cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Boot delay - black screen wth blinking / flashing white cursor after bios update

Portugieser
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on my G751. I have only one OS installed on the SSD (Win 8.1), the HDD is only for storage with no OS on it.

When I start the PC (boot up) this happens:
1. ROG logo appears (1 sec)
2. Black screen appears with quickly blinking white cursor on the top left corner (6-7 sec)
3. Windows boot starts to login screen.

Can you please advise how to get rid of that black screen under point 2? I did not have this on my G75, but suddently appears on my G751. No big deal, but annoying to wait longer for system boot.

In BIOS, my only boot sequence is the SSD drive, so no idea what the hell else the PC is checknig before Windows 8.1 boot starts. I did rebuild BCD as well, but nothing seem to help.

Might be it is due to the BIOS 205 update? Not sure this problem was there with the factory BIOS 202 .... anyone?

Many thanks,
P.
22 REPLIES 22

jever
Level 7
I have the same issue, just got my laptop.. deleted all win8 partitions and installed win7.

Upgraded the bios to 205 and after that I have boot delay aswell

jever wrote:
I have the same issue, just got my laptop.. deleted all win8 partitions and installed win7.

Upgraded the bios to 205 and after that I have boot delay aswell

Great, thanks ASUS for releasing such rubbish ... In the meanwhile I rolled back to Bios 202 and the issue is gone.

Portugieser wrote:
Great, thanks ASUS for releasing such rubbish ... In the meanwhile I rolled back to Bios 202 and the issue is gone.

Portugieser, maybe you could get away with updating somewhere between 202 and 205. There are useful improvements for temperature reading and monitoring in 203/204 as well.

Watch you temps 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Portugieser, maybe you could get away with updating somewhere between 202 and 205. There are useful improvements for temperature reading and monitoring in 203/204 as well.

Watch you temps 🙂

Thanks mate, I will, but so far it looks just fine. Also, my problem with 203 and 204 is this:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53249-PSA-G751-203-BIOS-limits-max-turbo-boost-from-35x-to...

is that missing 100mhz has anything that decreases FPS in games?

fabrimacator21 wrote:
Thanks mate, I will, but so far it looks just fine. Also, my problem with 203 and 204 is this:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53249-PSA-G751-203-BIOS-limits-max-turbo-boost-from-35x-to...

is that missing 100mhz has anything that decreases FPS in games?

fabrimacator21, it's funny, some that increase the multipliers with XTU complain it isn't enough of a boost, and those that are missing a small sliver of that improvement worry that they are missing out on a big improvement 🙂

The overall change, for example, of my 4700HQ from a Turbo boost of 3.2ghz to 3.4ghz is about 6% by the numbers, others have benchmarked some CPU rendering at over 10% improvement - so it can vary according to the usage. A drop of that 100mhz is about 25% reduction in the boost at 4 cores 100%, so that is significant. But, if you are talking about 1/2 core improvement it will be less of a percentage of loss. But, remember, that is only 25% of a 6% overall boost, maybe 10%, for a total of 2% or 2.5%, a tiny decrease.

If I had a choice between temperature and other BIOS fixes and losing .1ghz, I would pick the BIOS update.

hmscott wrote:
fabrimacator21, it's funny, some that increase the multipliers with XTU complain it isn't enough of a boost, and those that are missing a small sliver of that improvement worry that they are missing out on a big improvement 🙂

The overall change, for example, of my 4700HQ from a Turbo boost of 3.2ghz to 3.4ghz is about 6% by the numbers, others have benchmarked some CPU rendering at over 10% improvement - so it can vary according to the usage. A drop of that 100mhz is about 25% reduction in the boost at 4 cores 100%, so that is significant. But, if you are talking about 1/2 core improvement it will be less of a percentage of loss. But, remember, that is only 25% of a 6% overall boost, maybe 10%, for a total of 2% or 2.5%, a tiny decrease.

If I had a choice between temperature and other BIOS fixes and losing .1ghz, I would pick the BIOS update.

Thanks mate, will do the maths and then decide. Need a good sleep before this . 🙂

hmscott wrote:

Well, after hours of playing, the CPU and GPU temps are around 60-70 ... I see no issues here. Any specific thing to watch at temps?

Portugieser wrote:
Well, after hours of playing, the CPU and GPU temps are around 60-70 ... I see no issues here. Any specific thing to watch at temps?

Portugieser, playing games isn't the same as running a fixed stress test or benchmark that can be compared across hardware. When you run a stress test or a benchmark the task is the same, and the results known, so they can be compared to what you get.

Most of the complaints have been when pushing the CPU/GPU at the same time, doing a simultaneous combined CPU / GPU stress test. Running prime95 Small FFT tests + Furmark 15 minute burnin can send the G751JY into Thermal Throttling, with the newer BIOS's the results have been better, is it because it is running 1x less boost on 4 cores, it might be, but even so some still Thermal Throttle and need to reduce their 3/4 simultaneous cores down another 1x or 2x.

prime95 download
http://www.mersenne.org/download/

furmark download
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

hwinfo64 download
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Here is an example of a run with the numbers showing, it helps to use windows snipping tool to grab what you need in a screenshot:

I add GPU-Z for monitoring more GPU info, and Asus GPU Tweak for Graphic cards to show OC.

Here are some furmark+prime95 results for the G751, there are some before this post and some after:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54521-Cpu-or-Fan-problem&p=457188&viewfull=1#post457188

Please post similar with 202 BIOS and if you like 204 BIOS.

The 205 BIOS slow boot is new, when 205 first came out noone mentioned it - maybe they didn't notice? Or something else is involved? Maybe just do a Set Defaults in the BIOS before/after upgrade, has that been tried?

dapogz
Level 8
it happen to me once only to find out that, the blinking white light on the bulb icon means computer is in sleep mode.. either you accidentally pressed the sleep button or you have close the laptop lid before shutting down the laptop completely.

Solutions i found.
-Press fn+F7
-Press Esc or Enter repeatedly
-Press the power button again