cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5ghz at 1.42 volts...how??

TheOnlyDoor
Level 7
So I have been trying to get my 9590 stable at 5 ghz for a little while now.
Considering the 1.47 volts I needed to get my 8350 stable at 4.6 with Ultra high LLC I just assumed I need that or more for 5ghz with the 9590. No matter what LLC I used or how low or high I set the manual voltage iether temps went over 65c or my core speed would constantly droop to 1440mhz during stress test.
So just because I was bored I set all the settings to default, then the only thing I changed was my ram speed fromm 1333 to 1866, disabled turbo core and set LLC to Meduim. I left voltage on AUTO.
5 realbench passes all between 70005 and 72755, no lockups and 2 hrs stress test all result hash match. The voltage in cpuz never goes above 1.428.
This is at 5ghz!!!
I'm sure prime 95 would toss errors instantly but I'm still surprised at this. Going to run an 8 hr test and go to bed.
Any ideas why this is happening?
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
I would say you got a very good cpu and quite impressive.

Realbench is a great stress testing program vs. prime95. They both put 100% load on the cpu but for whatever reason prime95 shoots temps through the roof. Stick with realbench, it's much easier on your cpu when stress testing it.

Throw away prime95 I did.:D

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi TheOnlyDoor and I second Nate152

The algorithm used in Prime95 will intensify after each pass till a core eventually failes. Never run it for extended periods and monitor your temps constantly whilst running.

Again Realbench is your best bet for a realworld stress test and hats off to the developers.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

TheOnlyDoor
Level 7
Bump

Ok so it locked up after 5.5 hrs on stress test. I've done 8 runs at once of realbench marks and gamed for about an hour with no problems. Would you say that's basically stable or should I be going for a full 8 hr run with no problems before I declare stability?

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
That sounds like a solid CPU, but I personally would take any crashes in RealBench as instability (my final test involves the 8 hour long RealBench stress test) - I have to set voltage all the way up to 1.55 for stability at 5.0 GHz, so you're not doing too bad. Maybe bump your LLC one tick?

Z

Yeah after the 5 hr run ending up in a lock, I played BF4 for 2 solid hrs and ran real bench for another 7 runs topping out at a 73059 score. Feeling confident I decided to try another 8hr stress....locked up after 11 minutes...go figure.
So I'm going to try a 4 hr stress. If that fails I'll try bumping the LLC from medium to high.
Last time though high LLC caused my core speed to droop into the 1440mhz intermittently for some reason even though temps were under 57c.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I don't know why it would throttle at low temps like that - mine doesn't even throttle when temps creep up close to 80.

Z