cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Done, This Computer is Garbage (G20AJ)

edmak1804
Level 7
As noted in an earlier post I already exchanged my tower once (G20AJ-B09) because of a failed graphics card. I applied the new bios updates several days ago with no problem. Then today I go to turn my computer on, after running a windows update (which took almost 30 mins and seem to hang) I had a BSOD. After attempting safe mode, safe mode with networking etc all that default stuff (which is work unto itself because of the speed at which Windows 8 tries to boot, skipping the safe mode menu)
I attempted 4 different system restores, all failed AFTER 30-40 mins of restoring (It acts like I dont have admin access or that an antivirus is blocking the restore... ironic because all i have is windows defender and I cant get into windows any way at all.

Im just so dam fed up, I spent 10 hours setting up my first tower only to throw it away, then to repeat the process getting all my games installed agian. Now this tower takes a big s**** on me and I cant do anything besides a full system wipe (which is god dam pointless, I might as well exchange it for something completely new)

Why ASUS! I purchased 2 tablets and 2 diff gaming laptops in the past (over 5k in stuff alone plus the 1350 for this new tower)
I think i hate this brand now... Im kinda venting, but also just enraged at the WORK ive had to put into whats supposed to be a plug n play machine.
16 REPLIES 16

hori
Level 7
I feel your pain, same prob ... call the 1-800 tech number and tell them what you posted here. It def a random bios issue.

chrimen
Level 7
Hi Ed, I also felt your pain back when I first got it.

Here is what I did to stop the BSOD from happening.
I rolled back the Nvidia drivers. This helped. Then you make sure all windows updates are installed and pending. Then you can install the latest drivers and that should fix it.

I also did windows reinstall after the above fix (this was because I thought the breath effect wasn't working, but it actually was). This time I logged on went through the sign on process. I then installed all of the windows updates. I restarted to make sure all of the updates were installed. I restarted one more time just to be on the safe side. Once I was sure all windows updates were installed I updated the Nvidia drivers.

There seems to be an issue with one of the windows updates and the Nvidia drivers for this card.

I have had no BSOD since then.

Hope I could be of help. Good luck.

@chrimen, Hey sorry i failed to mention in my post (was basically angry typing on three diff forums and an email) I cannot get into windows at all, all forms up bootups or safe modes fail. All my system restores failed (tried the 3 save points i had). All system attempts and 'fixing' the problem hang, and eventually just lead to a black screen. Based on the .5 seconds i can see the error message on the BSOD, it appears to be an NVIDIA driver issue (even stranger because my last update was probably 5-7 days ago right after I first got it, meaning a windows update impacted the drivers somehow)

Normally the solution would be to boot into safe mode, delete the problem file out of the system32 folder and copy over the 'current' one from your nvidia/drivers folder. But again I cannot get into windows at all. So before i left for work today (I work overnights at my office) I performed system 'refresh' which is another garbage option because its going to literally delete the fricken terabyte of games ive spent a week installing and downloading.
As fort he computer recommendation Im stuck with offerings at best-buy due to a combination of having used over 600 dollars in store credit / gift cards and another 500 on my BBY credit card (try to only use 25% of available credit at a time).

Based on that I may go with a simpler ASUS tower (with a comparable CPU) then add in an extra HDD and update the video card (maybe go with a 970 right off the bat)

I'm still incredibly angry, I have this weekend to decide if I want to exchange/return or stick with it (stupid 15 day return policy since I bought it right after the new year)

toronto699
Level 13

hori
Level 7
edmack
mine was similar to yours wouldn`t do anything after bsod, system restore no go... This what I did to bring it back.
Shut it down , comp must be off
unplug the hdmi from the nvidia and plug in the intel hdmi.. you cannot hot swap the graphic cards as it must be off.
restart the comp and should be back to windows.. remember you cannot swap video cards outputs when the comp is running you will get black screen.

hope this helps you get back to windows as it did mine.

Tried that as well (was familiar with the method from my first system taking a dump on me)

When i left for work i ran a full system refresh, so basically when i get back home in the morning after a 12 hour shift ill be the right balance of exhausted and pissed off to begin re installing everything again.. for like the 3rd time in 2 weeks.

Worst part, i was literally going to backup all my steam installs this weekend (only half of my games are backed up atm) in case something happened (along with origin game folders, there's a trick to using them as backups, schedule download, pause, close origin, paste the backup, launch origin, resume download, it verifies the files, done.)

edmak1804 wrote:
Tried that as well (was familiar with the method from my first system taking a dump on me)

When i left for work i ran a full system refresh, so basically when i get back home in the morning after a 12 hour shift ill be the right balance of exhausted and pissed off to begin re installing everything again.. for like the 3rd time in 2 weeks.

Worst part, i was literally going to backup all my steam installs this weekend (only half of my games are backed up atm) in case something happened (along with origin game folders, there's a trick to using them as backups, schedule download, pause, close origin, paste the backup, launch origin, resume download, it verifies the files, done.)

So you can't load even when using the Intel GPU? Just like hori said, that's how I got mine out of the BSOD situation.

I assume you installed all the steam games in the data drive. If you did then once you're up and running all you have to do is reinstall steam and then steam will just configure itself to run the games that are installed in the data drive.

You can also use Game Save Manager to create back ups of your saved games since those are probably in the my documents folder in the C drive.

Bodycount69
Level 9
Wish I never got My G20 So sad ASUS what junk !!!!! Never again buying a tower from them again !
Asus ROG PG348Q Black 34" 3440 x 1440, 100Hz Curved IPS G-Sync 21:9 WQHD Gaming Monitor
2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition in SLI

edmak1804
Level 7
Sorry for late reply. After attempting 3-4 different restore points (I cant remember how many I had) and each time failing with a notification I 'didn't have access' or permissions. Finally giving up I used to 'Refresh' option. Afterwards the PC booted into safe mode (on my NVIDIA card weirdly enough, not the Intel output) As a side note i tried all recovery options on BOTH outputs until for some reason this worked.
My PC did its 'sync' with my Microsoft Live login and I ended up back on my desktop, now Refresh was supposed to put a .doc of some sort to list programs uninstalled but I did not find it.

Now as for program loss, EVERYTHING installed under EA Origin and Ubisofts Uplay service was gone (folders empty) I was lucky and as another poser noted, my Steam library was fine, I just had to 'run' the program once, it verified installation and worked fine.

Also like 4 random games I manually installed (Either GoG service or off CDs) also were deleted.

So as suggested I uninstalled NVIDIA (but i did not rollback, I started fresh, uninstall, delete folder, restart into intel, install last driver) then was forced to install windows updates (Made me a little mad, but thank god during all this i backed up EVERYTHING)

Its been running fine ever since, but im still upset at the whole situation, but will likely upgrade to the 900 series in the rebuild guide from this forum in June/July