cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75-VX CPU overheating - New fans not working

efnetjunkie
Level 7
Hey everyone, I want to start off by saying that I apologize if this is the incorrect thread to post such issues. Im not a super duper forums guy but I do like the fact there is a forum just for owners like us.

Anywho, I've been at my wits end with my G75VX the passed 3 weeks. Now usually I can fix issues myself by googling my life away and then cramming my head into ebay replacement purchases. But not this time.. My laptop recently started shutting off on me randomly. Windows runs fine, nothing software related. flip my laptop over and low and behold its REALLY hot to the touch. So i let it cool down and attempted to boot it again while looking at my fans. My CPU fan is running but my GPU fan is NOT. SO, I dissasemble, clean fans. reseat thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. reassembled. nothing. and now NONE of the fans work. ive checked cables, connectors, everything.
So I say screw it and buy two new fans and also a new heatsink for the CPU assuming maybe it might be an issue also... disassemble again with a smile on my face going "oh yea i got this, back to gaming". Nope... New fans do not spin... CPU still overheating and mean really hot, like 1-2 minutes and it hurts to touch level. so i take it apart again.. take out CPU, check for any burn marks, nothing. no gold pins missing. no thermal paste in bad no no zones, looks great, air dust, pop in the cpu, relatch, reseat new thermal paste again, reassemble the mobo back into the chasis, check BOTH fan connectors (looking in them, cleaning with air duster on both ends for male/female) and reassemble, fans still dont work... yet laptop boots up fine. windows login screen and all. no hiccups. just overheats within 1-2 minutes, but will not shut down until about 4-5 minutes. the heat is definitely centralized in the cpu area and very pin point. Has anyone had this issue or have any opinions/thoughts/lecture/comments/ideas?

http://i.imgur.com/PsHRkKv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WmM5eEX.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: okay, i waited longer than usual and realized the fans are smart enabled. they did kick in after booting up for a little bit.. but it didnt help at all with the heating issue on the CPU. does this mean my cpu might actually be bad?
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
I would suggest Hwinfo64 run sensor only and you can see your fan speeds and CPU and GPU temps. From what you are saying your pasting is suspect or something is blocking the air flow across your heat sink fins
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

efnetjunkie
Level 7
okay ill download that today and post results, sorry for such a late reply, thanks for helping. also, do you mean the fins as in, the area behind the fans? or the gold pipes?

B-RAD
Level 7
efnetjunkie I have had the exact same problem with the exact same pc model and have tried the exact same things you have. At first it was fan and filter cleaning with No success I pulled both my cpu and gpu and repasted them with Antec formula 7 nano diamond paste . This did drop the temps but not enough. I have checked connections and fans and it seems to me like my gpu fan is not working as it should either. If you find a fix to this please post what you found the problem to be as I will do the same thanks.