cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native DisplayPort monitor + 2 DVI monitor + AMD driver above v14 = 1 black screen

bigpoppasmooth
Level 7
Hi All, and thanks in advance for your attempts to help.

Allow me to break things down a little bit more for you. I previously owned (2) Asus 7970 Direct CU II that ran in Crossfire that ran (1) Dell 3011 via DisplayPort, and (2) Dell 2001FP via DVI-D...and I currently own (2) Asus R9290-DC2OC-4GD5 on the same monitors. Motherboard is a Crosshair-Z. Windows 8.1 -64

With both sets of cards I have only been able to use driver versions up to 13.125. I have tried with both sets of cards to use drivers from 14.1 - 14.9 and every single time I loose the use the monitor to the right (2001FP).

I am well aware of the "Black Screen" issue, and even took that into account. I have an active DiplayPort to DVI adapter from when Eyefinity was first introduced and I had a 3rd 2001FP. I used that to connect the 3011 but I had the same result of 1 black 2001FP.

This happens with 1 card or 2. Crossfire or not. VBIOS is up to date.

I have re-installed Windows several times. Used AMD driver Cleaner as well as Driver Sweeper and at least 1 other program to clean drivers before attempting install.

I made the mistake of running a few benchmarks while on 14.9 and my performance boost is crazy. I'm really dying to get these new drivers installed but need to keep all 3 of my monitors working.

Please let me know if you need some more info I may have left out.
Thanks again. I look forward to trying out some of your ideas.
3 REPLIES 3

elesde
Level 10
I'll shoot the stupid question first, have you also tried the 14.12 driver? 😃

Another thing you could try is running those 2001FP at a lower refresh rate.
Since it worked with an older driver I can only assume the driver is at fault and urge you to use the AMD driver issue reporting form.

elesde wrote:
I'll shoot the stupid question first, have you also tried the 14.12 driver? 😃

Another thing you could try is running those 2001FP at a lower refresh rate.
Since it worked with an older driver I can only assume the driver is at fault and urge you to use the AMD driver issue reporting form.

Haha Yes, I tried the 14.12 drivers. They were nice and polite, and then they killed my monitor. So they had to go. haha

Thanks, the driver issue form was my next stop. Always best to check with the community first.

Hi bigpoppasmooth
I had the same problem and it was about the display port as my monitor as # one. I read up about the specs about display port and found that the primary monitor needs to be DVI, then use display ports in as 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.