cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First overclock done! Is there room for improvement?

tom2656
Level 7
Hi, I just finished overclocking my GPU and CPU for the first time, and I am surprised at how easy it was compared to my expectations.

I have an i5 4690k currently clocked at 4690MHz at 1.267V and I was wondering whether I am safe to improve it further or not. From what I've read, the higher the voltage, the lower the lifespan of the CPU right?

I don't want to decrease the lifespan of my new cpu much more if I can help it but I was wondering if there could be some clarification on what kinds of voltage thresholds will make a big difference to the lifespan of my cpu. If I'm already in the red zone, let me know and I can tone it down also. Temperatures are not really concerning as far as I can tell. Running Aida64 I get up to 60C max.

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated,
Tom.
18 REPLIES 18

Nate152
Hello tom2656

That's a great overclock with low voltage and your temps are good too. If you can keep temps under control you can run it safely up to 1.40v.

You could try using ROG realbench, it's easier on your cpu and you might get lower temps using it vs aida64 which will allow you to overclock a little further.

You have room to push higher if you want.

Hi, thanks for your reply Nate 🙂

Wow that's great. I've read some places about people saying 1.3V was too much but I wasn't sure for my CPU in particular. I'll be sure to try ROG realbench and will continue overclocking tomorrow. I was only expecting about 4.2GHz before I read up on anything about overclocking, this is great! Can't believe I never did it with my past CPUs.

In that case, the place I stop overclocking will probably be determined by my temperatures, does about 75C load sound like a good place to stop?

Cheers.

Antronman
Level 10
80C should be the highest your CPU goes, 75C is a good temp to aim for 🙂
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Nate152
Well when you run stress tests your temps will always be high. What you want to go by is your gaming temps and you're right on, when gaming I don't like to see higher than 75c but of course the lower the better.

And yes you are correct, temperature controls how far you can overclock and it looks like you have a good overclocking cpu.

If you have temps in the 80's with realbench ,your gaming temps should still be fine. After getting your overclock set, open up your temp monitoring program and play a game and see where your temps are.

Alright got it, thanks both. Looking forward to see what speed I end up at 🙂

Nate152
You're welcome

Yeah post back and let us know what you end up with.

One thing, there is a point where your cpu will hit a wall and need a lot more voltage to hit the next 100MHz. That might happen around 4.9GHz.

Give ROG realbench a try, only run the stress test.

tom2656
Level 7
Just started overclocking again, and although I am very pleased with my results this far, I am quite worried about lifespan.

At the moment I am at 1.325V, 4.8GHz. Is this definitely safe? Its just almost everywhere I'm reading over 1.3V is too much. Sorry I'm kind of repeating a question that's already been answered, but lifespan is my priority. I'm a student and won't be able to afford a new cpu haha. Temps are max of 68C. I will be running adaptive voltage so that will probably help with the safety in that I won't be constantly at 1.325V right?

Thanks a lot 🙂

Edit: Also, it was about 0.06V just for the last 100MHz increase, is 100MHz worth the possible lifespan degrade that +0.06V would bring?

Nate152
Overclocking your cpu will degrade it faster over time. The more voltage, obviously the faster it will degrade. if you stay below 1.40v and below 75c, your cpu will last a long long time. It will be time for you to upgrade before you need another 4690k. At 1.325v I wouldn't be worried.

That is a very nice overclock for the 4690k and it seems you got a good one.

tom2656
Level 7
Okay understood. Thank you very much for your help, I think I'll be stopping at 4.8GHz, had to put it up to 1.328V as I was BSODing after 15 - 20 mins of ROG RealBench. Temps rarely spike to 70C so this is nice and comfortable.

Thanks again, over the moon with this performance increase, never expected to get almost 1GHz more than the out of the box turbo 😄