cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise Edition

sickleave
Level 7
Rampage Extreme IV with Windows 7 64 Ultimate; is it possible to change from IRSTe to IRST without reloading the OS
3 REPLIES 3

ChiefZeke
Level 10
Just go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and install IRSTe. Why would you think doing this would cause a problem. Then install the lates IRST - as far as I know it's version IntelRapidStorageTech13_1_0_1058_WHQL
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

When I uninstall IRSTe, go into the bios and change from IRSTe to IRST and reboot it blue screens

@ChiefZeke - it's not os easy. Windows will not have drivers for Intel SATA controller in iRST mode so after switching mode in BIOS, it will BSOD with BOOT_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND error.

It's possible to change mode of boot controller but more complex than just that. You need a 'life raft':
1. make sure Asmedia SATA controller is enabled in BIOS, if not enable it, install drivers for Asmedia SATA controller in Windows, reboot.
2. shut down Windows, move your boot drive to Asmedia SATA port, in BIOS change boot device/sequence to same disk but now on Asmedia SATA port
3. boot Windows, it should come up succesfully (no BSOD), if it doesn't something wrong with Asmedia SATA driver installation
4. uninstall RSTe drivers, reboot
5. shutdown Windows, again go to BIOS, change Intel SATA mode from RSTe to iRST
6. boot Windows again, install iRST drivers, reboot
7. shutdown Windows, move boot disk back to Intel SATA port, change boot device to back to same disk but now on Intel SATA port
8. boot Windows again, it should boot with no BSOD and with iRST drivers