Level 7
it's a 4790k not 4690 for the sake of precision , was tired... 🙂

Motherboard: Maximus Impact VII
CPU: Intel I7 4790K
RAM: KINGSTON SAVAGE 2x8
Video Card: ASUS STRIX GTX970
PSU: Seasonic S12G 550w
Cooling: CORSAIR H80i

Hi, getting desperate to fix my problem so...

First i thought my GTX970 was having a problem since i didn't get more FPS than my old GTX 680 setup but then i noticed that my 4790K was never going over 800mhz hence i concluded it was the bottleneck of my system , after further reading i confirmed with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility that my CPU Thermal Throttling was always at 100% ! therefore it was basically stuck at 800mhz instead of going toward 4GHZ+...

to fix it , i tried (for 3 days , and mind you i'm quite a geek) :
- all 3 bios for the MI7
- disabling all energy saving feature in the bios
- making sure power option in windows for the cpu was on high performance (100% cpu)
- replugged and re-pasted my cpu with thermal paste 2 times (even tho my temp is sitting at 30c max)

now i don't know what to think , i believe my mobo is defective altho everything else seems to work so far , i don't believe the CPU can be defective , the thermal throttling is a motherboard function pushed to the CPU (am i right?) , so i think i'll try to RMA the motherboard but i bought it while i was in holiday in taiwan , i hope Asus can work with that ?...

if anyone else has a clue or tip for my situation i would greatly appreciate it , coz it's pissing me quite hard to have spent about 1400E in a setup that is worse than my previous one , i never had a hardware defect product before.
18 REPLIES 18

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi sunofwisdom You are a little premature in determining your throttling is caused by a MB malfunction. Hold off that RMA for the time being.

You need to conduct a series of stress tests to determine if throttling is caused by heat to both CPU or your VRMs. (common causes)
If the VRMs are hot to touch, try having a desktop fan blowing on them. You may have to provide extra fans for this purpose if the desktop fan helps.
As you have windows power saving features off, we can discount that as this would only throttle down at idle if enabled.
During the stress test you should monitor temps using HWMonitor or CoreTemp. Not both, Just one monitoring application at a time to avoid erroneous readings.
Your cooler should be OK for stock values but may be inadequate at higher frequencies.
It would be a good idea to log these figures in case your system is shutting down under load.
What changes and settings do you have or have made in Bios as this is another issue?

Quote from another forum and relevant.

C1E Support drops your voltage when the cpu is below 5% use.

CPU TM Function (better known as CPU Thermal Management) is the setting that will throttle or even shut down your computer when your cpu temp (not the core temp, this is important to note since a cpu temp is about 10-15*C lower than the core temp) exceeds 100*C.

Intel SpeedStep Tech is the setting that will lower your multiplier to reduce core speed and heat.

Intel C-State Tech as far as i know has to do with low level sleep functions and is only used in a server situation, for this i maybe incorrect so please let me know if i am.

None of these settings at a stock cpu speed will cause any lag or issues at all, if they did they would not have been put on the cpu. however, in an overclocking situation were stable voltage is needed to be clean and consistent you would want to turn off C1E, SpeedStep and C-State as all of these change the cpu's resources. CPU TM Function can stay on if you want to have that extra security knowing that if your cpu fan dies then your computer will shut down, though also note that if a cpu actually reached 100*C on the CPU which would be about 110-120*C on the core damage would likely be done to the cpu even before the computer has a chance to shut down.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

sunofwisdom
Level 7

a few pictures , maybe that can help.

already tried disabling all those things , but i'll give it another shot , i noticed the voltage of my CPU is very low , maybe there's something to it and as for the VRM, if it's the daugther card near the ram , no they are not hot.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
Sounds like you need to run the intel processor diagnostic tool and let it evaluate the cpu. If it passes then you can look at the board.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

sunofwisdom
Level 7
it's a PASS... well dear motherboard... fix yourself now ! i order you. 45298

Hi sunofwisdom
Your CPU is an i7-4790k (not 4690k) as originally posted and your vcore is set too high. (probable reason for throttling)
Go back into your Bios (as degradation of your CPU will undoubtedly occur) and reset vcore to 1.25v-1.40 max depending on your clock frequency.
Start off at stock frequency.
Suggest you stress test as your pics only show at idle and your temps too.
I do hope your CPU is ok and if you cant get stability under load it may be too late.

Edit; Just noticed your Fanino is at 0 rpm and I think this is CPU so check your headers. Although I doubt it would run if this were the case.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi sunofwisdom
Your CPU is an i7-4790k (not 4690k) as originally posted and your vcore is set too high. (probable reason for throttling)
Go back into your Bios (as degradation of your CPU will undoubtedly occur) and reset vcore to 1.25v-1.40 max depending on your clock frequency.
Start off at stock frequency and min vcore voltage.
Suggest you stress test more rigorously using RealBench as your pics only show at idle and your temps too.
I do hope your CPU is ok. as stress testing at higher than recommended, you may have a stable system but that wont last long.

Edit; Just noticed your Fanino is at 0 rpm and I think this is CPU so check your headers. Although I doubt it would run if this were the case.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Alex_H
Level 7
VID is what we should be looking at. Not VCore. his VID is really low (0.7) because the cpu is stuck at 100% throttle (800mhz)

Alex H wrote:
VID is what we should be looking at. Not VCore. his VID is really low (0.7) because the cpu is stuck at 100% throttle (800mhz)

This is how I understand it.
VID (Voltage Identifier) = Voltage Level "request" by the CPU to the motherboard's VR (voltage regulator) to supply it, this is initialized by the CPU and can change accordingly if the CPU is in power saving mode like C1E/EIST features, and also each CPU has an unique max VID internally that was set at factory level while they're running at full load. Turning off power saving features like C1E/EIST will overide and disable those feature and the cpu's VID will be permanently set at their max.

VCore = Actual voltage "delivered/supplied" by the mobo to the cpu, this could be automatic from the cpu as the function of C1E/EIST features ... or ... it was manually set and override by user like in OCing, and this "manually set" vcore could be higher/lower than the cpu's VID at mobo with oc-ing capability.

About the voltage reading, VID is just a state or information that is in the CPU, while vcore is the actual voltage, and as usual, software based reading on vcore is not very accurate, expecting +/-10 to 20% off for normal condition.

So if VID is low and supposedly set at factory under full load how do we raise it? The CPU seems to be testing ok.
Is this a function in Bios or is there a problem with the MB?.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

sunofwisdom
Level 7
i'm still stuck with a Thermal Throttling at 100% even tho my Temp do not go beyond 30c , even on a unclocked cpu with all baseline values... i'm pulling my hair out of frustration.