Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

It's about time I dedicated a post about:
    Solutions to Keyboard Backlight Issues (Fn+F3/F4)
    due to SW or HW source
    Solutions for SW issue ( Most common, start with this list ! )

Solutions for HW issue ( Least likely to happen, but possible )

• BUGGED/Bad BIOS or "it happens after windows update" -> Reflash/update/downgrade BIOS !!!
    • KB's connector (ribbon cable) miss-connected to the motherboard-> open laptop and reconnect the KB ribbon proprly.
    • if any of the above helped... perform the following guide, aka "Keyboard Light Fix (Gary Key)":
      ( NOTE: please know there is a RISK OF ENDING WITH A BRICKED BIOS if something done not correctly ! )
      ( Source&Credit: Gary Key & ziddy123 from forum.notebookreview.com )
      All the quoted files can be download from the attached: Keyboard Light Fixer Made by Gary.zip
      ** This method was reported to work even on G750JM ( Even though it was developed for the G73JH ) **

...are three compressed folders within the downloaded file.
      The fine people at HP produced an excellent USB Disk Tool that allows you to create a bootable USB Flash Drive and this program is located in the HPUSBDisk(rar) folder.
      In order to create a bootable drive you will also need the required DOS files and the nice personnel at Microsoft provided these files in the Win98boot(rar) folder. Extract both folders to your hard drive and open the HP USB Disk tool and follow the instructions to create a clean bootable flash drive.
      Additional instructions on how to do this are easily available via Google. After creating the bootable flash drive (FAT32 is the safest option) then you will want to extract the contents of the Fixmykb(rar) file to this drive.

For those of you who already have a bootable USB Flash Drive then you will want to extract the contents of the Fixmykb.rar file to this drive. Now you are ready to have the lights come on.
      1. Boot into Windows and turn off the lights completely using the light switch button in the upper left corner on the keyboard deck. Insert your bootable USB flash drive with the Fixmykb.rar contents extracted on to it.
      2. Reboot and quickly start tapping the Delete key to enter the BIOS. You will want to navigate to the Boot section of the BIOS and then change the Hard Drive boot settings on Option 1 to your Flash drive. Exit the BIOS while saving the settings and the unit should boot of the USB drive now.
      3. Once you have booted off the USB drive, simply type fixmykb and you should see a flash completion screen immediately. Remove the flash drive and power down the system.
      4. Wait ten seconds and then power up the system and enter Windows. Once in Windows, turn on the lights with the switch button and you should have a backlit keyboard now, use FN+F4 to brighten the keyboard or FN+F3 to dim it.If you have any questions or concerns please contact me. If this fix proves successful for you then it would be nice to hear it but more importantly if it did not work then we need you to PM me. I used this routine 500 times and it always returned the lights to working order on an approved ASUS BIOS. If you are using a modified BIOS, do not try this procedure without reverting back to an ASUS BIOS as it could render your system inoperable.
        Sincerely,
        Gary
    Last edited by Gps3dx; 08-22-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Please keep in mind the above listed information is from Hewlett Packard in 2010 and Win7. All download links for the utility are in fact dead. There are far more recent posts (2014) from ASUS owners that this did not work, please refer to the original material posted at Notebook review. Try at your own risk if you can find a working download.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 04-03-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post
    Solutions for HW issue ( Least likely to happen, but possible )
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Please keep in mind the above listed information is from Hewlett Packard in 2010 and Win7. All download links for the utility are in fact dead. There are far more recent posts (2014) from ASUS owners that this did not work, please refer to the original material posted at Notebook review. Try at your own risk if you can find a working download.
    I'll appreciate if you can provide other posts/threads about the issue so I can update that small guide.

About Gary's files - the truth please... Haven't I upload the files in the previous post, prior to your comment ?
    EDIT: for some unknown reason the attachment I provided didn't work up until now - Gary's files are accessible for any user in the forum.

About "Try at your own risk" - isn't it apply just about anything in a community based forum ?

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

I didn't post just to be wasting my less than stellar typing. I went over to Notebook review and read through the 6 year old thread in its entirety. I attempted to download there from several different sources, all dead and tried your link, dead also. If you got a copy and was able to post a link that works now, great. It wasnt at the time of my last posting.

