cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refuses to display post/bios/windows boot on displayport monitor

BaldurEx
Level 7
I recently purchased the ROG Swift monitor. However, it will not post or show the bios when ever I turn on or restart my computer. I have confirm that my main monitor is set to the primary and if I click Identity, it shows my main monitor as "1".

However, Post/BIOS/Windows loading screen is on the "2" monitor. I'm a bit stumped on how to fix it. What's odd is I can disable the second monitor in Windows and select "Show only on 1", reboot, and it will still show it on the 2nd monitor. It seems the card wants to default to HDMI for this, not display port. I cannot swap cables physically either as one is my ROG Swift 2650x 1440 (DisplayPort required), and the other is LCD TV 1920x1080 (HDMI).

Even if the ROG Swift is the only one connected it will not display the bios and will only fully turn on once it is booting/logging into windows. So right now the only ones that will display the bios when booting are my old DVI Monitor or my HDMI LCD TV. This is a nuisance as I planned on getting rid of my older screens but now I am forced to keep them around if I ever need to tweak my bios settings for any particular reason.

Out of ideas here... 😞
20 REPLIES 20

stimpysticks
Level 7
Hi,

I too had (sorry, possibly still have) issues when booting with the ROG swift attached (ie black screen at BIOS, although the pc does boot to windows since i can hear the logon chime and the hd activity lights flash away. There is however still a black screen at windows though!!). It appears to be the GPU/motherboard combination with displayport attached screens or settings relating to them in the bios, not the monitor as such.

What you can do to rectify this depends on various factors. You might be lucky and could be one adjustment in the BIOS away from sorting it out, or if you are unlucky enough like me with an older X58 specific mobo and a GTX970 you could be in for a bit of a headache.

Which gpu and motherboard to you have? and also are you using an older version of BIOS or UEFI?

I'm still waiting to see but i might have solved it personally by adding an additional hdmi monitor, which is a bit of an annoyance.

Others have gotten it solved by various methods: mostly with a setting in the BIOS. Apparently by switching from pcie 2.0 to 3.0 solves it (and some motherboards allow you to do this for compatibility sakes if newer). Disabling the onboard graphics if you have any, or insuring the primary boot display is the pcie device not onboard also helped others.

alubat
Level 7
I also have this problem with ROG Swift. Not cool when you are running a multiboot system 😞
Always working on hdmi out. So I have to turn on tv when going to bios or when choosing system to boot

X79 deluxe motherboard, GTX 760

Would love to get this solved

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey!

Same here, kinda annoying to have to watch my post on tv while wifey's watching "the voice" lol. Hey honey wait a sec i've got to change HDMI so i can go into bios... -___________________________-

Solution would be nice.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

BlackSteel
Level 8
Hi all,

I am experiencing the same issue however....

PG278Q
Build date January 2015

-: When i unplug my TV (Hdmi) From the back of the graphics card the ROG swift displays Post/Bios as it should.

-: My Bios is the last up to date bios which was released by asus for my board (1903)

_: Mobo/bios has the option for PCIE 2.0 or 3.0 (3.0 selected. No difference)

-: Igpu is Disabled (as best as the motherboard/bios allows via the selectable options)

_: PCIE is set to primary

-: Rog swift is display 1 TV (HDMI) is display 2 (within windows) *win7x64

-: Display 2 disabled within windows (No difference)

What i feel needs to be addressed here is two things, first been I have another monitor (BENQ XL2420T) which can be connected via display port 1.2 to replicate the same current connection setup as we have with the rog swift (DP) TV (HDMI)

If the BENQ XL2420T fail's to display post/bios, will it fail to do so when TV HDMI is also unplugged..? (For me when TV is unplugged ROG Swift works as it should as mentioned above)

I had the BENQ connected via DVI and TV via HDMI and Post/bios was always on the monitor (In windows with this connection setup TV was reported as Display 1 and monitor was Display 2, telling the OS to make the monitor primary display i never had any issues like the one were facing here.

