Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Asus H170 Pro BIOS recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Null View Post
    Future notes to anyone attempting this:
    UEFITool is not needed if you are using FD44Editor, the UEFITool is only to remove the first 2KB the CAP files have to get to the core description(s) Gbe(Mac Address) / bios image, FD44Editor already does this for you.
    FD44Editor Author: "CodeRush" Tutorial - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1726429
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/need-help-changing-a-asus-bios-cap-file-into-a-rom-file.208236/
    http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-x9...unknown_150008
    Hey there @Null, @LiveOrDie
    First of all thank you all for starting this thread. I have a situation. In a few words,
    I've bricked my H170 Pro mobo trying to update the BIOS. I've tried all the possible recovery solutions and I guess that there is nothing left except the recovery using a programmer. I've read different opinions and tutorials regarding how it should be done properly but there are opposite opinions and at this point that's why I am pretty confused.
    I've receive a CH341A programmer and I am planing to use it. I've already back-up the original Bios Chip (damaged) content in order to preserve the MAC, UUID etc.
    My concerns are related to the following:

1.Is it really necessarily to remove the AMI Capsule, How can this help in the process and how this affect if we are not remove?
    I saw at least 2 techniques using UEFI tool,

1a.here in this guide like this :

1b.On the other hand the way LiveOrDie have made it in his tutoral, right click ONLY on Intel Image and extract as is.

Which is better and why?

2.As I've read, the Bios chip contain 5 SPI regions (please correct me if I am wrong) : FD, BIOS, ME, GbE, EC.
    Having said that, if we are interested to recovery and write only the BIOS sequence, the "erase" command of the Programmer software will erase the whole chip or the other regions are locked? I don't think that exist an "erase specified section of the Bios chip" command. If not, we should restore the other regions as well?

I appreciate it.

New ROGer Array

CH341A cannot recovery????

I have CH341A Programmer. not EZP2010.
    CH341 programmer cannot UEFI BIOS chip recover ????

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array LiveOrDie PC Specs
    LiveOrDie PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE Custom IHS @ 4.6Ghz 1.23v
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
    Graphics Card #1AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11G
    MonitorLG 4k 43inch
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVME 512gb
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x 2
    CPU CoolerEK-Velocity , EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 500D SE ATX-E Modded
    Power SupplyCooler Master Vanguard Series 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Razer Tiamat 2.2 v2
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterNetGear

Quote Originally Posted by Sara_J View Post
    Hey there @Null, @LiveOrDie
    First of all thank you all for starting this thread. I have a situation. In a few words,
    I've bricked my H170 Pro mobo trying to update the BIOS. I've tried all the possible recovery solutions and I guess that there is nothing left except the recovery using a programmer. I've read different opinions and tutorials regarding how it should be done properly but there are opposite opinions and at this point that's why I am pretty confused.
    I've receive a CH341A programmer and I am planing to use it. I've already back-up the original Bios Chip (damaged) content in order to preserve the MAC, UUID etc.
    My concerns are related to the following:

1.Is it really necessarily to remove the AMI Capsule, How can this help in the process and how this affect if we are not remove?
    I saw at least 2 techniques using UEFI tool,

1a.here in this guide like this :

1b.On the other hand the way LiveOrDie have made it in his tutoral, right click ONLY on Intel Image and extract as is.

Which is better and why?

2.As I've read, the Bios chip contain 5 SPI regions (please correct me if I am wrong) : FD, BIOS, ME, GbE, EC.
    Having said that, if we are interested to recovery and write only the BIOS sequence, the "erase" command of the Programmer software will erase the whole chip or the other regions are locked? I don't think that exist an "erase specified section of the Bios chip" command. If not, we should restore the other regions as well?

I appreciate it.
    Wow this is old lol but you extract it because you can't flash a CAP file your extracting the bios image to use to flash.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by LiveOrDie View Post
    Wow this is old lol but you extract it because you can't flash a CAP file your extracting the bios image to use to flash.
    The new Asus X299/X399/Z270 motherboards have eeprom bios chip soldered and I can't understand why Asus made this choice, avoiding to reprogram chip for ourselves.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array LiveOrDie PC Specs
    LiveOrDie PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE Custom IHS @ 4.6Ghz 1.23v
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
    Graphics Card #1AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11G
    MonitorLG 4k 43inch
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVME 512gb
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x 2
    CPU CoolerEK-Velocity , EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 500D SE ATX-E Modded
    Power SupplyCooler Master Vanguard Series 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Razer Tiamat 2.2 v2
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterNetGear

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyRaspin View Post
    The new Asus X299/X399/Z270 motherboards have eeprom bios chip soldered and I can't understand why Asus made this choice, avoiding to reprogram chip for ourselves.
    Wow that sucks lol.

Hello

The chips can still be programmed. We have been programming SOIC type devices in-circuit for years.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Hello

The chips can still be programmed. We have been programming SOIC type devices in-circuit for years.
    What I mean is that you have to desolder eeprom and resolder again in order to erase/program the eeprom itself, or you could try to attach an IC Clamp and see
    if that trick works with the EZP2010 or similar eeprom programmer.

Anyway it's not an easy task as it was before, like on Rampage V where both chips have their own socket and can be easily replaced or extracted. Furthermore, considering the amount of Rampage V motherboards bricked due to bios corruptions I can't understand the Asus choice to directly solder eepom bios chip on the motherboard PCB.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

What I mean is that you have to desolder eeprom and resolder again in order to erase/program the eeprom itself, or you could try to attach an IC Clamp and see

Anyway it's not an easy task as it was before, like on Rampage V where both chips have their own socket and can be easily replaced or extracted. Furthermore, considering the amount of Rampage V motherboards bricked due to bios corruptions I can't understand the Asus choice to directly solder eepom bios chip on the motherboard PCB.
    Just have to use the clamp is all. I did like the the easy out sockets much better but with that comes problems. If one pin has a loose connection it can wreak all kinds of havoc. If you are crafty enough and ever face the task of having to desolder the eprom that would be your perfect chance to put in a socket.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13153

http://www.newark.com/amphenol-fci/d...85550001208488

Hello

As I wrote above we do programming in-circuit. That means no desoldering is required. However, I cannot speak to the capabilities of the cheap hobby type programmers having this capability.

ROG Enthusiast Array

@Praz

Can you tell me if you have to use the IC Clamp to do this job please ?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast