cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GL551JM touchpad issues

OtZman
Level 7
Hi all,

I just got my new Asus GL551JM (I believe it is very similar to the G551). I swapped the regular HDD for an SSD and made a clean reinstall of Windows 8.1 (i.e., I did not use the factory image). I then proceeded to install any drivers that had not been automatically installed by downloading the appropriate files from the Asus support website.

I am now having issues with the touchpad. In general, it feels "sluggish" and as if it is not quite following my finger(s). It's hard to explain, but it is clear that the trackpad on my 4-year old low-end Asus laptop is snappier and more responsive.

Here's a very specific example of an issue I am having: If I make small circular movements with a finger in the top-right corner of the touchpad, the mouse cursor does not respond at all. If I make similar movements at the center of the touchpad, it does respond. The same goes for the top-left corner of the touchpad, and to some extent the edges as well. This happens for both versions of the driver available on Asus website, but not if I uninstall them---then the corners work.

So the drivers seem to be a contributing factor to the problems. The problem persists even if I disable the edge commands in the Asus software which comes with the mouse driver installation files. I haven't been able to find alternative drivers. If I don't have any drivers installed at all, genuinely useful commands like two-finger scrolling do not work.

Is this happening to anyone else? I'm thinking about the sluggishness general, and the issues with the corners in particular. Any ideas for how this can be solved? I want to make sure that this is not hardware related so that I don't have to send back the laptop.

I will try to install Windows 7 and see if the same problems are present.

Many thanks in advance,
OtZman
1 REPLY 1

OtZman
Level 7
As an update, I tried installing the Elantech drivers, which improved the corner problems slightly, but instead made two-finger scrolling work
extremely poorly. I also tried getting drivers straight from Synaptics's website. After a bit of fiddling, I managed to install them, but they didn't work; the touchpad seemed to behave as if no drivers were installed at all.

Sigh.

I also spoke with by brother who has another (new high-end) Asus laptop with Windows 8.1 (or 8, not quite sure). He has similar issues with the corners and general sluggishness.

It is beyond me how anyone could think it's a good idea to not have uniform behavior across the touchpad. It's enough to have buttons at the bottom of the touchpad. Having functions spread all around the corners and edges of the touchpad is just ridiculous, imo.