cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX GPU Fan is Loud

Panda
Level 7
My GPU fan is constantly at the same sound decibel from startup to gaming. Mine can be faintly heard from my doorframe, which is about 8-10 feet away. Is there any program or drivers that can solve this issue? or is this how loud it should be?
20 REPLIES 20

dstrakele
Level 14
I can also hear (but barely detect) my G74SX fan running from 10 feet away. It is the quietest notebook I've owned by far. It does get louder when I stress test it and the fan rpm increases.

I recommend comparing yours to a display model at a retailer to confirm you have a problem. I can't tell from your written description.

SpeedFan displays "CPU Fan" speed. On my system, it idles at 2600-2610 rpm. On a stress test, I believe it increased to 3200+ rpm.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Panda
Level 7
I downloaded SpeedFan and I get 2100-2600 rpm for CPU, how can I check for GPU?

Panda
Level 7
Help please, here's a video I just took of the noise.. http://youtu.be/OLoVKgpTrWw

dstrakele
Level 14
After listening to the video several times, I don't believe you've got a problem. Your fan idle speed is the same as mine. It sounds a little louder than mine in the video, but other noises, such as your fiddling with the spacebar key also sounds relatively loud. Again, I don't believe you've got a problem.

The backlighting is meant to illuminate the letters and icons on the keys. There is only the little running man icon on the spacebar and it is illuminated. You have no problem there either.

Panda
Level 7
Ok, I now understand the backlit keyboard now, but you still say that my fan is still louder than yours. I was also at idle.

dstrakele
Level 14
But I believe it sounded louder due to the recording level. I believe if my G74SX sat next to yours, you couldn't tell which was louder. If you had some normal level voice in the video, it would be easier to judge.

Panda
Level 7
If you take your headphones off, can you hear the fan from an upright position?

Panda wrote:
If you take your headphones off, can you hear the fan from an upright position?

I sure can. As I said earlier, if the room is completely silent and I listen closely, I can hear the fan from 10 feet away. If I put my ear down next to the keyboard, as you did with your camera, it sounds even louder. But if I'm working or playing normally on it, I don't notice the fan noise. Not so for other laptops (and desktops) I've owned.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Panda wrote:
My GPU fan is constantly at the same sound decibel from startup to gaming. Mine can be faintly heard from my doorframe, which is about 8-10 feet away. Is there any program or drivers that can solve this issue? or is this how loud it should be?

I agree with dstrakele....I don't think there's a problem, based on your description and the video. It seems pretty normal to me. Every laptop has fan noise....certainly loud enough to hear when you're sitting with it. Sometimes loud enough to hear from across the room.

I'm curious why you think it's specifically the GPU fan that you're hearing?