cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with G751 Trackpad Button Problem in FPS Games

BeHoLi
Level 7
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I recently purchased a new G751JY-DS71 as an upgrade for my old G75VW. I'm really loving my new laptop, but I'm experiencing a problem in FPS games like PlanetSide 2 and Battlefield 4. When I try to hold down the right mouse button (to aim) and fire, I can't (it won't fire, as if the left mouse button isn't registering while the right is held down). This is a serious buzzkill, as I like my FPS games, and had no such issues with my G75. I've searched the web for a solution, but haven't been able to find anything that works. I've tried updating the trackpad driver to the latest on ASUS's support site, I've tried disabling Touchpad Delay in Windows 8.1, tweaking with in-game settings, all to no avail.

Is anyone else having this issue, or can anyone please offer any advice? Thanks much.
10 REPLIES 10

sk3tch
Level 7
Not necessarily a "solution" - but I don't use the trackpad for gaming. I plug in a USB mouse and set the trackpad to disable itself when a USB mouse is detected - problem solved. The trackpad is definitely something that leaves a bit to be desired on this laptop.
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

sk3tch wrote:
Not necessarily a "solution" - but I don't use the trackpad for gaming. I plug in a USB mouse and set the trackpad to disable itself when a USB mouse is detected - problem solved. The trackpad is definitely something that leaves a bit to be desired on this laptop.

Thanks for the quick reply Sk3tch. That is certainly a workaround, which I have been employing. Unfortunately it undermines the years of experience I've accrued with FPS gaming on a trackpad.. lol. And certainly this shouldn't be an issue. I'm starting to suspect it has something to do with the Elan trackpad driver..

Anyone else have any thoughts?

sk3tch
Level 7
Have you tried removing or disabling all of the ASUS Smart Gesture crap? That was giving me headaches just when I was setting up the laptop...ha.
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

sk3tch wrote:
Have you tried removing or disabling all of the ASUS Smart Gesture crap? That was giving me headaches just when I was setting up the laptop...ha.

I haven't tried this yet. I am having trouble finding a way to uninstall it. It's not listed under programs and features.. and the ASUS website states it isn't possible =/

BeHoLi wrote:
I haven't tried this yet. I am having trouble finding a way to uninstall it. It's not listed under programs and features.. and the ASUS website states it isn't possible =/

Yeah - I couldn't figure it out, either. It may be built into the Elan driver. I just unchecked every box (and like I said in my earlier post) turned on the option where it shuts off the touchpad when a USB mouse is detected.

Give that a try and see if it helps in-game.

Unfortunately now I can't scroll with the trackpad.. -_-

BeHoLi wrote:
Unfortunately now I can't scroll with the trackpad.. -_-

Did you try to just disable ASUS Smart Gesture first?? I was going to remove it, but after I could not find an obvious way to do so, I decided just to keep it and disable it (mostly). It looks like it's too key to the touchpads functionality to remove...and it looks like you're finding that out now. 🙂

sk3tch wrote:
Did you try to just disable ASUS Smart Gesture first?? I was going to remove it, but after I could not find an obvious way to do so, I decided just to keep it and disable it (mostly). It looks like it's too key to the touchpads functionality to remove...and it looks like you're finding that out now. 🙂

I tried to figure it out, but none of the options listed in the Smart Gesture software fixed my problem, and I haven't found a way to uninstall Smart Gesture without uninstalling the Elan driver. If you do happen to figure out a way, please let me know!

I just tried reinstalling a generic version of the Elan driver and it gave me a BSOD and I nearly had a heart attack figuring out how to get my brand new laptop to boot again for like 30 minutes.. -_- I had to do a system restore, and lost a couple gigs of downloaded game.

I'm gonna call this a solution for now and live without being able to scroll so that I can fire while aiming in my FPS games.. It's a small price to pay, but it is rather annoying, as I can say with little doubt now that this is an issue with the Elan driver or ASUS Smart Gesture.. I really hope they update the driver to fix this problem.:confused:

BeHoLi
Level 7
UPDATE: I have solved the problem!

I uninstalled the Elan Touchpad driver in Device Manager and rebooted. While it appears the driver came back in Device Manager, ASUS Smart Gestures has disappeared from the notifications area, and I am now able to click the left mouse button while holding down the right. Hooray! Thanks much for the tips that led to a solution Sk3tch!