SPI programmer to clone the contents of the OEM BIOS2 chip to the replacement BIOS1 chip. I erased the replacement chip, checked for blank, loaded the bin file from BIOS2 into the programmer buffer and wrote/verified to BIOS1 chip. The checksums of BIOS2 and BIOS1 matched. DF44Editor showed that the newly cloned BIOS1 chip had correct MAC, UUID and S/N. I replaced the chips into the R5E and they are both posting nicely. As others have said, If you don't have a backup chip to clone from, the MAC is on a sticker on the side of the 24 pin mobo power connector, the S/N is on a sticker at the top of the mobo (the 15 digits after the 000 and it is different from what appears on the mobo box in my case ), but the UUID is hard to get, unless you have previously run from the cmd prompt: wmic csproduct get name, identifyingnumber,uuid. But apparently there is a big-endian/little-endian confusion issue as described in the BIOS Chip Recovery Program post and video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaZqJPG75A . This thread is a great discussion and I learned enough to get my dual BIOS chips back on track and avoid having to RMA the mobo.

R5Eandme PC Specs
    Processori7-5930K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    Mouse Asus Sica
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro

Curious to know how ASUS BIOS update utilities work

Hello. Does anyone know why when you use a BIOS update utility such as BIOS FLASHBACK or EZ FLASH 2, that it does not overwrite the unique identifier fields for your motherboard that are stored on the BIOS chip? I am talking about MAC address, motherboard serial number and UUID. Are these stored in write-protected blocks on the BIOS chip, or does the update utility avoid overwriting them by writing the UEFI program code elsewhere on the chip? I ask because I have a replacement BIOS chip that was written using an SPI EEPROM programmer with the bin file read from the original good ASUS bios chip, as described in previous post. Curious to know what happens if ASUS releases a new BIOS and I use FLASHBACK on the cloned chip. There are ways around problems, but I am just curious about what's under the hood here. Thanks!

ROG Junior Member Array

Hi LiveOrDie,

Thanks for sharing the solutions.

Personally, I have tried the reset of the CMOS, the removal of the motherboard battery and the bootable USB key with the Bios on it to setup the last version through DOS, but it didn't work.

I have been able to resolve the situation with the help of a SPI programmer and a test clip. It flashes the Bios even if the computer won't start.

You can find a guide here: Guide to flash a Bios with a SPI CH341A mini programmer

Good luck!

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array LiveOrDie PC Specs
    LiveOrDie PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE Custom IHS @ 4.6Ghz 1.23v
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
    Graphics Card #1AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11G
    MonitorLG 4k 43inch
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVME 512gb
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x 2
    CPU CoolerEK-Velocity , EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 500D SE ATX-E Modded
    Power SupplyCooler Master Vanguard Series 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Razer Tiamat 2.2 v2
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterNetGear

Quote Originally Posted by R5Eandme View Post
    Hello. Does anyone know why when you use a BIOS update utility such as BIOS FLASHBACK or EZ FLASH 2, that it does not overwrite the unique identifier fields for your motherboard that are stored on the BIOS chip? I am talking about MAC address, motherboard serial number and UUID. Are these stored in write-protected blocks on the BIOS chip, or does the update utility avoid overwriting them by writing the UEFI program code elsewhere on the chip? I ask because I have a replacement BIOS chip that was written using an SPI EEPROM programmer with the bin file read from the original good ASUS bios chip, as described in previous post. Curious to know what happens if ASUS releases a new BIOS and I use FLASHBACK on the cloned chip. There are ways around problems, but I am just curious about what's under the hood here. Thanks!
    Wow this is old but both of those utilities are designed to only flash sections of the bios chip with skipping some, as each bios has its own info on it so flashing the whole chip would remove this info and replace it with nothing.

R5Eandme PC Specs
    Processori7-5930K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    Mouse Asus Sica
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LiveOrDie View Post
    Wow this is old but both of those utilities are designed to only flash sections of the bios chip with skipping some, as each bios has its own info on it so flashing the whole chip would remove this info and replace it with nothing.
    Thanks for this great info LiveOrDie,
    I suspected that BIOS flash utilities worked that way, writing to selective generic blocks and skipping blocks with info specific to your mobo. It sure is handy to have SPI EEPROM capabilities as it reads and writes the entire chip contents, but you need to first have obtained the bin file from your good chip before it gets corrupted

R5Eandme PC Specs
    Processori7-5930K
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    Mouse Asus Sica
    OS Win 10 x64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Hello

As I wrote above we do programming in-circuit. That means no desoldering is required. However, I cannot speak to the capabilities of the cheap hobby type programmers having this capability.
    Praz or others:

When you do SPI programming of BIOS chip "in-circuit" do you have mobo powered down and use the programmer voltage supply, or do you apply mobo standby power and connect all leads to the SPI port except for the voltage supply (e.g. Vcc pin)? I have a Willem GQ-4x4 programmer.

Thanks

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6