cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

240mm Radiator vs 280mm Radiator

KMandalore
Level 7
I'm curious about the Pros and Cons of the 2 Radiators as I currently have neither and am preparing to buy one of those two.
What are the draw back in performance and air pressure it's difficult to find solid information on the two as most of what I find
pertains to Closed loop systems in particular.

My Rig is as follows

Intel 4770k @4.0oc / 4.2oc / 4.4 oc. One touch oc all stable
16gb 8x2 1866 Mhz Corsair Dominator Pro
2x Gtx 780 Poseidon Platinum in Sli
250 Gb Samsung SSD
1tb Cavier Black WD
Rog Front Plate
LG Blue Ray Re/Writeable blah blah blah
Cooler maser Hyper Evo 212 after market cpu cooler.
850w Thermaltyke Smart Series
19 REPLIES 19

Antronman
Level 10
Well, as far as I am aware there is not a single HSP (high-static-pressure) 140mm fan. So, maybe you might get better performance with really nice fans on a 240mm radiator. Stock, the H110 outperforms the H100i. Actually, it outperforms both the H100i and H105 by a few degrees. If any fan could bridge that gab, it would be the Noctua NF-F12. But at that point, there is no difference in cost.

So I would get the Kraken x60 or H110.

It's a shame the Swiftech H320 isn't available in the US.

If you aren't in the US, get the Swiftech H320.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

I'm making a Custom loop. Not a closed loop. I need information about the draw backs of the Radiators in Conjuction with the fans for 240mm vs 280mm... Thanks for the reply though

It's a shame the Swiftech H320 isn't available in the US.

They're available in Canada at NCIX.com: http://www.ncix.com/detail/swiftech-h320-quiet-power-plug-and-play-b6-86340.htm
The reviews from owners are not good for the most part; apparently share the same reliability issues with the H120 & 220's. If ever Swiftech decides to expand the H220x http://www.ncix.com/detail/swiftech-h220-x-all-in-one-liquid-cooling-6b-93547.htm to H320x then would be the time to consider a 320mm. I own the H120x changing out the Swiftech fans for a pair of Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM 120mm Fans, the TIM for Arctic MX-4 and it just simply rocks-cannot hear my PC running at all and fan profile is set to "Turbo" in the BIOS; temps are nothing short of fantastic.
So, I would go with the H220x and never look back. 🙂
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"

Were not talking about ALL-N-ONES... Thanks for the input though

Antronman
Level 10
Ah.

Well the stats show 140mm scaled radiators are superior to 120mm scaled radiators.

EKWB has a particular line of 120mm radiators which are very thick, they might be better than thinner 140mm radiators. Who knows?

There are no HSP 140mm fans available, but again, the stats show that doesn't matter much. So really it is up to you.

Do you want 120 scaled radiators or 140 scaled radiator? I mean, you could use 360mm radiators instead of 280mm radiators if your case allows. Along with that, keep in mind that the fan mounts don't matter as much as the specs for radiator support, as the radiators are wider than the width of how many fans you have mounted.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
There are no HSP 140mm fans available...

Noctua redux NF-P14s - http://noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=86&lng=en

It's pressure optimized but lacks the Focused Flow addition of the current gen designs.

jab383
Level 13
First, consider that radiator effectiveness depends primarily on surface area. On that basis, the area of two 140mm is about half again that of two 120mm. A 280 radiator has the watts vs temperature rise performance of a 360 of the same thickness. An important factor is what will fit in the case. My Coolermaster case can take a 280, so wasn't a drawback.

As for high pressure and flow in 140mm fans, check these. There is also a non-PWM version that isn't so good -- stay with the PWM.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19769/fan-1248/BitFenix_Spectre_Pro_All_Black_140mm_PWM_Fan_BFF-SP...

I have a dozen of these around my two rigs.

Jeff

Deon017
Level 8
I have been doing water cooling for a while now and I believe that you just need good fans and good pressure from your pumps - the difference in the radiators will maybe mean 1 or 2 degrees more or less - using fans on both sides or the radiator to pull and push makes a big difference - I have 2 x 280mm radiators in a Corsair 900D case on 2 loops, running interdependent and the only reason I got them was because the 900D case has the space, not because I believed they would work better

This is what i wanted to know more about. So your saying the performance of the radiator is really dependent on the fan quality you use.