This is higher risk than the usual as no one has tried it from what I read over there and got it to work on anything past Win7. Last of a working fix was 2014, all that have tried it on Win 8.1 failed, none posted Win 10.

Its a rarity that it is anything but the ATK Package that causes back light issues.

If I can get a working download Ill eyeball it and see what in there and if it applies to Win 8.1& Win 10 where some major changes were made. It would be awesome if it still works, just that no one has posted success lately.

Edit:
    Downloaded your copy and extractred and eyeballed it. Other than a boot disk creation tool for Win 98 that was made in 2004 and launching MS DOS command prompt the root of what is in it is this command line in a batch file

bt -c cnfg /w dd 7c

It includes a bt.exe BIOS writing tool. This command is writing 7c at location dd.

The other end of the stick is the warning of if its not recognized as an ASUS BIOS you could finish up with a rather large brick.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 04-04-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

--------- GUIDE: HOW TO CONFIG FN COMBO (fn+key) ---------

------- INCLUDING "ShadowPlay"Attachment 51727, "Steam"Attachment 51723, "ROG"Attachment 51987 --------

------- USING "AsusNbKeys" --------

List of remap-able fn+Key ( i.e Which Keys can be remap together with fn ):
    1, T, C, V, F3, F4, F7, F9, Num Enter,(arrows, not num) ↑, ↓, →, ←, Shadowplay, Steam, ROG
    Attachment 59082

------------------------------ Tips: Useful Remaps------------------------------
    I just finished updating my main "AsusNbKey" guide with useful remaps, made some order to the guide and added a "usage" guide for the users that asked for a better explanation.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

--------- GUIDE: HOW TO CONFIG FN COMBO (fn+key) ---------

------- INCLUDING "ShadowPlay"Attachment 51727, "Steam"Attachment 51723, "ROG"Attachment 51987 --------

------- USING "AsusNbKeys" --------

I've Just update my main "AsusNbKey" guide with useful remaps, made some order to the guide and added a "usage" guide for the users that asked for a better explanation.

ROG Member Array

There is a ton to look over here and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me.

I simply need to be able to adjust the volume and screen brightness, without pressing the function key.

I do not want to use the on screen controls. I'd like to use my keyboard. Can someone please help?

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnSham View Post
    There is a ton to look over here and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me.

I simply need to be able to adjust the volume and screen brightness, without pressing the function key.

I do not want to use the on screen controls. I'd like to use my keyboard. Can someone please help?
    use nircmd freeapp ( google it ).
    then you can make macro with the command:
    nircmd.exe changebrightness -20
    nircmd.exe changebrightness +20
    etc...
    it also got vol control in a similar matter.
    I made exe that utilize nircmd.exe... brightness_SCRIPTS.zip
    so nircmd.exe must be in the same dir as the exe I upload here. ( I only made for brightness - don't got the time to do more, sorry ).

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array hexaae PC Specs
    hexaae PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS
    MotherboardIntel HM370 Cannon Lake-H
    Processori7-8750H
    Memory (part number)32GB DDR4 @2666MHz (dual-channel)
    Graphics Card #1NVidia GTX 1070 8GB
    Monitor1080p 144Hz 17" G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2
    Storage #11TB SSD Crucial MX300
    Storage #2NVMe Samsung PM916
    Mouse Microsoft PN7-00004 Bluetooth Mobile Mouse 3600
    Mouse Pad MouseRug collection
    Headset/Speakers Realtek HD (ALC295)
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Accessory #1 XBox One S Bluetooth Gamepad
    Accessory #2 Competition Pro USB arcade joystick SpeedLink SL-6603-SPORTS-EU

Quote Originally Posted by doubtfm View Post
    There is an easier way to change the Steam Key not to go into Big Picture Mode. Go to your registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASUS\ATK Package

Change the value of "SteamStartupMode" from 1 to 0

Reboot and you're done. No longer big picture mode. There is no easier way to remove shadowplay functionality other than deleting the ATKRecHelp.exe

Hope this helps!
    Exactly. No need to hex-edit HControl.exe or other hacks...
    Tested with official ATK Version V1.0.0050 2016/10/17 (11.27 MB) "ATKPackage" https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of...Desk_Download/
    Last edited by hexaae; 01-11-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8