CPU CoolerCORSAIR Hydro Series H110
    CaseCoolerMaster Storm Trooper
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    Keyboard Corsair K70
    Mouse Logitech G700s
    Headset Sennheiser PC 363D
    OS Windows 8.1 64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC68R

How to proceed after getting windows errors?

This is where I'm at:

Followed the, ASUS X99 Motherboards – Easy 4.2GHz OC Setup Guide and was able to get to the desktop and perform a fifteen minute stress-test with temps below 70. Also used the machine to trans code video all day with 100% CPU load and everything ran great..FAST!

Seemed fine until twice tonight, playing Evolve, I received a "Windows needs to shutdown...gathering info" screen. along with this code:

(KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE). Got it twice right in the middle of epic games too!

I also received a "Protocol Error" a few times, that one could have been the games fault...maybe....because a few other people had been receiving it too according to Google?

This is exactly why I wanted the auto-overclock feature that the two "lesser" ASUS boards have. (and thought I was getting when I purchased the R5E) I never know when the system is messing up because of buggy software, or because the OC?

OK so with that bit of whining out of the way, I'm hoping to learn enough to get that 4.2 GHz back and somehow keep it? 4.2 GHz sounds very doable after reading what the average chips are getting and my cooling seems fine?

So, I set the ufei settings back to box-stock and all the errors went away. I played for an hour completely error free.

If I set everything back as per the guide, what can I do to avoid this situation again? The only contingencies the guide calls out are "If the temps are too high" or you don't make it to the desktop?

Thanks for any and all help!
    Last edited by yahknow1; 01-17-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yahknow1 View Post
    This is where I'm at:

Followed the, ASUS X99 Motherboards – Easy 4.2GHz OC Setup Guide and was able to get to the desktop and perform a fifteen minute stress-test with temps below 70. Also used the machine to trans code video all day with 100% CPU load and everything ran great..FAST!

Seemed fine until twice tonight, playing Evolve, I received a "Windows needs to shutdown...gathering info" screen. along with this code:

(KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE). Got it twice right in the middle of epic games too!

I also received a "Protocol Error" a few times, that one could have been the games fault...maybe....because a few other people had been receiving it too according to Google?

This is exactly why I wanted the auto-overclock feature that the two "lesser" ASUS boards have. (and thought I was getting when I purchased the R5E) I never know when the system is messing up because of buggy software, or because the OC?

OK so with that bit of whining out of the way, I'm hoping to learn enough to get that 4.2 GHz back and somehow keep it? 4.2 GHz sounds very doable after reading what the average chips are getting and my cooling seems fine?

So, I set the ufei settings back to box-stock and all the errors went away. I played for an hour completely error free.

If I set everything back as per the guide, what can I do to avoid this situation again? The only contingencies the guide calls out are "If the temps are too high" or you don't make it to the desktop?

Thanks for any and all help!

Are you sure you read the whole guide? People have a tendency to skim read or omit certain valuable sections by habit.

"Try 1.20V first, and if the system is unstable in stress tests after the settings are applied (press F10 to save and exit from UEFI), then you may need to tune Vcore (increase slightly) or reduce the CPU frequency."

That is in the guide, but I cannot see any evidence that you followed the advice from your post. Have you considered that a 15 minute sress test is not sufficient also? Did you try a lower CPU speed or more Vcore as the guide suggests?

If more Vcore or a lower CPU frequency does not aid stability then try without using the XMP profile - leave the DRAM at default frequency.

ROG Enthusiast Array MarshallD3Frampton PC Specs
    MarshallD3Frampton PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)(Win 10) Lenovo G50-30
    MotherboardASUS Rampage V Extreme X99 USB3.1
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5960X (5.5GHz OC)
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 Kingston Savage 2800MHz
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX Titan X Hydro Copper (OC)
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX Titan X Hydro Copper (OC)
    Sound CardSupremeFX 2014
    MonitorAcer G246HL
    Storage #1(1x) 3TB WD Red Pro 7200RPM
    Storage #2(1x) Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerDual-Rad CPU and Double GPU Custom Loop
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyEVGA 220-T​2-1600-X1 ​80 PLUS Ti​tanium 160​0W
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse MAD CATZ R.A.T.9
    Headset MAD CATZ F.R.E.Q.7
    Mouse Pad New Lunar Republic
    Headset/Speakers Technics Reference Class R1 (Complete)
    OS Windows 7 Ultimate
    Accessory #1 (1x) Metal Gear Solid Foxhound Stickers
    Accessory #2 (1x) Zelda and Link - The Legend of Zelda White Case Vinyl Sticker
    Accessory #3 Samsung SH-224FB/RSMS DVD/CD Writer

This problem, is usually represented incorrectly by the OS, and is often due to a Driver Problem in DirectX, however a more likely problem is that through installation of the Game, the System32 File has lost a driver or two, and has been inable to access a specific .dll file, because of the lack of another, this exact problem is one of the more frequent found, especially among the X99 Boards, however fixing it is rather easy, install the Driver Update tool directly from Windows Website (or If you're using W10) Install it through Windows Update. if the Problem is Direct X, be sure to reinstall Direct X again, fully