cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable G-sync

yoloswag420
Level 7
Hi,

In some games I would like to have G-sync off and get high FPS. I can`t seem to disable G-sync, is it permanently enabled?

For eg) Playing CSGO, cap at 144hz with G-sync enabled when in full screen, and yes its smooth, but I would like higher FPS. If I play in windowed mode, the stutter is unplayable but obv G-sync is OFF.

Just not sure if there is something I am missing, I have turned G-sync OFF in the Nvidia settings... Just would like to know if it can be disabled.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Volt
Level 9
Yes it can be disabled.

There was a bug with Civilization : Beyond Earth that would not allow you to have screen resolutions beyond 1024x768 with g-sync turned on. I think I had to click the option off in the monitor settings, to do so.

But there might be a button on the monitor to turn that on/off. I might be confusing it with the 60/120/144 turbo key. Or there might be an option to enable/disable it for a particular game using the "Nvidia GeForce Experience" software.

Volt
Level 9
This guy shows how to enable g-sync using nvidia control panel settings. So do what he does, in reverse. 🙂

Although you probably already have done so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L6xpfGjBNo

Maybe running CSGO in window maximized mode could be a way to disable gsync? For it's not really full screen mode. And gsync needs it to be full screen to work.

yoloswag420
Level 7
Hi,

Yes I have tried the above, and it still turns itself back on lol.

The problem with playing any games in a window, is I get stuttering, feels like FPS drops. Thought it might of been my drivers but that didnt solve the issue.

Wondering if there is a fault? How would I find out if it is faulty? Although its only a few games that this happens.

Volt
Level 9
Sounds like a bug then. Do you have the most recent nVidia drivers?

Another workaround might be to enable VSync within CSGO. For I think VSync is suppose to be turned off in order for GSync to work. If the red light in the lower part of your monitor changes to a different color, then gsync is no longer active.

yoloswag420
Level 7
I just tried that, and still it forces itself back on lolol. Its like its doing what it wants to, and not what I want it to do 😄

Its a pretty weird problem 😞

estevesfr
Level 7
yoloswag420 i have the same problem .
Put the monitor to 120hz disable g sync on nvidia control panel but when i enter any game it turn on again and the monitor automaticaly go for 144hz.
WTF is happening , already uninstall and install nvidia drivers.

estevesfr wrote:
yoloswag420 i have the same problem .
Put the monitor to 120hz disable g sync on nvidia control panel but when i enter any game it turn on again and the monitor automaticaly go for 144hz.
WTF is happening , already uninstall and install nvidia drivers.

Yup, its annoying af lol. Also some games if I play in window mode, that stops G-sync but the game stutters.

I don`t know where to look for the answer so I am contacting Asus about it.

Volt
Level 9
It's working for me. I experimented a little bit with it today. Here is what I did.

1 - I opened up the NVIDIA Control Panel.
2 - Under Display/Set up G-SYNC toggeled off the check box for Enable G-SYNC
3 - An Apply and Cancel button showed up in the lower left of the window. I hit Apply.
4 - I then started a game.

I've only tried it with 2 games so far. Life is Feudal and Fry Cry 4. When I went in those games, I ahd a white button instead of a red button, in my Swift's lower right screen. Also the visible Fraps FPS display fluctuated past 144 at certain times.

When I went back to desktop to enable g-sync in the nvidia control panel and hit apply, to get it back, I had to restart the game for it to be g-synced.

For reference I'm using a gtx 970, driver version 347.09, Win 8.1

Volt wrote:
It's working for me. I experimented a little bit with it today. Here is what I did.

1 - I opened up the NVIDIA Control Panel.
2 - Under Display/Set up G-SYNC toggeled off the check box for Enable G-SYNC
3 - An Apply and Cancel button showed up in the lower left of the window. I hit Apply.
4 - I then started a game.

I have done this with The Crew as the game has a maximum of 60fps and getting screen tearing - it does disable G-Sync as you explained, just have to re-enable it again after.