cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLeaning the G751

th3l34sh
Level 7
Hey guys this question may seem a bit silly, but what are you guys using to clean the top lid of your G751? I'm talking about that rubberized soft-touch finish.

Because that thing collects oily smudges like crazy and cleaning with water seems to have no effect.

I'm kind of reluctant to use anything stronger without any suggestions because I fear I may end up damaging that coating permanently(if the oil hasn't already).
23 REPLIES 23

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
I use a spray or two of screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth. (Your G751 should come with a small black microfiber cloth of its own)

Just be careful when wiping the keyboard and don't press the steam button, because that will boot up the machine. (Stupid idea, but whatever.)

th3l34sh
Level 7
I understand that you recommend screen cleaner for the keyboard as well as the lid? Because both these surfaces have different textures and I'm more concerned towards the lid area as the keyboard area cleans with water just fine.
Thanks

Edit: Can you recommend a brand as well?

Most screen cleaners are the same stuff on the inside, but spending a bit extra for the better stuff doesn't hurt.

The screen REQUIRES screen cleaner, the back lid (Metal + Soft Touch) as well as the Keyboard (All Soft Touch) can be cleaned with a spritz of water or screen cleaner + microfiber cloth.

th3l34sh
Level 7
Hey so I finally got around to looking up some screen cleaners online and I've found that some are alcohol based while others claim that they are alcohol free. Can you tell which one should I go for?

Personally I am a fan of plain distilled water (lightly) applied with a misting spray bottle.
--
bc

NitroX
Level 10
+1 for the distiller water. See more info about how I usually clean the screen with only distilled water, over here (in the middle of the post): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56645-notebook-care-dust-filters-screen-cleaning-product&p...

NitroX wrote:
+1 for the distiller water. See more info about how I usually clean the screen with only distilled water, over here (in the middle of the post): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56645-notebook-care-dust-filters-screen-cleaning-product&p...

Hey! Thanks for your advice. But I wasn't looking for cleaners to clean the screen. As mentioned in the OP I needed some advice for cleaning the top lid that has rubberized finish. Distilled water has zero effect there.

BRS suggested use a screen cleaner on the lid, that's why I followed up with a screen cleaner question.

So if you could give me some advice on cleaning the lid, that'd be awesome!

Thanks

NitroX
Level 10
Oh, I'm sorry. I went too quick through the topic and missed the main part :)). You should use some screen cleaner that is also antistatic. Something like this (check it's specifications) http://endustforelectronics.com/11292.php . But we can't really offer a strong advice because there are different products on the market in each different country. So, the best thing is to find someone from your zone and ask him what he uses, or just search on the online shops and see what anti-static cleaner you can find.

Exostenza
Level 9
The best thing to clean the rubberized surface of the top and where your palms rest are isopropyl alcohol pads you can get 100 for like 2 bucks at your pharmacy. They work like a bloody charm. They also work a treat on taking off thermal paste.

Just NEVER touch your screen with them 🙂