cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a gl551jm run these games

jopoli697
Level 7
HI,

i bought a G551JM ROG PC that comes with the GEFORCE GTX860M video card (2 gb ram) and 16 gb RAM and Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ processor etc.
lately i 've run the "can you run it" test for Assassins Creed Unity And The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt and i've failed for both of these games i can't even manage to reach the minimum requirements but i've seen youtube videos of people that has played these games with up to medium settings with the gtx 860m (in a lenovo y50 mainly) and other forums say its imposible to run them with this video card. i dont want to buy them without knowing for sure if i'm gonna be able to run them at least on medium settings, and at this point i dont trust the youtube videos or other forums so i turn to you guys, has anyone played unity on this laptop? do u think im gonna be able to play wild hunt? ty in advance.

PS: sorry for my bad english, its not my native language.
2 REPLIES 2

hmscott
Level 12
jopoli697 wrote:
HI,

i bought a G551JM ROG PC that comes with the GEFORCE GTX860M video card (2 gb ram) and 16 gb RAM and Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ processor etc.
lately i 've run the "can you run it" test for Assassins Creed Unity And The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt and i've failed for both of these games i can't even manage to reach the minimum requirements but i've seen youtube videos of people that has played these games with up to medium settings with the gtx 860m (in a lenovo y50 mainly) and other forums say its imposible to run them with this video card. i dont want to buy them without knowing for sure if i'm gonna be able to run them at least on medium settings, and at this point i dont trust the youtube videos or other forums so i turn to you guys, has anyone played unity on this laptop? do u think im gonna be able to play wild hunt? ty in advance.

PS: sorry for my bad english, its not my native language.

jopoli697, don't worry about the test if you see people running it ok. The test is pretty lame, and says it recommends a 3.3ghz processor and says mine is 2.4ghz, when in fact it is a 3.5ghz processor, it also doesn't recognize my 780m mobile processor.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/download-app/?referrer-id=1046&application-id=79&return-ur...

I would imagine all G751/G750 laptops would also fail tests, and still be able to run the games 🙂

You can reduce the desktop size and/or eye candy in games to run them aok. Follow the recommendations in the videos for people playing the game on your laptop model, and use their settings as a starting point.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

Edweird
Level 10
I wouldn't trust these websites. The "official" requirement is a GTX 680 desktop GPU, which is roughly equivalent to a GTX 770. My 980M is slightly more powerful than a 770 and game-debate shows it as 40% more powerful than the requirement for Unity. Another website thinks it's 20% less powerful than needed.

Indeed this GPU will drive Unity up to 60FPS with good drivers. I see that you can run a 860M on Very High settings at 25-30FPS, which is playable. Going to medium you can see spikes of up to 40FPS on a GPU that is supposedly 33% less powerful than required. Also it is somewhat important to see WHICH 860M they mean. There's the old one ... and then there's the Maxwell 860M in the 551. The difference is not too big but it can be noticeable - Unity is notorious for strange behaviour between components.

Recommended reading:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-860M-Maxwell-vs-Kepler.114908.0.html