cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matrix 980 led indicator?

santz76
Level 8
Hello I just installed my second matrix 980, and upon booting up, the card I just purchased led indicator is between blue and green in color, maybe a teel, where as bottom card is blue, Both on idle. So I did fresh install of drivers and nothing, I turned off pc took out card and upon looking at cover for led indicator with no power out of the system, I noticed that it has a yellow tint to it where as first card is plain white, so not sure how this card has a yellow type finish where indicator is. The card works perfectly except the led indicator color being slightly off, my question is should I rma it or just let it be!!!! sorry for horrible pics but i believe u can tell difference!!! 45409454104540945409
148 REPLIES 148

kryptokatalyst
Level 7
I just receive 2 of these from Newegg.com and having the same problem. One blue, one green. I will be getting a replacement.

Crappy photos don't very well depict how obviously different the color is in real life.

Chino
Level 15
Hello.

When there is a light load the LED will glow blue which is normal. Now I'm not sure about the other GPU glowing green (Safe Mode). Give me some time and I will check for you.

Chino wrote:
Hello.

When there is a light load the LED will glow blue which is normal. Now I'm not sure about the other GPU glowing green (Safe Mode). Give me some time and I will check for you.

The LEDs themselves are glowing blue. The problem is the opaque panel the LEDs light up. On the good card (powered off) it's a very slight off white as it should be, but on the other card (also while powered off) it has a very yellowish tint. Due to the yellowish tint of the opaque panel, the light looks green.

As an addition test I did the following. With the cards out of the computer I shined a single white led down into the opaque panel. On the card that displays blue at idle, the opaque panel lights up with a slightly off-white glow. On the card that displays green at idle the opaque panel glows yellow. So the opaque panel (behind the ROG logo) is the problem. Yellow panel + blue lights = green ROG logo.

NOTE: As santz76 mentioned, it's not the green color like what is displayed in safe mode, but rather a turquoise green color.

Another note: My cards are sequential serial numbers.

Side note I purchased first one December 19th and second on January 9th, dam sure hope replacement is does not have same issue!!!

santz76
Level 8
Ya I rma'd mine from newegg I took my card out and noticed when the led indicator panel with no power had a yellow tint to it, and my first one was solid white, so you could tell they were both blue but one with yellow tint was coming off as a teal color, it drove me nuts lol!!! But now unfortunatly newegg is out of stock:( as of today but my rma will arrive at there location on Monday so hopefully will be back in stock then, by the way I checked with safe mode and this was not the case!!

kryptokatalyst
Level 7
I spoke with Newegg support and since the item is not in stock they would not do an advanced RMA. I'm inclined to keep this one until I have another in my hands. Due to limited stock I don't want to get in a situation where I send the card back to Newegg and then wait on their stock to replenish only to find out they won't be getting anymore. In such a case I'd be stuck with 1 card and that doesn't do me any good.

If Newegg doesn't have more tomorrow I am going to submit an advanced RMA with ASUS.

santz76
Level 8
now I'm thinking prob should have done the same with asus, but rog on Facebook messaged me and said north americe would get more end of January. If not you can order from amazon as well but will ship between 22 and 27 days so I'll be patient

santz76 wrote:
now I'm thinking prob should have done the same with asus, but rog on Facebook messaged me and said north americe would get more end of January. If not you can order from amazon as well but will ship between 22 and 27 days so I'll be patient

Thanks for pointing out that Amazon info. Very encouraging to see that more of these are shipping out to retailers; I absolutely love these cards.

santz76
Level 8
Ya me too, just got my refund today 😞 little sad I have to wait for sli ing these bad boys!!! What sucks is when I did do rma with newegg they were still in stock!!! So i monitored all weekend then of course on Sunday they were all gone, so now I have the joy to check every 5 minutes to see if they are in stock!!!!