cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary port not SATA 6?

ELZZZORRO
Level 7
Hi, I purchased the SSD Samsung 840 EVO 500gig and removed the 1TB HDD (secondary Drive of course). Only to find out that my SSD can not fully perform as the SATA port connected to is a 3Gb/s not 6Gb/s. Now what?? I can not connect to the primary SATA port as my 250 Gb 2m drive is in the way??? Any suggestions will be appreciated
42 REPLIES 42

hmscott
Level 12
ELZZZORRO wrote:
Hi, I purchased the SSD Samsung 840 EVO 500gig and removed the 1TB HDD (secondary Drive of course). Only to find out that my SSD can not fully perform as the SATA port connected to is a 3Gb/s not 6Gb/s. Now what?? I can not connect to the primary SATA port as my 250 Gb 2m drive is in the way??? Any suggestions will be appreciated

ELZZZORRO, it's a well known (now) feature of the G751, the 2nd bay is a SATA II connection. And, as you know the M.2 PCIE x4 SSD covers Bay 1 effectively blocking using the SATAIII port.

There are a couple of things you might try. I have posted them early, but so far noone has reported trying it 🙂

1) Get a M.2 PCIE x4 extension cable and put the M.2 PCIE x4 drive in the 2nd Bay, and then put your SATA III drive into Bay 1 - route the cable somehow...

2) Route a SATA III cable from Bay 1 to Bay 2, and use a 1.8" SSD, see link for suggested drives.

G751-JY sata connection question
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55610-G751-JY-sata-connection-question&p=462063&viewfull=1...

3) Use external drives on USB 3.0, but for right now the Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers aren't running at Superspeed, only at USB 2.0 Full Speed. There is a hack to install Intel USB 3.0 drivers from Windows 7, but it isn't working (so far, keep trying) on Windows 8.1 for the G751.

G751 - AC WLAN only at 7 MB per sec!?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55158-G751-AC-WLAN-only-at-7-MB-per-sec!&p=464477&viewfull...

ELZZZORRO, you are the one that posted the link to installing the Windows 7 Intel USB 3.0 drivers on Windows 8/8.1, have you tried it yet?

Please let us know what you work out 🙂

I was not getting the speeds from my Samsung 840 EVO installed on my secondary bay as is limited to SATA II. The 1st bay is occupied by the M.2PCIE drive and bracket. Therefore I made the decision to get a SATA III – SATA 3 Male to Female 5 wire 8 Inch Extension Cable and connect to the 1st bay SATA III port.

The only way to fit this SATA ext cable is by rooting the cable from underneath the bridge that holds the two SATA connectors, however it will not fit so I had to cut the surrounding rubber:

After, I just insulated with industrial electrical tape where I initially removed the SATA EXT Cable head rubber, placed the SSD on bracket and installed the other end to the SATA III port, tucked the cables as best I could.

I will probably be replacing the 8" SATA ext cable with a: 5" or 6" for better fit, however, with the 8" I never had to force or put any pressure when closing the back cover door.

Thanks, now I hope ASUS fixes the sound issues and I am all set.

swf

ELZZZORRO wrote:
I will probably be replacing the 8" SATA ext cable with a: 5" or 6" for better fit, however, with the 8" I never had to force or put any pressure when closing the back cover door.

Did you ever find a Shorter 5# or 6# cable?

I'm looking to do this myself at the moment and the shortest one I can find online is 11#

ELZZZORRO
Level 7
Thanks hmscott, I just wonder if I can invert the the SATA II and III. There is a screw that holds the plastics bridge that holds both SATA connectors. But I am afraid I am going to break something.

As far as the "USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller" issues with windows 8.1, I tried everything with no success.

ELZZZORRO wrote:
Thanks hmscott, I just wonder if I can invert the the SATA II and III. There is a screw that holds the plastics bridge that holds both SATA connectors. But I am afraid I am going to break something.

As far as the "USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller" issues with windows 8.1, I tried everything with no success.

ELZZZORRO, I thought the same thing, swap the connectors between bays, as previous models have had such a configuration, but the G751 is a space optimized G750 redesign, that puts the SATA connectors soldered directly to the motherboard, so they can't be swapped:

Too bad about the Intel drivers for USB hack not working on the G751... wonder what the hangup is? I am thinking the Windows 7 drivers used are the wrong ones for the hardware chips used in the G751, and there are several other driver packages for Windows 7 USB for different hardware chipssets, I wonder if another USB 3.0 package from Intel for another hardware chipset might work?

The G750 uses the C220, what does the G751 use?

escha
Level 7
i believe it is the way the pcb is printed - sata routes traced, probably can't do anything about it except for what hmscot suggests

ELZZZORRO
Level 7
Thanks, something to consider to who-ever is interested on purchasing the ASUS ROG G751JY gaming laptop. If you ever want to upgrade your secondary HDD for a SSD SATA III connection, ain't happening. Limited to SATA II.

Yes you might have just convinced me to wait for the next generation to upgrade. USB 3.0 works good on my G75VW as fast as the hard drives I put in them anyway. Your re route is a option for SATA 3 connection moving to the secondary location Asus should have caught this bottle neck. Shouldn't have to mod like this for current technology. And how do they not have USB 3.0 Right? They no longer give us a eSATA port so you would think that would have been a priority for them to get USB 3.0 right??
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro