cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g751jt-ch71 Battery question/problem. Thanks in advance for any advice!

INDIANAJUNE2
Level 7
Hey everyone, I'm new to all this so thanks and sorry if it's a dumb question but I just bought the asus rog g751jt-ch71 and have had it since last fri.
I followed the instructions when first using and charged the battery for three hours before using it in battery mode. Since then when I charge the battery the green light comes on on the base of the notebook by the key board but when I turn it on and move the cursor over the battery icon on the lower right hand of the desk top it said 97% and charging but never seemed to want to reach 100%. I thought maybe the PC was using more
Energy on at that point discharging then charging so I let it charge down then shut it down and tried charging it off. The green light came on ,So I turned it back on but the the icon on the desk top said 95% and charging and seemed to stay there for longer then usual .basically I'm wondering if this is something to worry about, don't like that it seems to be dropping. If it is normal witch is correct the green light or the icon? I just read on this forum that the battery is not replicable and would like to get the most life out of it posable and the right way.
6 REPLIES 6

sk3tch
Level 7
I think that's within "normal" parameters - mine said 97% the other day even though it had been plugged in for quite a while. Just be sure to let it run through a full cycle (from charged to nearly empty: < 10%) every few weeks and your battery will be fine. You do not need to "baby" these batteries as much as you did in the past.
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

Rares95
Level 8
You don't need to discharge your battery at all if you don't have to. It locks itself at 97-99% because the way the cells fill up with energy. Imagine a fragmented disk. When it's close to 97% it won't try to fill the spaces between the cells so it stops charging altogether. It may say that it's charging at 97% but if there is no progress at all, it means it's not charging, and it's drawing power from the cable. People still have the mentality that they have to "Format" a new battery by charging/discharging them, when in actuality they are using the limited times you can do this. Just like write/rewrite cycles on an SSD.

Reading this makes me really appreciate how far batteries have come. Gone are the days of heavy, weak, and fragile NiCads! Lithium Ion is awesome! I

I have a dewalt Lithium Ion cordless power tool kit and will NEVER go back.

NitroX
Level 10
You could also find some useful information in this thread (there are only 3-4 replies): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56326-Preserving-Battery-Life-CARE-Let-s-hear-your-ideas!

The fact that your battery gets stuck on 99/98/97/96/95% is normal because after you charge it to 100% then the battery isn't charged anymore and its power is cut off to increase the battery life.

INDIANAJUNE2
Level 7
Hey, thanks everyone! Glad to hear it's a non issue. Thought maybe It got a memory. Guess that's a thing if the past. I found something on google that said I might need to recalabrate my battery or just charge it till the battery light comes on then manual turn the desk top icon to say 100%. But I didn't know if I could trust that. Figured checking here first was the best thing to do. Glad I did. Maybe one of you can confirm, the battery is not replaceable but if needed in the future you can send it back to asus and pay them to do it is the deal as far as I can tell from browsing these fourms?

fabrimacator21
Level 7
The battery IS replaceable, just not as easily as most would consider "replaceable". I believe a more experienced member here said it was easy to do yourself but until someone makes a thread/tutorial of how to do it, you may want to pay to have it done.

That being said, your laptop should have come with a 1 year warranty so nothing to worry about for a while. Keep it plugged in as often as possible(once at 100% it runs completely off AC power, not battery, and won't charge the battery until it gets down to 95%). Try to run it down to 10% then charge it atleast one every couple weeks and it should last for a long time. I am not familiar with these newer batteries, but (knock on wood)Im hoping to get at least 3 years out of mine.

By the time you need a battery, I'm sure someone will have posted a walk through on how to replace the battery yourself....

Does anyone have a realistic battery lifespan estimate?

Here is the closest thing we have to a do it yourself thread as of now.....hopefully Kane will be kind enough to put one together for us.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53152-G751-non-replacable-battery-discussion/page2&highlig...