cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New system, wont post, no Q codes, lights flicker, fans start on their own.

frostedsquid
Level 7
Hi!
I just got a Rampage V Extreme to build a new system with. I installed it in the case with a 5930K cpu and 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston Predator DDR4 3000 ram. Im using for the time being an old SSD and basic GTX 740 thats only a few months old. 850w Antec psu that I have been using for several years without issue.

The system started up first boot, and I went into bios. I noticed the ram was running at 2133. I figured Id try setting it to 3000 for the hell of it. System wouldn't post, so I fumbled with the onboard buttons until it booted, and then I set it back to defaults. Rebooted, set the boot drive. After it finished post when it would go to boot, rather than windows loading it just reset. No problem i thought, I'm going to reinstall windows anyway. I went to look for a usb stick, and when I got back the lit start and reset buttons were flickering. The fans were rapidly starting and stopping. So I quickly switched it off at the psu.

Now when I connect power, the motherboard lights up, the fans spin up, the q code displays 00, and the ssd gets power, as if it is starting up on its own. but nothing happens. If I press the power button (which is lit solid to begin with), the buttons starts flickering again. The fans run but occasionally stop and start again. It seems kind of like a short? The q code stays on "00" always. The manual says this is not used, which worries me. If I hold the start button for a few seconds it goes back to solid lit and fans are stable and constant high power.

So it seems like when you connect power, it is kind of off, but with power to everything and fans running. When you press start it flickers and spazes out, until you hold the start button and half power off or whatever again. The OC module had power and displayed things (as normal i guess?) before I disconnected it. I have disconnected everything except the ram, cpu, gpu, 24 pin power, and 8 pin power. If I disconnect the fans and the GPU there is no change. I have checked for shorts, loose screws, nothing seems wrong. No lights are lit besides the normal ones, the leds down the side of the 24 pin connector dont light up. There is no difference if I switch between the two bios chips.

I tested another psu with it, the only change was when power is connected the fans don't start on their own and q code digits don't light up. When I press the start button, the same thing happens with the flickering, but now the q code digits are flickering too. I changed back to the first psu and it maintains this behaviour. I am about to take it all out and test it on an anti-static bag with just the psu. Nothing seems to make a difference thus far though so im not holding out much hope that that will fix it.

What's going on? Is the mobo dead? Is it stuck in some tuning cycle or something I don't understand? I really really don't want it to be dead, because its going to be a nightmare to replace. It'l get sent away blah blah blah and I need a damn working computer.

Any ideas? Im new to these mobos so I dont know all the ins and outs. Thanks!

One more thing - I also had a raid card installed the first few boots. Its harmless. I also had a PCIe USB3 card I just bought, which I am becoming suspicious of. The system I am replacing, was a high end mobo and i7-920. It had served me well for maybe 5 years. the past year or so the mobo started having issues, some usb ports didn't work properly, etc. Then the other day I got this usb3 card so I could use a kinect 2.0. The system was working the day before. I put the card in, then tried to turn on the computer, and nothing happened. the mobo was lit, usb drives got power, everything seemed fine, but nothing happened when I pushed the power button on the mobo. It was liKe I didn't do anything. I removed the card. I changed psu. It just wouldn't respond to the button or to shorting the power switch jumpers. So like an idiot I put that card in this machine cause what the hell, 2 more usb3 ports. I thought maybe that card is killed both mobos somehow... but this board did boot and adjust settings a few times without issue. So that seems to point to something else to me.
16 REPLIES 16

Shazbat
Level 7
I have seen that with mine. If you are going to OC your RAM the easiest and most successful way for me has been to use the XMP settings.

I tried just setting DDR4 3000 and it wont boot. Seems the BIOS will do that with settings it does not like. To fix that I power down unplug wait a few and reboot and fix the BIOS setting by setting them to default.

There is also a switch you can use to swap to BIOS 2 but I don't usually need that.

Chino
Level 15
Remove your motherboard and put it on top of the box that it came in. Proceed to remove every single component. Inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins.

Also, which heatsink are you using?

AdamC
Level 10
I have been through the same hell when I changed the memory frequency to 3000 the first time. Yes use XMP is the easiest way. But then it will change the CPU strap to 125 and a lower multiplier all together. There are many settings from cpu, dram, motherboard chip set, all affecting each other. I am still new to this myself. I suggest you dig up more posts, read more values other people are using. Which will give you a general ideal of range to work with yours.

frostedsquid
Level 7
Yeah tried all the thing shazbot suggeted. These issues started after I had ram back to default and it was starting ok.

So anyway I left it in its seemingly off but power connected state to go and write that first post. I posted it then went back and decided to try one more time before pulling everything out of the case. The mobo started up as normal, completed post, and began loading windows. wtf.

Im pretty damn happy that its working. Im just a little worried not knowing what was going wrong. I really want this machine to be reliable and its off to a bad start lol. There is still one problem - it wont stay off. When it powers off it will stay off for about 5 seconds then turn itself on again and boot normally. Any ideas what causes this?

frostedsquid wrote:

There is still one problem - it wont stay off. When it powers off it will stay off for about 5 seconds then turn itself on again and boot normally. Any ideas what causes this?

Which Windows are you using? Is it a fresh install? And do you have the Intel RST software installed?

Just formatted the ssd and did a clean install of windows 8.1, so I don't have anything beyond that installed. But im not talking about from when you shut it down in windows, I mean anytime it has power, it will try to boot. as soon as you turn the psu on. then if you press the power button to shut it down from bios or post or whenever, it will turn off, wait a few seconds, then turn on. It will not stay off.

So I took the motherboard out of the case and put it on its box. I conencted the new crappy $25 500w (allegedly lol) psu. Nothing else was connected just CPU psu and ram. It didn't work, start button did nothing. I just kept trying by disconnecting and reconnecting the power to the psu out of frustration, and about the 6th time it suddenly worked and started booting and flashing q codes. wtf. The only thing I changed taking it out of the case was loosen the 4 screws on the cpu cooler block about a quarter turn each. They seem to be barely hanging on now, but any tighter bends the motherboard.

So I put it back in the case, connected the old psu, and it started. I progressively connected each extra thing testing each time, and everything worked with no problems. So now im installing the drivers and stuff from the disc in windows. I haven't put the pcie usb3 card in, part of me thinks its trying to kill everything and it just cant quite kill this rampage v, but the motherboard takes a while to recover and work properly again lol.

Whats going on with this thing?

Whats going on with this thing?

I don't man. I have been through the same thing. When you change the memory setting or so, it will go through a few reboots just like what you describe. No, putting it back the original setting won't fix it immediately. The board will still go through a few reboots; after that it seems fine again. It seems this is the way it is.

frostedsquid wrote:
I decided to reconnect the remaining things such as the oc module and BD drive to use the driver disc. I also put the pcie USB3 card in.

frostedsquid wrote:

So I put it back in the case, connected the old psu, and it started. I progressively connected each extra thing testing each time, and everything worked with no problems. So now im installing the drivers and stuff from the disc in windows. I haven't put the pcie usb3 card in, part of me thinks its trying to kill everything and it just cant quite kill this rampage v, but the motherboard takes a while to recover and work properly again lol.

The common denominator seems to be the PCIe USB 3 card. Sounds like that's causing the conflict with the other hardware. The Rampage V Extreme has a totla of 14 USB 3.0 ports (10 at back, 4 at mid-board) so you shouldn't need it.

AdamC
Level 10
Haha I said this motherboard has a mind of its own a couple times. It seems the motherboard has some build in automation or training and required to rebooting itself a few times, if you have ever touch the BIOS settings somewhere.