cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on which MOBO to use.

Sephymuffins
Level 7
Hey all,

My last topic on here was a total downer, as I wrote here only due to the fact that my old Z87-PRO was DOA.

I'm rebuilding my computer (or, a friend of mine is, with me being moral support in the background!), and I am TOTALLY confused as to what mobo to get. I was leaning towards the ASUS Maximus VII Hero but now I have people yelling at me, telling me other boards are fare superior!

And I quote:
Z97-Deluxe: DIGI+ 16-phase
Z97-PRO: DIGI+ 12-phase
all ROG VII: DIGI+ 8+2-phase

I have a h80i and my CPU: i7 4770k

Clearly, I want something that will be compatible. I read recently that people had issues booting their PC up once the Maximus VII was installed because apparently the cooling (h80i) wasn't compatible with that specific board?

I just want something that is going to give me decent power with great (and simple) overclocking options. I won't overclock it immediately, but I want the option to be there and for it to be semi-simple.

Halp.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello Sephymuffins

I remember your last thread, you were getting code 00 and it seems it was your motherboard. Don't shy away from ROG motherboards just because you got a faulty one, it happens and it doesn't happen with just asus boards. All ROG boards are compatible with the h80i cpu cooler.

I don't know who is yelling at you but in my opinion it doesn't get any better than ROG. The maximus vii hero is a great board for the price. If you want better sound go with the formula.

Overclocking these boards is easy, infact you can overclock your cpu with one click of a button in the bios but its best to do it manually which is still easy.

The maximus vii hero is a great choice for you.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Sephymuffins

I remember your last thread, you were getting code 00 and it seems it was your motherboard. Don't shy away from ROG motherboards just because you got a faulty one, it happens and it doesn't happen with just asus boards. All ROG boards are compatible with the h80i cpu cooler.

I don't know who is yelling at you but in my opinion it doesn't get any better than ROG. The maximus vii hero is a great board for the price. If you want better sound go with the formula.

Overclocking these boards is easy, infact you can overclock your cpu with one click of a button in the bios but its best to do it manually which is still easy.

The maximus vii hero is a great choice for you.

You, my sir, make this forum magnificent. Thank you so much for your help!

The people that are yelling at me are people in this Facebook group I joined, where I asked which mobo I should buy - they were saying that it's all about appearances with that ROG mobo. That there are better ones? Is the Forumla only "better" due to the audio?

Nate152
The formula does have better sound as it has Supreme FX audio. If you go with the hero VII the supreme fx is the only big feature you will miss out on.

ROG boards are stylish and look tough but the big difference with rog boards and other boards is ROG boards have the UEFI bios. Sure there are other good boards out there, but ROG is the best.

Have a read through this and it's with your cpu too.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_maximus_vii_hero_review/5

EDIT: My mistake I see the hero VII does have the supreme fx audio.

Nate152 wrote:
The formula does have better sound as it has Supreme FX audio. If you go with the hero VII the supreme fx is the only big feature you will miss out on.

ROG boards are stylish and look tough but the big difference with rog boards and other boards is ROG boards have the UEFI bios. Sure there are other good boards out there, but ROG is the best.

Have a read through this and it's with your cpu too.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_maximus_vii_hero_review/5

EDIT: My mistake I see the hero does have the supreme fx audio.

Whoa, whoa, wait what? I can superclock my CPU up to 4.9? Or did I misread that article you sent...

I am a complete newb when it comes to overclocking, so when the day comes I'll probably have to Youtube it or something. Luls.

Edit: Yeah, I just realized that as well. If that was the only difference, I'm still morbidly curious as to why the Formula is a lot more expensive. They seems to be almost the same MOBO.

Nate152
The formula has the option to liquid cool the VRM's if you have a custom liquid cooling kit. And to get 4.9GHz on a 4770k you're going to need some serious cooling. 4.4GHz - 4.6GHz will be more realistic with the 4770k but it does show the hero vii's potential.