cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4BE Bluetooth extremely short range?

Zolcos
Level 7
I recently upgraded the mobo on my HTPC. I used to have a P9X79 Deluxe and could use its bluetooth to connect a PS4 controller and play games from the couch.
I needed to use that mobo for something else so I replaced it with a new Rampage 4 BE and reinstalled Windows.
The bluetooth range is very bad now. It works fine if the controller is sitting right on top of the PC, but even moving it 1 foot away from the front of the case makes it lose connection.

Build:
Rampage IV Black Edition
Windows 7 x64
Core i7-4820K
GeForce GTX 780Ti

The only other thing that changed is the video card (previously a GTX 680 Classified). Everything else is the same, including the positioning of the case in my tv stand.
Why is the range so much worse with what should be a better mobo? Maybe some kind of driver problem that can be fixed?
8 REPLIES 8

jab383
Level 13
Hi Zolcos, and welcome

The most likely cause of extremely short range wireless is an open circuit in an antenna cable. Check that the antenna lines are firmly plugged in at every junction, especially at the card inside the case. Where there are threaded connectors, check that they are not cross-threaded and are all the way in.

If that doesn't improve the range, the bluetooth card may be bad. Is it possible to swap bluetooth cards between the new motherboard and old? That might let you check out the possible sources of fault.

Jeff

Zolcos
Level 7
Ah... after another look at the manual, it appears that the R4BE has no bluetooth antenna, but rather, the bluetooth is run through the wifi antenna. I didn't intend to use wifi so I hadn't connected it.
I just connected the wifi antenna and now the bluetooth works great. Thanks for the hint.

I am having this exact same problem with the PS4 controller and Maximus VI Formula. I can't so much as stand up at the computer without losing connection. I've gone through and installed new hardware and double checked and reinstalled all cards and connections without any improvement. I even got a bluetooth dongle and it was no help. I just reinstalled Windows and it didn't help. Thing is I just dumped $600 into my upgrade so I could play a few games in my living room and unfortunately as of now I can't. Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful, Thanks!

Vlada011
Level 10
That's completely normal that need Wi-Fi antenna. I couldn' even connect my previous mouse on Rampage V Extreme without antenna.
When I connect Wi-Fi she catch after 3 seconds from normal distance.

Vlada011 wrote:
That's completely normal that need Wi-Fi antenna. I couldn' even connect my previous mouse on Rampage V Extreme without antenna.
When I connect Wi-Fi she catch after 3 seconds from normal distance.

I have an antenna, way beyond that.

Korth
Level 14
There could be radio interference if you've recently started using another BT device or some other 2.4GHz device (even a cordless phone, cellular device, microwave oven, etc). BT radio modes are designed to resist interference but it sometimes still happens, weak signal and short range and slow bandwidths are the result.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
There could be radio interference if you've recently started using another BT device or some other 2.4GHz device (a cordless phone, microwave oven, etc). Even ~850MHz and ~5GHz devices (like cellular and WiFi) can cause ~2.4GHz interference if they're transmitting strong harmonics or out-of-band signals. BT radio modes are designed to resist interference but it sometimes still happens, short range and slow bandwidths are the common result because some frequency-hopped packets get drowned out and need to be confirmed or corrected or re-sent.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Incloud
Level 7
All the technology today and I can't get a PS4 controller to work at 10 feet away. My $15 Logitech mouse that sat in a drawer for a couple years works flawlessly from my backyard. I'll check back in another 10 years and maybe gaming pc's will be able to use gaming controllers, lol. Stupid!