Thread: G20 Sound Issue

New ROGer Array

G20 Sound Issue

Hello All,

I bought my G20AJ mid December and then went overseas for vacation. I've been back for a week now and have been enjoying my computer very much. I have, however, encounter a problem with my sound. Whenever I try to see a video, form youtube or a movie, or even when on team speak, the sound comes out in slow motion. The videos on youtube seems to be a bit on slow motion as well. All the voices come off as if they had a slow motion effect on them and its impossible to understand. I have to do a restart on the computer to fix the issue. If I do a power off and powering back on, it will not fix it...only a restart does. I am using an ASUS VN247 monitor and the sound is coming off from the monitor speakers. I dont have external speakers to try, my usb headset however gives no issues at all. My monitor is connected with a HDMI cable only.

I have the latest bios 0601. I am not sure if this is a windows 8 issue or if its my monitor or my g20. Any advice is appreciated.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm having the exact same issue.

It usually happens when to me when I start your computer after it's been off for a while.
    It's not your monitor since this happens to me when it's hooked up to a TV or another monitor as well.

New ROGer Array

Great post.

My experience has basically been the exact same as yours capiri. Bought my R20AJ in December, everything was working great but then yesterday I encountered the garbled sound effects. Basically any music or sound effects plays at what seems like 1/4 normal speed, so you can't make out what people are saying... I believe there was a Star Trek episode that had this same audio effect .

At first I thought it was a glitch in the game I was playing but then noticed all my videos were affected too. I was praying it wasn't my TV audio or a problem with my sound card. So went through the routine of checking sound on TV with different computer, passed test (whew) and finally found this thread via google search. The restart worked like a charm THANKS! But after complete shutdown same problem happened again like you described.

But I played around with the System settings and it seems to have resolved it (so far). So here is what worked for me:

1. Right click the windows icon in lower left taskbar menu
    2. Select SYSTEM
    3. Click DEVICE MANAGER on top-left corner of window
    4. Click SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS (towards bottom of list) which opens up another list:
    On my list there are 4 controllers (High Definition Audio Device, Intel(R) Display Audio, NVIDIA High Definition Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device)
    5. Double-Click each one to open up Properties
    6. Select DRIVER tab and then click on ROLL BACK DRIVER (do this for each one)
    * Note, some are not selectable, just ignore those and move on. For me, I believe only 2 of the drivers could be rolled back.

Test it out with hard shutdown and startup. Worked for me, hopefully helps others.

One of the problems I have found with this system is that when you install the latest audio/video drivers, it tends to make the system do weird things. So my advice is to make frequent restore points on Win 8, and if in serious trouble just reset the whole system back to original factory settings (the computer comes with that ability).

Lastly, do you guys find that startup times vary? Certain times the PC will load crazy fast in like 5secs while others it takes a minute. Not sure if it gets confused on using SSD or not. And where can you find the info on the SSD in device manager, because I only see one drive listed under Disk Drive.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut View Post

Lastly, do you guys find that startup times vary? Certain times the PC will load crazy fast in like 5secs while others it takes a minute. Not sure if it gets confused on using SSD or not. And where can you find the info on the SSD in device manager, because I only see one drive listed under Disk Drive.
    The system is supposed to boot in 15 secs with quick startup enabled, but the first startup of the day would normally take around a minute. One thing i noticed that it only boots up slowly when it is cold, similar to the fan issue i was having with this system, i suspect that the inconsistent startup time (or even the slow video) is somewhat temperature related.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by chrimen View Post
    I'm having the exact same issue.

It usually happens when to me when I start your computer after it's been off for a while.
    It's not your monitor since this happens to me when it's hooked up to a TV or another monitor as well.
    I have not had this issue so far, although I *did* totall reload Windows on it and only loaded the Asus drivers needed. (and skipped crap like the VirtuWatt stuff)

How are your speakers connected - the analog audio out or thru the displayport or HDMI connectors?

New ROGer Array

Follow-up:

Well you can ignore my 'fix' as it only temporarily worked for one day yesterday.

Started up my PC about 10 minutes ago (booted up very quick in like 8 secs) but encountered the dreaded slo-mo-sound problem AGAIN!

My PC is stationed about 4 feet from my living room window and we have been having -20 Celsius weather as of late, so maybe temperature may be a factor although when I touch my PC case it isn't cold to the touch at all.

At this point I guess I will be continuing the RESTART method until someone else chimes in with a permanent solution.

New ROGer Array

I no longer have this issue. Two things to point out.

1. It seems that shutting down completely (not the fast boot up option) by right clicking on windows icon on the start bar>shut down or sign out>shut down seems to fix the issue.

2. On my initial post I was using audio from the speakers on the ASUS monitor I bought thru HDMI. Eventually I bought a set of speakers and I have not encounter this problem again.

Hope that helps.