I will test this tomorrow and report back to you all

If it does behave the same as the ROG swift then i am inclined to believe that DVI takes precedence over HDMI and HDMI takes precedence over DP 1.2 (as far as pre windows load is concerned)

If that is the case then i feel it is more a GPU Connection issue which either bios should have a true setting to tell the GPU which connection should display from "Boot" as this cannot be done via OS software as when posting, drivers/Settings are yet to be loaded. Unless the Display Driver can somehow force (DP) to be giving output ONLY when post/bios.

GPU manufacturers should test these scenario's and give some kind of option to force which port/connection should be "KING" which ideally is more a motherboard thing.

I also have a DVI to HDMI converter which i will also try to see if the signal goes to the DP or the DVI port first upon POST/BIOS.

How have asus not tested such scenarios beats the hell out of me... Or perhaps they did, which if so then whats the solution here?
Why would i ride the swing's when i've already been to DisneyLand..

pr1me
Level 8
This is a little bit of a Necro but,

I somehow solved this problem with my board (it may or may not be useful for other boards)
I have:
Maximus vii formula (z97).
Rog swift (DP).
Qnix qx2710 (DVI).
Gtx Titan.
Win 8.1 x64 (UEFI install)
The bios would always boot on the Qnix (when both monitor are connected).
The bios would boot on the swift only when it's alone with no other monitor connected to the graphic card.

I had to change the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) from Enabled to Auto.
and black magic happenned, the bios grab the swift as main display, even when both monitor are connected.
Either Auto or disabled would make it work (which disable compatibility and full support secure boot).
I'm coming from a Rampage III Extreme with old bios, so im not 100% sure if the other uefi bios have this option or not.

Cheers

My CSM is already set to "Auto"
I found if i set it to disabled then the monitor shows the post while my TV is still attached to the GC, although i get a message right after post saying boot device incompatible.

Could you tell me, Are you using a ssd as your OS drive, if so which make and model.

Cheers

I use a samsung 850 Pro 256.

Are you 100% sure your Operating system is installed as UEFI?
That's why i pointed (and underlined) that my Os was installed as UEFI.
Once CSM is disabled, you can't boot an operating system that is not UEFI compliant.

CSM Disabled = UEFI only available.
CSM Enabled = Legacy OS install + UEFI OS install available.

At least, that's my understanding.
I don't have any spare HDD right now, so i can't test to confirm that.

You could double check to make sure you're running your OS as UEFI by checking the disk management

Or searching "msinfo32" (system information) and check the line Bios Mode.

This is still a problem as of Oct 2018 and I can confirm that this solution works. Had the same problem with a Rampage 6 extreme, 2 980ti poseidons and Swift PG348. Bios would only display to my TV via HDMI, disabled CSM per your suggestion and it solved the problem...bios displays on swift monitor only through DP , HDMI kicks on and becomes visible once its at the Windows login screen (at the proper resolution as well, before when i unplugged the TV the splash screen would display ROG logo blown up at way lower resolution on the swift) . Just heed OP's advice and make sure your boot device is UEFI or you're gonna run into a problem. THANK YOU dude, I'd tried everything I knew to do and it was starting to drive me nuts! lol

pr1me wrote:
This is a little bit of a Necro but,

I somehow solved this problem with my board (it may or may not be useful for other boards)
I have:
Maximus vii formula (z97).
Rog swift (DP).
Qnix qx2710 (DVI).
Gtx Titan.
Win 8.1 x64 (UEFI install)
The bios would always boot on the Qnix (when both monitor are connected).
The bios would boot on the swift only when it's alone with no other monitor connected to the graphic card.

I had to change the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) from Enabled to Auto.
and black magic happenned, the bios grab the swift as main display, even when both monitor are connected.
Either Auto or disabled would make it work (which disable compatibility and full support secure boot).
I'm coming from a Rampage III Extreme with old bios, so im not 100% sure if the other uefi bios have this option or not.

Cheers

BlackSteel
Level 8
There is my problem right there.

My OS is Win7x64 which i did not install in UEFI mode, guess its time for another reinstall.

Thanks Prime for the info.