cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 How to change the Steam, Shadowplay buttons and Backlight timeout settings

Rares95
Level 8
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MIGHT OCCUR (THEY NEVER DID UNTIL NOW BUT JUST TO BE SAFE).

To change the Backlight timeout settings:

The lazy way:

The manual way:

• You press Windows Key + R and type in regedit
  • You go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASUS\

• Click the ATK Package folder
  • Look for TurnOffKeybdLight on the right panel
  • You double click it, switch to Decimal (Hexadecimal by default), and type in after how many seconds you want the keyboard backlight to turn off (60 seconds by default)
  • Restart your laptop for changes to apply

Thanks to Ary-Aman for posting this fix.

EDIT: SEEMS LIKE THIS IS UNNECESSARY AS THE NEWEST VERSION OPENS STEAM IN DESKTOP MODE BY DEFAULT
To change it so the Steam key opens up Steam in Desktop mode:

The lazy way (NOT UPDATED ANYMORE, USE THE OTHER METHODS):

• Go to
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey

• Go to Control Panel and stop HControl.exe (otherwise you can't replace the file for the next step)
  • Replace the HControl.exe with the one you need that you can find in the archive HERE > https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqbv34w0hcmqlkp/Steam%20Key%20Fix.rar?dl=0
  • Restart your laptop or double click the HControl.exe

The manual way:

• Download a HEX editor, i use HxD
  • Make a copy of
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControl.exe

• Open the copy of HControl.exe with HxD
  • Search for bigpicture
  • Replace it with games if you want to open your game library or you can customize it by replacing the path with something else from HERE > https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_browser_protocol
  • Go to Control Panel and stop HControl.exe (otherwise you can't replace the file for the next step)
  • Save your changes and replace the executable in the folder from step #2
  • Restart your laptop or double click the HControl.exe

Thanks to Xemax for posting this fix.

How to change Fn Combo,Shadowplay,Steam,ROG buttons guide by Gps3dx: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-...
86 REPLIES 86

Rares95
Level 8
Updated Thread

borgwarrior
Level 7
Interesting thing is, that Windows wont let me overwrite said file (to make steam open in desktop mode), stating i have to have administrator privileges. Being the only user, and an administrator, this surprised me.
G751JY-G73JW

Shame on you Nvidia.

If you still need it, i found a fix, you have to shut down hcontrol.exe in steam to be able to change the file.

Rares95
Level 8
That's how Windows 8/8.1 rolls...If you try to modify it directly it will give you an error. You have to make a copy, then modify the copy, then overwrite the original (if you do it manually)

borgwarrior
Level 7
That worked indeed. Thanks.
G751JY-G73JW

Shame on you Nvidia.

Exostenza
Level 9
I deleted the ATKRecHelp.exe file and now the button does nothing. Is there some way to make it open the nvidia control panel?

Rares95
Level 8
I don't really know about that, when i deleted mine, nvidia control panel opened.

Exostenza
Level 9
Well, mine just does nothing now...

Rares95
Level 8
Do you need the exe back?