cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reinstall Windows 7 64bits ?

Retired
Not applicable
Hi all,

I got a newbie question. I didn't get a DVD/CD to reinstall the system on my G74. I know the reinstall system is a part of the notebook (on a hidden partition), how can I reinstall my system then ?

There is a button / menu I should push/go ?

Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

JRd1st
Level 12
If you want to do a restore I can't help you because the first thing I did was to reformat the HDD, get rid of the hidden restore partition, and clean install windows. But I think f9 at the POST screen is supposed to take you into ASUS recovery.

But if you want to Clean Install Windows 7 Home Premium, go HERE and download the Windows 7 iso, burn it to a DVD, and you're almost all ready. That post has most of the drivers you need so download them and put them on your other drive or a flash drive.

Let your notebook reboot with the DVD you just burned (you may have to set boot priority in the BIOS to 1st - dvd, 2nd - HDD), and follow directions. (I would get rid of the Restore Partition, too.)

Once you have windows installed you need to install the chipset drivers, then all the rest - nVidia Graphics, WLAN, LAN, Realtek HD Audio, Touchpad, USB 3.0, mouse if applicable, etc, until you have no more unknown devices in Device Manager.

I'll be around part of today if you need advice. Good luck!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
Here is a page that discusses how to perform an ASUS Factory Restore: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4162-restore-an-asus-netbook-to-factory-settings

You can do the Factory Restore from the DVD's you create or just hit F9 at the ASUS splash screen to launch it from the hidden ASUS partition. The result will be Windows 7 and all the pre-installed ASUS programs will be installed, just as it was when it came out of the box.

NOTE: If you want to eliiminate the ASUS bloatware, JR's clean Windows 7 installation is the way to go....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
Great, thanks a lot !!

gnrpatience
Level 7
Hello,

I want to restore my Asus G73S by using the Asus restore utility F9, I have four partitions:
C:(Windows 7 Installed, Primary Partition),
D:(Logical Drive where i have all of my Data),
E: Primary Partition and some Data
F:Primary Partition Empty Partition

When pressing F9 it gaves me 3 options to reinstall Windows
Reinstall Windows Primary Partition,
Reinstall windows Entire HD
Reinstall Windows Entire HD with Two Partitions

If i choose First option will only format C: drive ? I dont want to lose all my personal data.
What will do each option ?

Thanks!

gnrpatience wrote:
Hello,

I want to restore my Asus G73S by using the Asus restore utility F9, I have four partitions:
C:(Windows 7 Installed, Primary Partition),
D:(Logical Drive where i have all of my Data),
E: Primary Partition and some Data
F:Primary Partition Empty Partition

When pressing F9 it gaves me 3 options to reinstall Windows
Reinstall Windows Primary Partition,
Reinstall windows Entire HD
Reinstall Windows Entire HD with Two Partitions

If i choose First option will only format C: drive ? I dont want to lose all my personal data.
What will do each option ?

Thanks!

Thanks.

So first option wont touch any other drive than C: ? D:, E:, F: Will remain the same.
Second option will format all drives and allocate all space into C: drive ?
Third Option Wwill format all drives and reinstall windows into C: drive and will create the other three partitions d:, e: f: ?

Many Thanks!

gnrpatience wrote:
Thanks.

So first option wont touch any other drive than C: ? D:, E:, F: Will remain the same.
Second option will format all drives and allocate all space into C: drive ?
Third Option Wwill format all drives and reinstall windows into C: drive and will create the other three partitions d:, e: f: ?

Many Thanks!

Not quite.

• Option 1: Uses only your current primary partition (C) for Windows
  • Option 2: Uses all hard drive space after the recovery partition, including (C) and any other partitions you have on that hard drive
  • Option 3: Also uses all the hard drive space after the recovery partition, again overwriting all partitions on that hard drive. But it divides the space into one partition for Windows and one for data.

None of the options does anything at all to your secondary hard drive. Only the primary hard disk (the one that currently has Windows on it) it used by the factory restore.

Thanks for the reply!

gnrpatience wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

Just keep in mind that "drives," as designated by drive letters (C, D, E, etc.) is not synonymous with "hard drives." It's important to understand WHERE your lettered drives (partitions) are physically located, i.e., which hard disk they are on. You and I might both have a (D) partition, for example, but yours might be on your primary hard disk, right after the (C) partition, while mine might be on my second hard disk.

Sometimes people doing the factory restore don't realize this and assume that (C) is their whole primary hard disk. If they select Option 2 or 3 in the factory restore, they accidentally wipe out other partitions that they didn't realize reside on that same hard disk with (C).

Though this sounds pretty basic to those who already understand this stuff, lots of people don't, and they easily make the mistake (in factory restores and new Windows installs) of unknowingly deleting/overwriting the wrong partitions. 😞

xeromist
Yes, the first option is just for windows the second wipes everything and only installs windows and the last wipes everything and also gives you a data drive.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…