cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh install of Win7 on 3 3TB in RAID 5 - BIOS settings?

Fish
Level 7
I appreciate the help.

I'm running the Crosshair V Formula-Z and the BIOS loaded is newer than the User Guide so I'm a little lost here.

I am attempting to run 3 WD-3TB drives in a RAID 5 configuration as the boot drive. I have the RAID driver on a USB drive to install during the OS install which will be Windows 7 Pro OEM on a disc. I have set the SATA ports 1-4 to RAID and ports 5,6 to IDE (instructed by the User Guide). What I am reading online is that they need to be set to AHCI, I think. Can anyone explain what the settings should be set to? Also, the User Guide mentions the AMD Option ROM utility. Following the instructions as written, I am unable to access it. Any ideas how I should set this up?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Fish
Level 7
Problem partially solved - the real issue is Crosshair V Formula Z has a bug that can prevent the option ROM utility from running.

Under the BIOS Advanced Tab in SATA Configuration, both Ports 1-4 and Ports 5-6 must be set to RAID. reboot and the ctrl + F during Post will work to get in. Any other setting prevents it from starting.

After setting up the RAID configuration, go back in and set 1-4 to RAID and 5-6 to IDE (assuming that is what you want). I loaded the RAID driver on a CD in my 2nd drive and had no issue installing Windows.

Fish
Level 7
OK, so that worked to set up a RAID config but now I am into the issue where windows only allows the 2 TB partition so I'm loosing 4 TB of my array
. Can anyone help me to overcome this? I have read the tutorial by HiVisMan for setting up Raid:

http://rog.asus.com/77402012/rampage-motherboards/what-is-raid-setup-guide/?tp=1

Any help is greatly appreciated!